Crow River

Six Danish Gold beans have been put to soak. 

I made a soaking solution as follows:

10ml 3% H2O2 

190ml distilled water

1g of granulated sugar

Mixed up in a jar. Took a second, smaller, sterile jar and put the beans in. Then topped up with the soaking solution. 

I will leave the jar for 24 hours, by which time I hope to see signs of life... :) 

• Like 3

Sounds like a plan :yep:          Love a bit of  Au Natural  mate :george:          Nothing ventured ... nuffink gained :yep: 

Scatter them beans  & all the very best with it mate

• Like 2

@OldFord thanks mate. Just trying to keep things interesting! :) I recall seeing @brock1's pics of those self-seeded plants and marvelling at it all. I have to try it...

Edited by Crow River
  • Like 2

Just now, Revive said:

@Crow River good luck with this little project brother, sounds like it's gonna be a lot of fun hope it works out for you..really interesting 1 this :v:

Thanks man! I think with this and the Welsh and Scottish repros I'll have plenty to keep me busy over the long, dark winter months. I'm owing some test grows to Mark too so will fit them in somehow... Hopefully will have some beans from the crosses I'm trying to make just now as well. So if all goes well, will have a bunch of my own hacks by the spring ready to test... :yep:

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Crow River said:

I think with this and the Welsh and Scottish repros I'll have plenty to keep me busy over the long, dark winter months

2 very interesting projects mate, I forgot about the Scottish and Welsh.. you like to stay busy and clearly love the challenge so its a right up your street..

If you can get some hacks made ready for next season then that will be awesome dude..I will be running my own hacks next year hopefully, so far its all on track I just need these girls to get moving so I can get them dusted, time is ticking by now..

Its all about having fun mate isnt it :yep:

• Like 1

Just now, Revive said:

Its all about having fun mate isnt it :yep:

Absolutely! All about the journey, trying out different approaches, experimenting. I'm really having a blast lately, must be said. There comes a point where you know just enough to have the confidence to try new things. Not in any way claiming to be an expert, far from it. lol Enjoying learning new skills. Oh yeah, and as a side benefit, maybe I get some killer ganja out of it all. :bong:

• Like 2

Been checking on my wee jar with soaking seeds. Last night, after 24 hours, nothing much. However just checked again, and we have life! Three seeds have tiny radicles emerging, and the others look like the shell has split. :yep:

Time to get some potting mix together and get these beans planted... :) 

It appears that I have 100% germination. :) All the seeds are now in potting mix in the propagator. We'll see how they get on by the window over the next week...

• Like 3

Currently there are three seedlings by the window. I took them out of the propagator to prevent possible damping off. The other three seeds have not sprouted yet, maybe they won't ever. Will give them a bit longer. Still, 50% success is not so bad... 

E2A: Just checked and a fourth seedling has sprouted. Put it next to the other three by the window. That's good for ten year old seeds... :) 

Here they are, four Danish Gold seedlings (so far):

large.IMG_20230910_155629.jpeg

Edited by Crow River
Extra update
  • Like 4

A weekly update on the four Danish Gold seedlings. All still alive, three growing quite well, but the fourth has stayed tiny. I'm not sure why, but it might be the temperatures have stalled it. Nights have been quite cool recently, they were on the windowsill with the window partly open. I've moved them back from the window a bit, but they still get no heat except from the sun. I'm trying not to pamper them, I need strong, vigorous plants to breed with. So we'll see how they get on.

Decided to grow these to five nodes, top and flower out clones to determine sex. Can also then do two batches of open pollination, which opens up the possibility to pollinate more strains. So I could do one pollination just of auto flowering strains, and one for just photoperiod strains. Then have two 'natural selection' sites, one for autos, the other for photos. Also it means I should be able to collect larger amounts of Danish Gold pollen from any males not selected for this pollination.

As Danish Gold is an outdoor strain, to grow and flower indoors perhaps I will need to programme the lights somehow to make the shift from 18 hours of light to 11 more 'natural' while not spreading it out over several months. Maybe time to invest in a digital timer...

large.IMG_20230917_003114.jpeg

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

The Danish Gold seedlings are about ready to pot up. They're doing quite well by the window. The sunshine over the last couple of days doubtless helped. I also have a supplementary LED lamp above them for much of the night, to top up their light ration. The tiny seedling is starting to grow a bit better, which is good to see.  Only three leaves though, which is a bit odd.

Still haven't popped any fems for crossing with, but there's time yet.

large.IMG_20230926_234443.jpeg

• Like 2

Danish Fold seedlings are now potted up into small fabric pots. The idea is that they will stay relatively compact, air pruning stopping them from being root bound and thus reducing stress on the plants.

large.IMG_20230929_003307.jpeg

• Like 1

The Danish Gold seedlings are growing fairly steadily, maybe a bit slower than optimal but that's because they're not getting any extra heat, just the sun's rays. Even the little runt of the litter is making progress. When they eventually get to five nodes, the plants will be topped, and the clones flowered out once big enough. The clones will be used to cross with some auto strains initially. Also if there are Danish Gold females I'll make F2s. I might try and keep the plants from seed as mums/dads, and take extra cuts of any males to flower and pollinate photo strains later. So effectively there will be two "forks" in this wee project: an autoflower based one, and a photoperiod based one. With a bit of luck, there might be auto/DG cross seeds available to put outside in the new year...

large.IMG_20231003_014204.jpeg

• Like 5