Crow River

Inspired by @brock1's experience of self-seeding weed from a bulldozed outdoor grow, I would like to try an experiment in naturally germinated cannabis. 

The starting point will obviously have to be regs, and very tough strains preferably as I'm at a northerly latitude. I presume I will need a lot of seeds too, as most of them probably won't make it past seedling stage. It so happens I have a fair number of outdoor reg seeds. Some were purchased at a discount, some freebies. A lot are "old stock". 

Maybe the first stage will be to germinate some indoors, probably in an unheated space so they are not overly mollycoddled. Whatever sprouts can be topped and cloned once it reaches five nodes, and the clones added in to the mix before switching to flower. The resulting open pollination should produce a lot of seeds. 

Once dried I can take several hundred mixed seeds and broadcast them over some raked soil in a well chosen location. Was thinking to make use of a plot that I had to abandon earlier this year. Can perhaps sow some clover at the same time, for cover and also to fix nitrogen in the soil as a natural fertiliser. Also some poisonous plants round the perimeter to deter the curious... :skull:

Ideally, I would be sowing seeds outside sometime this month or next, but that is impossible due to timescales. Even if I germinate some regs this week, it would be November probably before I could begin outside. That might work, the frost will winterise the seeds nicely for germination next spring.

Looking at the regs I have in decent numbers (20+), I have some from HFH: Danish Gold and Wild 3. Both are decent early finishers. I also have Grapefruit/DC x Wild 3, but too late probably for my area. Thai Passion and Mighty Passion from Bald Monkey are definite candidates. Also Mighty White, Ultra Early Love F6 from Proseeds which could be interesting. I have Top Tao Outdoor Mix 2 and Auto Mix that can be worked with, Sensi Outdoor Mix and Smottie Remix too but reckon this last is more for indoors. Also have regs from Dutch Passion, RGSC, KC Brains, Nirvana, Soviet Finland, TerpyZ and some other HFH strains but in smaller numbers so I'm ruling them out just now. Obviously I have a bunch of subbies as well, including @brock1 offerings, but again smaller numbers. Also a whole bunch of fems from Gnome's Seeds and Phoenix Seeds in larger numbers that could be pollinated by regular males. 

Anyway, yeah kinda spoilt for choice. :D I'm probably going to start with the HFH stuff, see what happens. I will have a think about planning and timing, but might wet some beans very soon.

The reason this idea appeals is once the seeds are out in the wild, it's the ultimate low maintenance, plant and leave grow. Might possibly produce some really hardy plants through natural selection. After several generations, could have a killer GG strain. Or it might all be a failure. Either way will be interesting.

Comments welcome.

Edited by Crow River
  • Like 5

Here is a little tip mate. Just try and get everything in the first generation pollenated by a single male. Mane have have a SHD x Sk89 / cali O sk father so their all atleast have siblings. This with help stabilise the genetics a little. Otherwise you going to have bag seed looking plant for the next 20 year unless you interact with heavy culling. That kinda defeats the natural selection and prevent it from happening any time soon :yinyang: otherwise good sounds like a bit of a fun project :hippy:

Edited by brock1
  • Like 2

Just now, Crow River said:

@brock1, good advice as ever, thanks! Simplifies logistics slightly too, just need to pick a good male from the right strain... :) 

Thats it but only in the first generation. Mine had roughly 12 different strains originally. Honestly that's probably over kill. If I started this intentionally I would probably go with 6-8 with around 3-5 females of each. Once their all sexed & seeded just walk away & restraint yourself from any interaction at all for a few years. :chains:

• Like 2

Thinking through this, if I start with Danish Gold and Wild 3, then select a Danish Gold as pollinator for any females, I'll have Danish Gold F2 and effectively a back cross to Danish Gold from the Wild 3 (as it is a Danish Gold cross). Or I could select a Wild 3 male, and end up with Wild 3 F2 plus Danish Gold Wild 3 BX1 or somesuch... Depends what germinates, but I'm edging towards the latter if feasible. Can also chuck some other strains, either fems or reg females in the mix for a bit of variety.

Edited by Crow River
  • Like 1

Thinking through this, if I start with Danish Gold and Wild 3, then select a Danish Gold as pollinator for any females, I'll have Danish Gold F2 and effectively a back cross to Danish Gold from the Wild 3 (as it is a Danish Gold cross). Or I could select a Wild 3 male, and end up with Wild 3 F2 plus Danish Gold Wild 3 BX1 or somesuch... Depends what germinates, but I'm edging towards the latter if feasible. Can also chuck some other strains, either fems or reg females in the mix for a bit of variety.

Honestly I would go with some random indoor strains & create something completely new using only 1 outdoor male strain. With this style of breeding you don't need to think so much about outdoor genetics because its survival of the fittest. If you add a load of hardy inbreed outdoor strains the genetics will take over naturally because these phenos are already reasonably hardy. :hippy:

• Like 1

Just now, brock1 said:

Honestly I would go with some random indoor strains & create something completely new using only 1 outdoor male strain. With this style of breeding you don't need to think so much about outdoor genetics because its survival of the fittest. If you add a load of hardy inbreed outdoor strains the genetics will take over naturally because these phenos are already reasonably hardy. :hippy:

That's an interesting thought. Maybe I could throw in some auto strains too, which opens up the possibilities even further. Maybe I'll look again at some strains I've grown which I enjoyed... :yep: Always good to talk these things with the benefit of your expertise! :) 

• Like 1

That's an interesting thought. Maybe I could throw in some auto strains too, which opens up the possibilities even further. Maybe I'll look again at some strains I've grown which I enjoyed... :yep: Always good to talk these things with the benefit of your expertise! :) 

If you put auto's in they will all eventually turn auto. Mine will all be auto eventually because they all contain SHD. So if your wanting a larger plant i wouldn't use the auto. If your wanting smaller discrete plant chuck some in :hippy:

• Like 1

This has been really useful already, just thinking out loud and getting feedback from the ever helpful @brock1:yep:

Revised and refined plan as follows:

Starting point is HFH Danish Gold. Find a good strong male if possible. Keep the females to make F2s.

Then, the easiest organising principle for females is going by numbers. What do I have the most of, whether regs or fems? Excluding outdoor strains is an interesting constraint. If I run with that, then we have these candidates for pollination.

Truck and Zamaldelica by Proseeds (regs)

Gorilla Glue and Grape Jam from Gnome's Seeds (fems)

Kush Mintz from Barney's Farm (fems)

SOS from Sawney's Beans (auto fems)

Auto Tao Mix from Top Tao Seeds (auto regs)

Smottie Remix from Budelaire (regs)

Strong Stuff and Super Kush Auto from Phoenix Seeds (fems/auto fems)

Auto Sour Diesel from Silver Leaf (auto fems)

That's 11 strains, not counting the Danish Gold. Makes it a bit easier to filter out the ones that may not be suitable. For example, Zamaldelica takes a really long time to flower, not sure it fits. Smottie Remix and Auto Tao Mix might have a lot of variability. That could be an advantage, but maybe I need to make things simpler. So put them to one side for now. That leaves 8 strains, plus the Danish Gold. :) 

Looks like I have my starters.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, brock1 said:

If you put auto's in they will all eventually turn auto. Mine will all be auto eventually because they all contain SHD. So if your wanting a larger plant i wouldn't use the auto. If your wanting smaller discrete plant chuck some in :hippy:

Going for maybe a semi-auto? Up north and all that... Also more discreet. Big trees is probably a different project... :) 

Edited by Crow River
  • Like 1

Going for maybe a semi-auto? Up north and all that... Also more discreet. Big trees is probably a different project... :) 

Thats good in principle but not possible. The semi auto need to be a F1/R1 photo x auto. The way this type open pollination works stops this from happening because the line need to be inbreed for a number of generations. Fast version breeding is a totally different requirement. For a good fast version your need to start with a super fast auto. Size is irrelevant & bigger auto's breed poor fast versions. My El Maria for example is far smaller than SHD & yeild is obviously less. But she flowers faster & make greater fast versions in the F1/R1 fast version. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, brock1 said:

Thats good in principle but not possible. The semi auto need to be a F1/R1 photo x auto. The way this type open pollination works stops this from happening because the line need to be inbreed for a number of generations. Fast version breeding is a totally different requirement. For a good fast version your need to start with a super fast auto. Size is irrelevant & bigger auto's breed poor fast versions. My El Maria for example is far smaller than SHD & yeild is obviously less. But she flowers faster & make greater fast versions in the F1/R1 fast version. 

Maybe then in the first generation I'll potentially produce some semi-auto / fast versions. I can reserve F1 seeds to test grow. SOS stays small and is very fast flowering, so should produce a very fast Danish Gold cross... The Super Kush Auto and Auto Sour Diesel crosses will be larger, and maybe slower too. Super Kush Auto supposedly quite fast, not grown it out yet. Auto Sour Diesel will be slower.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Crow River said:

Maybe then in the first generation I'll potentially produce some semi-auto / fast versions. I can reserve F1 seeds to test grow. SOS stays small and is very fast flowering, so should produce a very fast Danish Gold cross... The Super Kush Auto and Auto Sour Diesel crosses will be larger, and maybe slower too. Super Kush Auto supposedly quite fast, not grown it out yet. Auto Sour Diesel will be slower.

You can reverse the F1 to keep them fast versions. If you reverse a f1 you will get a mix of auto & photos in the offspring 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, brock1 said:

You can reverse the F1 to keep them fast versions. If you reverse a f1 you will get a mix of auto & photos in the offspring 

Also very good advice. Sounds like a plan for those reserved seeds! :yep:

Here's the starting point. Some old stock HFH Danish Gold which arrived as surprise freebies recently. 11 beans in the pack, I'll wet half a dozen initially. They are probably ten years old. I will give them a soak in some H2O2 first. Good practice for the Welsh repro... ;) 

large.IMG_20230902_192101.jpeg

• Like 5