Hermies.... Not again! What am I doing wrong?

Oakapple

@ratdog Me too!

After the Afghan hash dried up, there was that bloody awful soap that took a red hot knife to cut it.

That ain't natural.

It was a 'New Age traveller'  that recommended that I grow- and he taught me the basics - and gave me a cutting. {Thanks G wherever you are}

Never went back to hash {or ''Tyres and pollen''} So say the Soap merchants shipped it to the UK as we were the only people to buy it. It had coffee and henna in it- and probably urea formaldehyde.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ratdog said:

that's what started me growing mate. as for the tent, i focus mainly on temps and dew point for bud rot in later flower. if you are having issues with cold roots i can recommend a heat mat, i use them all year round, except the hottest months. i've even got a little heater in mine atm lol

as for light leaks, you should see the state of the zips on my tents lol my tents are never light tight

Heat was suggested by another member too. 
The heater has a red light on it so will need to cover that bad boy up with silver tape.

This forum is so helpful 

It seems to really improve people’s grows if they stick with advice given. 

Plus the support where others have had issues and overcome them. 

• Like 2

A bit of lateral thinking: if you can grow blueberry, or other susceptible strain, with no herms, you've likely mastered the stress-free environment and can pat yourself on the head. :) 

Edited by catweazle1
  • Like 1

Stop fretting and dont be so eager to bin the suspected hermies is what experience has taught me..........

ime some plants take a little while to decide gender whereas some are Definite females ,Some are Definite males and some are easily swayed ....

Are you Sure you dont have any light leaks and a reliable timer....?

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, catweazle1 said:

A bit of lateral thinking: if you can grow blueberry, or other susceptible strain, with no herms, you've likely mastered the stress-free environment and can pat yourself on the head. :) 

Sadly I did have Blueberry herm! ... She threw Nanners {1997} Didn't risk her again..but a lovely smoke.

@Mr mcgregor I bought a new Maxibrite Contacter to start anew with-  

The old contacter board I had was made by a sparky, {1996} and it got knocked over and the trip switch on it began making a buzzing sound - the Sparky who made it has retired.

I looked at the old  Grasslin timer...it was behaving nicely and not switching on at odd times {I tested it with a table lamp just now}

The Maxibrite one comes on at 18:57   Off at 06:52   {Not a pure 12/12 as there is a 5 minute discrepancy on the timer..

Do you think having plants 'Awake' overnight and 'asleep' in the day could be affecting them?

They used to be on a more daytime schedule.

I daren't leave any 'unsure' of gender plant in my tent, as had seeds in my 'Perpetual' from sacs pumping out pollen {Due to me not checking diligently enough} :wallbash:

@Mr mcgregor  Before putting three plants  in there for 12/12 I darkness tested the tent which is in an unused room {the room itself is dark with lightproof plastic newly taped over large window.

There is an extension cable {red LED}  outside tent..that has silver tape over it. 

Thanks everyone who replied so far.

Just now, Oakapple said:

Do you think having plants 'Awake' overnight and 'asleep' in the day could be affecting them?

How would they know?

Atb

:yinyang:

• Like 2

Just now, Shumroom said:

How would they know?

Atb

Maybe they can ''Sense'' the gravitational pull of the moon...Or am I being ridiculous!

Some old Almanacs used to mention planting certain seeds by Moon Phase.. But maybe I'm reaching too far - Maybe a little statue of Shiva in the room might help? {I'm that desperate!}

The old  Govt. 'Eden Hashish Centre' Nepal calendars used to have Shiva on them...{Yes, this is going into the realm of superstition now}

• Like 1

I have so many holes in my big tent that when I turn my bedroom light off it looks like light beams coming out of a black hole in space lol

• Like 2

Just now, Oakapple said:

Some old Almanacs used to mention planting certain seeds by Moon Phase.

that's as a calender, the moon is the same distance from the earth more or less all the time, and a full moon just means the sun is illuminating all of it, no difference in pull whatsoever

• Like 2

Just now, ratdog said:

that's as a calender, the moon is the same distance from the earth more or less all the time, and a full moon just means the sun is illuminating all of it, no difference in pull whatsoever

That's a shame...I wanted to believe that the moon phase did make a difference to plants. 

Maybe science has dispelled the older myths and beliefs.

Back to the drawing board :) 

Just now, Shumroom said:

Get a couple of bronze Shiva statues to guard against hermies :pitchfork::pitchfork:

Atb

I have a wooden Shiva packed away - I will hang him in the Tent with his flute and Holy Cow. {I think it's Shiva..} 

Can't do any harm .. 

Edit : Think he might be Krishna with flute and Cow...Just googled.

Edited by Oakapple
  • Like 1

Just now, Oakapple said:

That's a shame...I wanted to believe that the moon phase did make a difference to plants. 

I think it’s maybe more relevant for outdoor crops.

Eg. You want the light of the full moon for harvesting before the heat of the mid day sun perhaps :g:

Atb

• Like 1

Talking about the Moon: do outdoor plants herm in the light of it? That answers the question of whether a few small holes in ones tent cause them.

• Like 2