Hermies.... Not again! What am I doing wrong?

Oakapple

Hello wonderful 420-ites.

I am literally on my knees now re hermies.

I had a previous light leak, [now solved] and two weeks ago put in three {vegged too long most likely} plants, two 'Freebies' from 'Perfect Tree' {Tropicozz} and a Barney's Farm Peyote Critical

They are currently under a 400w HPS.

They are on Day 14 {Week 2} of 12/12.

I have been checking for herms twice daily, {Light comes on at 7pm and goes off at 7am}

Two days ago, I saw a suspicious 'object' at a couple of nodes of one of the Tropicozz.

I took a photo of it, I fear it is an immature pollen sack. 

It's not easy to upload pics, so am going to have to re read through @Shumroom'guide to post.

A very kind member advised that I post in sick plants, as there MUST be something I'm doing wrong. 

I was previously used to very stable genetics, but lost those.

I can't quit- I just cannot give up- there has to be a reason for it.

Prepared to be told absolutely straight - am all ears!

Many thanks :) 

• Like 1

Can't see much of your plant there but what I can see, looks okay.

As you probably know, if it was a female budlet it'll have two translucent hairs sticking out of it.
No panic at the mo' though as it'll take awhile before it has the ability to unload on everything.
Pull it off and carry on...
Leave it there and keep an eye on it...

Barney's you say? emm...

Just had one hermie on me. I feel your pain brother.

Good luck...

• Like 3

Just now, PHatDriver said:

Can't see much of your plant there but what I can see, looks okay.

As you probably know, if it was a female budlet it'll have two translucent hairs sticking out of it.
No panic at the mo' though as it'll take awhile before it has the ability to unload on everything.
Pull it off and carry on...
Leave it there and keep an eye on it...

Barney's you say? emm...

Just had one hermie on me. I feel your pain brother.

Good luck...

@PHatDriver..This one is a 'Perfect Tree' 'Tropicozz'- 

I'm sorry you have the same issue..

I'm worried that If I pull it, more will come- 

What variety hermed on you?..Herms are a real pain.

Is it genes, is it environment, is it both?

I hope yours was caught in time.

In the past, I used that 'foliar switch' as a preventer on day 7 and 17 of flower {against my better judgement}  but there were still seeds and the yield was sub par. 

Hence scrapping and starting over- to only  see  potentially the same issue! 

• Like 1

I've had very little dealings with hermies tbh.

A few over the years but not many, I think most were fem seeds from sensi but can't really remember.

Most of the time it's down to stress, be it environment, light leaks, cold roots etc but something is stressing them to turn them.

I'm not saying that it isn't genetic because some strains a notorious for it, blueberry being one that comes to mind, but most of the time I'd say its down to your growing conditions.

Saying that I don't think it occurs as much with reg seeds as it does with fems but that could just be my experience.

Hope you get it sorted not something you want happening all the time.

• Like 4

Welllllll... lol

As far as I know, it's normally the grower at fault.
If it's not the grower, then it's the plant - seed, genetics etc.
Ha, ha... What an answer, huh? It's the grower, if not the strain... You don't say. :)
Apparently a load of US strains are prone to hermie.
I've never grown anything from Tropicozz. Don't know what they are like, soz.

What's a "preventer"? Never heard of it.
When I started I bought everything. Found out I don't need any of the fancy stuff.
Keep it BASIC man. Just PH'ed water and a bit of food.
I've just stopped PHing my water now as I've just found out I have hard water and may not need to PH.
When I add food the PH swings a bit and that can be good for the plant.
It will be able to up take different nut's at different quantities at different times.
If you can understand that (me)?

Hermied on me last grow. Had 4 on the go and it done the lot!
Every joint I make, I'm still finding seed! I just eat them. :)
Still nice stuff though, getting me wrecked.

Pull the plants out and get in the tent with light off. You'll find any light leeks shining.
Are you over/under watering?
Are you feeding too much?
Did you fart around your plants? lol
Wild temp swings?
Some can be a bit temperamental.
Gotta try and keep everything in check, all at the same time, every grow.
BASICs...

Right, I'm off for a smoke. Don't expect a coherent me when I get back.

Much Love...large.Preggers.jpg

large.646f719f857a4_HermieSeedsPacks.jpg

Edited by PHatDriver
  • Like 3

it's got Skittlez in it.. hermie-prone for one. When breeders start crossing hermie strains and feminizing/selfing them as well, they are concentrating the hermie tendency. I haven't had one in the last few years and I haven't been particularly conscientious about light leaks. I learn about hermie-prone strains, then check my choices don't have them in their genetics. If it's got cake/gorilla glue/cherry/skittlez/durban/thai/blueberry the risk is higher than usual. it's mainly the Thai in many, I think, and breeders not stressing plants to find them before using them as breeding plants. The feminizing process with the same plant expresses recessive genes if the selection dice rolls that way as well. If a breeder gives their seeds delectable, delicious sounding names... I personally swerve away. They are selling you marketing.

Edited by catweazle1
  • Like 5

As already mentioned,

some breeders don't give a fuck what problems they might be creating further along the way.

So long as some specimens look good for instawank :) 

Stick with tried and tested genetics,

not the freebies given away by seedwanks or those with bright shiny packages or amazing artwork.

You're already on your way by becoming a subscriber to UK420 :D 

Atb

:yinyang:

• Like 5

@Oakapple  Bit hard to see it's shape definition from the pic, Some white light would help the picture. Looks like something to keep an eye on but wouldn't panic yet :yep:

I've only had a herm 3 times, One was a Barney's but the other two wasn't, The barneys i let run for far too long so ened up with 88 seeds(currently growing one atm), Northern Lights Blue one hermed early into flower so got binned (Probably the Blueberry), and the other i only found 3 immature seed in the whole grow. Genetics defiantly play a big part but also environment and stress too.

• Like 2

@Oakapple and others reading this thread,

have you given @Seedstockers-Mark a shout to see if you can join the upcoming Grow Off?

Register for an account on the Seedstockers website if you don't already have one.

Ask Mark if you can take part and the seeds will be sent out to you directly from Seedstockers :thumsup:

There's a few of us all going to be growing the same plants,

so that will show whether it's you or the genetics lol 

Atb

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, Shumroom said:

@Oakapple and others reading this thread,

have you given @Seedstockers-Mark a shout to see if you can join the upcoming Grow Off?

Register for an account on the Seedstockers website if you don't already have one.

Ask Mark if you can take part and the seeds will be sent out to you directly from Seedstockers :thumsup:

There's a few of us all going to be growing the same plants,

so that will show whether it's you or the genetics lol 

Atb

That would be sooo interesting! 

Though to make it really ''Is it environment'' it would have to be a cutting from same mother- but heck, I'd be up for that! 

I used to grow heavy ass buds that needed supporting with narrow  strips of J cloth.. to canes

Where have those days gone... :unsure:

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Shumroom said:

As already mentioned,

some breeders don't give a fuck what problems they might be creating further along the way.

So long as some specimens look good for instawank :) 

Stick with tried and tested genetics,

not the freebies given away by seedwanks or those with bright shiny packages or amazing artwork.

You're already on your way by becoming a subscriber to UK420 :D 

Atb

Instawank....I haven't been in there for years..

For that reason.

BUT I bought the hype of Barneys- those pretty ass pics, the Bud Pawn.

I will send postal order tomorrow to PO Box number.  {Membership}

Heck, the advice alone is worth it.

• Like 2