Filter on the floor with led

Hazeytones

I'm in the process of setting up a new grow space and have been thinking about my extraction setup. I always had my extraction up top but since switching to led after a few runs in the tent I think it might be a better idea to drop the filter to the floor.

My biggest concern about this is humidity effecting the filter. I will be setting up a 3x3 no till bed in roughly a 5x4 space, so the filter would be right beside the bed and it crossed my mind that this might not be a great idea having it right beside the moist bed of soil incase it was drawing to much moisture.

Head height in the room won't be a problem. I have over 2m so it could go up top if needs be, I just wanted to  take as much advantage of pulling heat down as possible.

The alternative is to build a frame for the bed to sit on with heaters underneath and have the filter up top pulling the heat up and heating the soil in the process. I'm starting to think this might be a better idea, it would also give me a bit of floor space to walk around the bed.

Anyone running the filter on the floor have you had any issues with humidity? Do you think there's much advantage to running it this way?

Cheers

Edited by Hazeytones

@Hazeytones

Could always have a couple of fans to channel the heat to the floor to create a more average temp. technical name is thermal de-stratification but you need a specific fan that creates a channel as opposed to a standard circular fan

The zon has a fan called the vornado 633, couple of these would see you right.

Know a lot of people do it that way, I personally don't, also means flipping your tent over so the passive vents are at the top unless you're using an active intake.

Rh would worry me too

Edited by sweettooth
  • Like 2

This is what I've done before when the filter was up top, just had a fan blowing down on the led drivers.

I'm going to be building the space so I can put the intakes wherever I like, don't really want to be cutting holes then change my mind though.

I've always used passive intakes and like knowing that I've got negative pressure but was considering running an active in the new space. I just wouldn't want to run into any smell issues and I'm not really sure it makes much of a difference being passive or active along as enough air is getting in. It's another thing to make a decision on. 

could always make use of ducting back draft shutters to give you the option if you decide to go active.

I've used fans blowing on drivers before but those other style of fans create a proper channel to distribute the air instead of circulating it.

I'd go up top if it were me

I had a quick look at them, they deffo look a good bit of kit. I'm leaning more to going up top if I'm honest. 

Do you use an active intake? 

always been passive but currently have a new dehumidifier that acts as an active, its rated at 150cfm. I just make sure my 6inch outlet is at 50% minimum so I keep a negative pressure

• Like 1

Yeah I think setting a higher minimum % if I was running an active is what I'd do. An active would be handy to attach to a box with a heater in aswell. I done this with my small tent with a passive intake but think it would be harder with 5 6inch pieces of ducting.

• Like 1

I was going to go the heated duct route but find the new dehumidifier does the job at keeping temps up and keeps my rh% sweet as a nut

• Like 1

I don't quite get how the dehumidifier is working as your intake though. I thought you just set the dehumidifier in the grow space and had your extraction as normal, either active or passive intake then your cf and fan going out with the dehumidifier controlling the humidity within the growspace not bringing ait in if that makes sense.

it's ductable so is sat outside the tent, much better results, doesn't draw all the moisture out the pots. There is an option of having the fan run all the time but only with an expensive humidistat, for the first few days I set it to always on so it was supplying a source of clean dry air but the temps were a bit high so its now riggerld up to the inkbird controller. moving forwards, I will get that other expense addon so the fan is always on and the actuall dehumidifying process will kick in when triggered, that way I've got an always on active intake and the airs being filtered so no airborne nasties, mold spores, pests or mites

• Like 2

I know what you mean. It can become an expensive hobby, I always tell myself I'd smoke the cost of most things I buy in a week if I were buying off a dealer. Makes me feel better lol

Just looked at the one your talking about, I wouldn't smoke £1200 in a week lol looks a good bit of kit but definitely out of my budget.

Edited by Hazeytones
  • Like 1

um yeah..... add on the hanging kit (75) and the ducting kit (75)... and the ducting and an external humidistat (250)

:scared:

haven't even bought the extra lights yet

• Like 1