Dry sift screens - nylon or stainless steel?

Gaijin

Afternoon all,

I'm thinking I best do something with the half pound of trim I have stashed away somewhere, before I produce even more. Found a website that wants to sell me a couple of screens made out of some very nice oak, for stupid money that they'll never get out of me lol Hundreds of pounds ffs lol 

Found sellers on eBay that are selling screen material with various hole sizes in microns. I'm seeing stainless steel mesh and nylon mesh. Any preference there? Any reason why one over the other? I figure I should be capable to cutting some wood up myself 

Second question, how many sizes do I really need? My brain is telling me something like 150 and 90 will be all I'll need, but I'm not entirely sure why lol Whatever comes of it, I'll be smoking myself, so I don't need to be super fussy. I guess one screen that lets most of the goodies through and a slightly smaller size to see if further quality can be obtained? 

Any and all advice/comments welcome and appreciated :) 

• Like 1

love a bit of sift paid a little over the odds for my set but never regret it after my first run with them lasted me few years now an still going strong. brand i bought was squishit dont think they are still around but i could be wronge paid just over 200 for 4 screens the microns are 250,165,149,75. the 250 is handy for keeping most of the larger particules out then all the larger particules that make thru that screen are usually hairs and the 165 micron takes care of that after that screen its usually down to small leaf particules in with sift and smaller un ripe heads thats where i would highly recommend using the 75 micron screeen as your best heads will sit on top of this screen and as you work the sift to clean it up the small un ripe heads an dusty leaf particules will come thru the 75 micron with a bit of work an leave you with a full melt hash. hope this helps somewhat mate all the best.

• Like 4

I would love to get a 4 screen set.  Have you used the trimbin @Gaijin? I love it as I get at least a gram of hash and some bakeable trim after that from 3 plants each harvest.  However, it always has a bit of vegetable matter in it and I feel certain with the right set I could be making awesome full-melt and some secondary quality instead.  It'd be worth me saving the trip to process every 2 or 3 crops and working over some of the actual buds if I was going to get top quality out of it :)

Edited by MidgeSmith
  • Like 2

With that much to run I'd get a pollen tumbler, theres one under a ton on the main search engine. Its essentially a carbon filter that spins..

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Banarchylamp said:

With that much to run I'd get a pollen tumbler, theres one under a ton on the main search engine. Its essentially a carbon filter that spins..

That's not a bad idea, I'll have a look :yep: thanks 

1 hour ago, MidgeSmith said:

I would love to get a 4 screen set.  Have you used the trimbin @Gaijin? I love it as I get at least a gram of hash and some bakeable trim after that from 3 plants each harvest.  However, it always has a bit of vegetable matter in it and I feel certain with the right set I could be making awesome full-melt and some secondary quality instead.  It'd be worth me saving the trip to process every 2 or 3 crops and working over some of the actual buds if I was going to get top quality out of it :)

Yeah quality is the aim, for sure. I guess the tumblers would only have the one screen, wouldn't they? 

• Like 2

Have a look at the ones on Skunk sifters ;)

That’ll give you an idea what you might need.

@Revive just got some recently iirc

Atb

:yinyang:

• Like 2

Just now, Shumroom said:

Have a look at the ones on Skunk sifters ;)

That’ll give you an idea what you might need.

@Revive just got some recently iirc

Atb

I did indeed Shumroom :yep:

There decent, and very well made..

Not cheap admittedly but as with some things you get what you pay for.. looked after they should last for many years I reckon :yep:

@Gaijin

Edited by Revive
  • Like 2

@Gaijin

They are pricey but as revive said they are very well made and will last for years if looked after.

I did a thread a while ago, here it is to give you an idea of what they can produce. 

• Like 5

They look like what you could make using what you had in mind originally dude. Save your pennies:thumbdown:

@Gaijin Aye dude, the tumbler comes with one or two I think. 

The tumbler is ease, you can make one better for personal than paying for an out of stock wooden frame. 

• Like 1

Printing screens, they come in all sizes and usually decently priced compared to canna aimed products. :yep:

• Like 4

I was lucky and bought medium 4 screen skunk sifter set for £160 last month as it had some minor damage on 2 frames so were heavily discounted. I have difficulty seeing the damage, these are so well made.

They have regular discounts. They are expensive but I'm really impressed with the quality and should last many many years.

One advantage of wood and nylon over the metal screen printing frames is, I understand, the ability to perform static tech to clean the sift to a higher quality. 

Ive not yet used mine (waiting for the cold months) so this is based on my research only, but it makes sense. 

I'm really looking forward to using them. I love bubble (esp live) but it is a lot of wet work. 

I have a small tumbler with only 150 screen. It's ok but the quality is lower.

These screens give you many options and using static tech seems you can pull some real quality out fairly simply.

• Like 2

@Shumroom @Revive @lildaveham @Banarchylamp @M Pamplemousse I see that I replied to Dave's original thread lol Unfortunately literally every single screen is out of stock on the skunk sifters site. It does look like a quality product, no doubt about that. 

I would have to get the small set in order to be able to hide it from the missus :D "Haven't you spent enough in that 'room' of yours?? Where's my new bathroom?" and so on ...... :rofl::rofl::rofl: 

@Military Grade Having a quick google at "stainless steel printing screens" - they don't seem to list the mesh sizes in microns, most inconsiderate lol How would you work out the mesh sizing? 

At a minimum, how many different size screens would a person like myself need? It's not like I'll be trying to produce something that impresses others (other than pics on here, I guess lol ) so I doubt I need every size imaginable. 

Thanks for all the replies :) 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Gaijin said:

Unfortunately literally every single screen is out of stock on the skunk sifters site. It does look like a quality product, no doubt about that. 

They always are mate but I think that just shows the demand for them.. if you sign up they will let you know as soon as there back in stock.. the small set is all you need mate, sometimes they have offers on but I think  I payed £180 for mine.. you can hide them behind your tent/tents :yep:

• Like 3