Circulating fans?

snotbottom

I've been (for a while now) looking at Westinghouse ceiling fans , I THINK they'd be great in a 1.2m² space.

:yinyang:

• Like 1

I was thinking this myself, a large fan running slow and pushing straight down, It would also push the heat down from the top of the tent. The only issue is it would be above the lights causing them to swing around. My LED lights are really easily moved.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, snotbottom said:

I was thinking this myself, a large fan running slow and pushing straight down, It would also push the heat down from the top of the tent. The only issue is it would be above the lights causing them to swing around. My LED lights are really easily moved.

:yep:

There is great picture on here somewhere I got trolled for ....for praising lol  

Im sure you can find something to secure the lights to the tent poles to stop them dangerously swinging about.

If you have a large area, the Tornado DC 18" is MEGA. very quiet, cheap to run and lots of settings but it is a big mofo

clip on fans are shite, last a grow thats it plus fire risk

tower fans are good for the space

box fans with spinning front grill are good too

ACI oscillating fans are good but I now have 1 that doesnt oscillate and 1 that the wire is frayed, I do run them 24/7/365

a decent 16" pedesatl fan is a good option, point at the side of the tent, not on the plants so they dont get wind burn

• Like 2

18 hours ago, BilgePump said:

Westinghouse ceiling fans , I THINK they'd be great in a 1.2m² space.

I did it

tl;dr it was loads of work & didn't work

mystic

• Like 2

On 25/07/2023 at 6:29 PM, BilgePump said:

I'm using a cloudray S6 but I'm not sold on it, yeah it seems the absolute bollocks but given they're getting a bit of a rep for being whimsical I'm not gonna give em a glowing review.... Mine works as expected though and I got it last year.

Previously I've hung ram Louvre action box fans with great success and been through more secret jardin monkey fans than I care to think about.

:yinyang:

I've had three of the S6s. I bought them mid-way through my first grow iirc. I didn't ever have them above 3 speed, although they were always on and oscillating. They do suggest not running these 24/7. Perhaps that's where I went wrong. 

One simply stopped working for no apparent reason. 

On the second, the power lead broke through right at the fan housing, possibly due to poor placement of the lead by myself, but I'm usually pretty careful with things like that. This one, I'm going to cut away the housing with a red hot scalpel blade and should be able to repair the cable. Thinking about it, I may as well cut into the second broken fan and see if the cable has broken inside. Might be able to salvage both

The list of requirements when I asked the seller about warranty was so ridiculous I didn't even bother attempting it. Certainly nothing like dealing with the very-sadly-closed-down Adam. They wanted video of the fan in use as installed ffs "to check my installation was not out of compliance" :rolleyes: 

These were close to £70 each.

I also bought 3 clip on oscillating fans about 6 months ago, Spider Farmer I think? Maybe Secret Jardin. One of those two. They were £30 each and one only lasted a week, one a month, and one is still running but the oscillation function failed weeks ago.

I've got three USB fans that've been running non-stop 24/7 for over a year now. £12 each. Probably a better investment than the AC Infinity fans and the SF fans 

• Like 5

What about PC fans guys, low voltage, should shift air, would be easy to make an enclosure/mount and should run silent?

13 minutes ago, snotbottom said:

What about PC fans guys, low voltage, should shift air, would be easy to make an enclosure/mount and should run silent?

Unless your trying to vent a PC case size grow-room I would imagine they are practically useless. Besides intake/outtake fans my circulating fan is a 16" pedestal fan run on its lowest setting pointing at the side of a 1.2mx1.2m tent (not directly at the plants). The base takes up a fair amount of floor space so I have to raise the trays in which the plants sit on wooden blocks to fit six flowering plants in. I would love a hung equivalent but so far I have drawn a blank.

With reference to sound, my bathroom extractor drowns out the entire noise of my grow-room which is only 10ft away.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, snotbottom said:

Not ideal for all grows, and sound like an over heating gaming PC when run at high speeds lol, PC fans are designed to work in a confined space with side walls to create a kinda Vacuum/Tunnel effect ( Negative pressure).

11 hours ago, Gaijin said:

I've got three USB fans that've been running non-stop 24/7 for over a year now. £12 each

I love finding decent USB Oscillating fans tho it is a complete minefield out there, the two I have at the bottom of my tents run 24/7 for the whole grow while Oscillating and they both still work and quietly. Bit pricey but bought both when a sale was on.

I also got USB fans above my lights blowing down into the driver.

This one I got the other day for my little tent

large.20230725_195459.jpglarge.20230725_200300.jpg

Shame we can't make all the hardware less of a fire risk without compromising performance like lights and extraction.

That reminds me I need to buy a second Fire Ball Extinguisher.

Edited by Military Grade
  • Like 3

Sorry, off topic but thanks @Military Gradefor mentioning fire ball extinguisher, never heard of it before, gonna get one, looks like a great idea (I'm ashamed to say I've not got any fire safety stuff for my tent, just a fire blanket, not much use if there's an electrical fire while I'm out :doh: just one of those things I've overlooked :rolleyes: stupid of me).

Cheers.

• Like 1

I use floor fans mounted above the lighting on setting 1 for vertical air flow rather than horizontal - as for brand I've been using RAM ones, which are notorious for breaking in under a year however I've had these on 24/7 since I put them up - so about 3 years ish. I can't say for sure but I suspect the orientation of the blades being different to standard use might have something to do with their longevity.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, GSZZ said:

I use floor fans mounted above the lighting on setting 1 for vertical air flow rather than horizontal - as for brand I've been using RAM ones, which are notorious for breaking in under a year however I've had these on 24/7 since I put them up - so about 3 years ish. I can't say for sure but I suspect the orientation of the blades being different to standard use might have something to do with their longevity.

Funny you saying that, the one Cloudray of mine that's still running, is clamped onto one of the bars and pointing straight down through the light, oscillating away merrily lol Maybe just a coincidence, but ......  

• Like 2

We may laugh at this but the closest I have come to grow-room fires were both due to oscillating fans. The first a cheap 10" fan that smelt like a melting scalextric track when I turned it off and a clip on RAM (sorry named and shamed but it did happen) fan that  I found jammed and humming.

I love weed. I also love my neighbors.

• Like 3