Does anyone here put all their amendments in at the start of the grow?

childofmelee

30 minutes ago, Revive said:

Less is more sometimes and tbh you don't need half the shit that folk tend to use and I proved that to myself last season by growing beautiful plants using just comfrey and a few odd soil drenches of seaweed.

Yeah I wasn't going to get too fancy, just blood & bone + potash, bit of kelp liquid at transplanting.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, childofmelee said:

Does anyone here put all their amendments in at the start of the grow?

Osmocote. 

• Like 1

Just now, Amarillo slim said:

Osmocote. 

We got that over here, slow release fertilizer.  Just reading up on it now.

42 minutes ago, childofmelee said:

Yeah I wasn't going to get too fancy, just blood & bone + potash, bit of kelp liquid at transplanting.

Just my opinion bro and backed up by last seasons results.. also be aware fish blood and bone will attract the local wildlife, I cut it out as plants were getting dug up by animals..many ways to skin a cat dude just take the less is more approach would be my advice :yep:

• Like 3

I’ll second what Revive says, it’s a no go for me as well, the animals go mad for it and can cause some serious damage to young plants. I like a couple handfuls of worm castings and a sprinkle of Charge forked into nice fluffy soil, then a small handful of chicken pellets on top after plant out. Cage up. Simples :yep:

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, Revive said:

Just my opinion bro and backed up by last seasons results.. also be aware fish blood and bone will attract the local wildlife, I cut it out as plants were getting dug up by animals..many ways to skin a cat dude just take the less is more approach would be my advice :yep:

Yeah I had some visitors to my plots on my last grow that were attracted to the blood & bone - rats and a local dog.  The rats didn't do any direct damage but they kept eating the slug/snail bait (which eventually killed them) and that allowed slugs/snails to get past the defenses and  cause a bit of damage although luckily nothing to bad. And the dog left me a little present beside one of my plants.

Edited by childofmelee

15 minutes ago, Aphatspliff said:

I’ll second what Revive says, it’s a no go for me as well, the animals go mad for it and can cause some serious damage to young plants. I like a couple handfuls of worm castings and a sprinkle of Charge forked into nice fluffy soil, then a small handful of chicken pellets on top after plant out. Cage up. Simples :yep:

What kind of animals are causing you problems with your plants?, where I'm from it's only rats out in the bush that like the blood & bone, everything else eats vegetation.

• Like 1

Without setting up a cam I couldn’t tell for 100% but would imagine foxes and badgers being the main culprits 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, childofmelee said:

rats didn't do any direct damage but they kept eating the slug/snail bait

Having the same issue with this myself.. some kind of rodents are eating them but are also digging small holes looking for more I expect.. im lucky the slug and snail population seem to be much less this year but its a toss up between the 2 dude.. whsts worse something digging holes in your plants pots/holes or a few damaged lowers. Dealing with 1 problem and creating another isnt ideal :yep:

Edited by Revive
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, childofmelee said:

What kind of animals are causing you problems with your plants?, where I'm from it's only rats out in the bush that like the blood & bone, everything else eats vegetation.

Don't you get foxes over there buddy?

Lucky because I'm at war with them on my main plot..been having a stand off with those fury fukers for a while now..they really dont want me around lol

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, childofmelee said:

We have to deal with rodents , rabbits, foxes, deer , badgers mainly

On 23-7-2023 at 4:31 AM, childofmelee said:

I'm trying to minimize the amount of visits to my plots and was thinking of adding all my amendments at transplanting, that way I don't need a couple more trips into the bush to add more fertilizer. 

I was planning on using blood & bone and potash but I'm not sure if Potash will leach out of the soil before bloom if I add it at transplanting.   Maybe there is slower release fertilizers?

organic vertiliser needs time to convert to plant feed by bacteria and groundlife....take at least 4 weeks before needed

yes there are slow release chemical vertilisers... google ""osmocote""

Edited by DutchFox
  • Like 1

Hoof and horn is good organic slow realise N.  If you apply quicker release forms (like blood meal / chicken pellets) too early in season then most N gets washed away by time plants need it.   

I used to be an organic fanatic, but reality is its heavy / bulky / smelly , needs re-applying more and ultimately doesn’t lead to necessarily better weed.  

Not like commercial chicken manure is gonna be free of nasties anyway, wouldn’t be surprised if weed grown using it has similar detectable levels of ivermectin as your average street deal.   

For me it boils down to minimising risk and labour.  If I can take one back-pack into a place to provide complete nutrition for multiple seasons (with a single application at planting) then I’ll take a hit on the ‘organic’ label, same as nearly every indoor grower does.  Freedom / convenience overrule idealism.   If I’m growing for medicinal, then that’s the time to go Nth degree organic, and even question the quality of native soil (potential contamination?).  

Edited by Amarillo slim
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Aphatspliff said:

Without setting up a cam I couldn’t tell for 100% but would imagine foxes and badgers being the main culprits 

I’d place money on it being rabbits 9 times out of 10.  They see nice fresh dug ground and can’t help themselves.  If FBB is added people assume fox etc, because it makes more sense rationally - but it’s not like rabbits are the Aristotles of the animal world.. They see earth, they gonna dig it, just ‘coz’.  

5 hours ago, Revive said:

Don't you get foxes over there buddy?

Lucky because I'm at war with them on my main plot..been having a stand off with those fury fukers for a while now..they really dont want me around lol

Nay we don't got any foxes here, out in the bush the only meat eating animals are rats.  They will scratch around in the dirt looking for the source of the smell if I'm using blood & bone but other than that some of them will eat the slug/snail bait. 

• Like 1