Does anyone here put all their amendments in at the start of the grow?

childofmelee

I'm trying to minimize the amount of visits to my plots and was thinking of adding all my amendments at transplanting, that way I don't need a couple more trips into the bush to add more fertilizer. 

I was planning on using blood & bone and potash but I'm not sure if Potash will leach out of the soil before bloom if I add it at transplanting.   Maybe there is slower release fertilizers?

• Like 1

You can but for me its better to use established plants as should tolerate this better.       New younger plants can get battered by the hot soils. 

Depending on weather and  the soil    it can be slow on taking the goodness up ,  it can also be rapid and punish the plant.   

more a fan of establishing the plant and then add more goodness as desired  .... you can add it  but not really take it back out in a hurry :yep:

Soil type  /  soil condition /   local weather  /  genetics   /  location  ... all major factors that only you know mate ,   read the situation and go forth accordingly :yep:        Good luck with it. 

Edited by OldFord
  • Like 2

You'll kill or stunt the growth of most young plants if the growing medium has a toxic level of nutrients in it. On a gardening forum I'm a member of, chicken manure pellets seem to be the weapon of choice for new gardeners that destroy their fledgling plants with nutrient overload. Potash for example will increase the pH of the soil and too much will definitely have a damaging effect on your young plants. 

The best slow release fertiliser products in my opinion are fertiliser spikes. You can get them for different plant types. Japanese Hops is one of the closest mainstream plants to Cannabis regarding nutrient requirements but if you can't get spikes for those, Tomatoes are not far behind. You won't go far wrong with Tomato fertiliser spikes and follow the directions. Even with slow release fertiliser, you can overload the growing medium and should follow the manufacturers guidance. 

Using straw around the base of the plant is a superb way of keeping weeds down, moderating the temp of the soil, retaining moisture and over time, the straw breaks down, releasing nutrients into the growing medium. 

Edited by disco survivor
  • Like 2

Never had a problem using chicken pellets at plant out,plants are usually 3-4 weeks old also use them when planting out autos also when putting them into final pots at 10-12 days old no problemos .. i  use potash when plants are in flower not at plant out?

Works for me personally.:yep:

Edited by stayup4ever
  • Like 2

I like to scatter chiken shit before clearing the spot then just a small bit of charge in the hole when planting. 1 more scatter of chicken shit at flower.

• Like 3

I dig up my holes and re amend 4 weeks before plant out.

Then just top dress with sop at onset of flowering.

If you do it on transplant you could easily burn your plants 

• Like 2

Nimi need for sop until flowering has started, small top dress once they start and another small top up mid flower works for me..with dry ferts being slow release to much at the start isnt a good thing, there fine at first till it starts breaking down and becoming more concentrated and that can lead to issues..amend early spring before planting out some weeks later and top up once the plant becomes fully established... sometimes less is more as some require less feets than others..you can always add but you generally will already have issues before you realise you cant now take it away..slow and steady saves the plant having to recover should things go a little belly up :yep:

• Like 1

21 hours ago, OldFord said:

You can but for me its better to use established plants as should tolerate this better.       New younger plants can get battered by the hot soils. 

Depending on weather and  the soil    it can be slow on taking the goodness up ,  it can also be rapid and punish the plant.   

more a fan of establishing the plant and then add more goodness as desired  .... you can add it  but not really take it back out in a hurry :yep:

Soil type  /  soil condition /   local weather  /  genetics   /  location  ... all major factors that only you know mate ,   read the situation and go forth accordingly :yep:        Good luck with it. 

I thought with organic amendments the plants only take what NPK they need?, and it was only synthetic fertilizers that can cause over feeding issues?

Edited by childofmelee
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, Skit Rat said:

U planting out this year still?

Me? If so yep in 12 weeks time.

EDIT: I think I know why you asked that question, I'm not UK based, I'm south of the equator.

Edited by childofmelee

1 hour ago, childofmelee said:

I thought with organic amendments the plants only take what NPK they need?, and it was only synthetic fertilizers that can cause over feeding issues?

Hot is still hot sadly ,  the very reason why we have to dilute mixes be it organic or not.

Just for instance look at @Revive for instance ,  making his wonderful & potent Comfrey tea ,  its diluted   ,  dont dilute it and yes you may get away with minor burning but my moneys on stunting   /  messing up the plant :yep:     Same with my Nettle Tea & Co  i need to get the ratios correct,  ,   you  Add what you want and take the gamble.     Hot is hot in my book

Edited by OldFord
  • Like 3

I've had great results using BioTabs Guerrilla Tabs which are slow release, they'd be fine for an auto but you'd need to feed in bloom if you are doing photos.

• Like 1

I did it with one plant this year out of necessity as all I had on the plot was a bag of ‘hot’ premixed super soil but it was a potted up young plant that was 4-5 weeks old. It went very dark green and tips burnt slightly was stunted for a little bit before finally taking off. 

• Like 2

Less is more sometimes and tbh you don't need half the shit that folk tend to use and I proved that to myself last season by growing beautiful plants using just comfrey and a few odd soil drenches of seaweed.

of course you can over do it with organic ferts as @OldFord says hot is hot and your plants will be effected by it no doubt about it..:yinyang:

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Hole in the clouds said:

I did it with one plant this year out of necessity as all I had on the plot was a bag of ‘hot’ premixed super soil but it was a potted up young plant that was 4-5 weeks old. It went very dark green and tips burnt slightly was stunted for a little bit before finally taking off. 

I'm glad to hear your plant recovered from the nute burn.

Edited by childofmelee