Hashslag's Indoor Escapade part 2 - Sensi Auto Hindu Kush

Hashslag

There's not an active intake, but there is an air path in from the bottom and an extractor fan in the top with CF. Also a circulation fan. I don't know what the ppfd reading is, I've not taken a reading and don't know how to - is there a phone app or anything? I'd be surprised if it was over-feeding, but I can't rule it out I guess. I'm using some Westland Boost I have here, diluted pretty much to the instructions give or take. She's pretty thirsty and I water/feed each time the soil seems like it needs some. Once a day usually.

I guess it could be caused by any number of things - I'm sure the environment isn't absolutely perfect, although I didn't have this trouble with my last grow (different strain), I sometimes wonder if the damage she went through back in august could've thrown a spanner in the works. It might be a little cool in there of late so I'll have to dig out the radiator before long.

@Killuminati7 lol why would you chuck it? Still plenty of nice flowers on there!

• Like 2

I've got an app to measure the ppfd. It's all greek to me. 25% seems way too low, but the light is probably only about 7-9 inches away from the flowers.

• Like 2

It isn't your lights fella, too much light results in bleaching and too little results in stretching. Not problems you have. I use a 30% more powerful light in a much smaller space with no ill effects.
Not food either. Too much makes the leaves a very dark green and too little makes them yellow from the bottom up.

The air path from the bottom is what I would call a light leak rather than an intake. Not sure that is doing what you and the plant need at all. 

• Like 2

Just throwing this out there and seeing if it sticks...

What are your lights off temps? Could you be suffering from cold roots?

Also how does the metal cabinet heat up during lights on? Have you taken readings from the walls?

:yinyang:

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Hashslag said:

I've got an app to measure the ppfd. It's all greek to me. 25% seems way too low, but the light is probably only about 7-9 inches away from the flowers.

Sounds about right in a tiny space, in my cupboard last time my vipar 600 never went above 50%, my cupboard is the same width as yours, just higher.

:yinyang:

• Like 1

I bet it’s beaming with those nice white walls in the little space, but yeah gotta be environment off,not the light on 50% . I do use an app on phone tho gotta be a good new phone tho , it’s called Photone something like that, hope u figure it out bud 

• Like 2
On 19/07/2023 at 4:07 PM, Hashslag said:

Thanks guys. I think the soil might be the culprit tbh. I'll send it anyway. 'tis the way!

I ran sweet cheese auto at the start of the year. Looked exactly the same. She powered through. Stick with it man. 

• Like 2

Thanks chaps, appreciate the info and encouragement! I took a reading on an app called 'PPFD meter', at 50% it stated that it was HIGH, and at 25% it stated GOOD. (There was other info provided but it was just a lot of numbers and shit and I had no idea what they meant) I think it must be the short distance from the light to the flowers, it is a very small cab tbf. Anyway, I've opted to keep it at 25% for now, and I've just started to water with plain, warm water and forgo the feed. Call it the flush, if you will. The main cola is lovely and chunky, very firm too - as are the other buds. Hopefully whatever happens I'll end up with something good enough to see me through until the next harvest :)

• Like 2
23 hours ago, v12xjs said:

It isn't your lights fella, too much light results in bleaching and too little results in stretching. Not problems you have. I use a 30% more powerful light in a much smaller space with no ill effects.
Not food either. Too much makes the leaves a very dark green and too little makes them yellow from the bottom up.

The air path from the bottom is what I would call a light leak rather than an intake. Not sure that is doing what you and the plant need at all. 

I hadn't seen this reply, sorry man. Interesting. I thought lights being too strong would cause burning to some degree? Same story with overfeeding - nutrient burn being a thing?

Regarding the air inlet - it is a long way from ideal - really I need either some drill holes with a carbon filter type sponge over them or something like that. I guess I could add a fan to suck the air in, but I had hoped the exhaust would draw air in sufficiently without the need for another fan. And you're right - it probably is a light leak tbh. All I've done is crack the bottom drawer by 2-3mm, just to allow some air to be drawn in.

@BilgePump - lights are on 24, but I would hazard an educated guess at lights off temp being low to mid 20s. Lights on, around mid 20's plus. It is a tad too cool and I need to order myself a little heater to go in there really. I've got a radiator up against the outside wall at the moment just to keep the temps up a bit. still only mid-high 20s though.

• Like 1

Those are just guidelines for triage but they are solid enough.
Nuteburn is what happens beyond deep green leaves but the damaged leaves on your plant are lighter than the healthy leaves below the canopy, so it can't be nuteburn.

The rules around intakes are governed by laws of physics and I'm just trying to help since I can see you aren't all that familiar with them.
For an active intake to match a 4 inch exhaust fan, you need a vent that is 12.5 x 1 inches. That's the area of a 4 inch circle.
For a passive vent to allow the same volume of air in, you need 3 - 4 of those at least.
You can see why I prefer an active intake and perhaps also why I think your plant is breathing through a straw.

The lower parts of the plant look really happy so it's the only explanation I can come up with for the weird leaf formations and bud development up top.
And it might be a bit off radar, but those conditions might actually be really good for a CO2 setup :)
Might be time to get a home brew on ;)

Hope she pulls through for you.

• Like 2

Cheers for your input mate, I do appreciate it. I'm just feeling my way here really. I didn't have any of these issues with my last plant mind you, more or less plain sailing, but this one has been a right ball-ache! I will look into the possibility of installing an inlet fan though.

I've just checked the trichs and nearly all are cloudy with some amber ones thrown in there too. I might just give it til the end of the week and chop it regardless.

• Like 1