Avocet

Just now, Avocet said:

@OldFord

How are you this weekend fella? Hope everyday you’re feeling a bit betterer buddy!!

Thanks for the advice, I’ll leave them for a day or , observe and perhaps take the ends first! :yep:

Thanks once again!  A

No worries mate,   yeah im not bad at all sir thanks  ,  usual aches & pains but you try just ignore & carry on :yep:

As for fans  & drying -  i just leave mine on for the duration as im not exactly known to be lucky lollol      Not risking it ,  risked enough pushing them on in the recent wet weather lol  

• Like 2

Totally with u…risk is baaaaaad at this stage! 
Is it me or is this completely nerve racking!? :wacko: 

Boxes arriving soon so can get the fan set up…keeping an eye on the hygrometer and it’s 75% humidity in the dark chamber at the moment!!! :mellow:

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Avocet said:

I’m conscious that if it’s too slow I’ll run out of time before I have to go away. Plus I’ll need to trim and jar up…

Hey buddy..not sure how long you have before you go away but really you need a minimum of 10 days but if you can..this time of year it can be tricky hence leaving most of the leaves on and only removing the big fan leaves.. 

Also once dry trimmed and jarred you will need to be burping those jars for another couple weeks so its gonna eat up some time buddy.. to save the faff of having to do that and save time you could get some grove bags to store and cure your buds in..no need to burp these and there pretty cheap compared to glass.. I highly recommend them dude..

2 hours ago, Avocet said:

I’ve actually left 3 lower branches on the plant. Do u think this is a good idea? The ends look ok (could do with a couple more days maybe??) but lower down pistils are white…

Thats fine mate, its quite a common practice removing the tops first to let the lowers mature a bit more, something that most of us do but id prob leave them another week rather than just a few days..

Just try not to rush this drying and curing part as it will be the make or break of those buds no matter how well they have been grown..nothing worse than having to smoke something that resembles the smell of dried hay and doesn't taste much better either.. the drying and curing is as important as the growing if you want a decent product..hope this helps.

I presume you have a hygrometer to monitor temps and RH? something you really need when drying :yep:

Wish you the best of luck bro and congrats on your first harvest :thumsup:

• Like 2

@Revive

Thanks man. I’m kinda stoked the first one has come down! Lots more learning for the next stages which tbh, I love!! 

I’m away end of the month but only for 10 days. Given myself a couple of weeks for the drying and trimming. A mate is coming to water the other girls and the veg patch, so he will be able to burp the jars every couple of days when he comes! 

If the plan all goes a bit Pete Tong, I’ll grab some of those grove bags. Cheers…not heard of them before! More research needed, again! lol
Have a half-decent hygrometer and buying a few of the smaller ones today. 

Hope alls ticketyboo with you! A

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Avocet said:

I’ll grab some of those grove bags. Cheers…not heard of them before!

They was new to me too and last season I used them for the first time.. 8/9 months later the buds in those bags are as fresh as the day they went in them, very impressed.

I did a side by side as I had some in glassware too and I can honestly say there's no difference to the end product.

I won't be buying jars again that's how impressed I've been with them.. check them out brother it will certainly save you time and as your away at the end of the month it could be a perfect solution for you..

Yes mate the season is going well so far for me :)

Just a bit of hacking for me this year, im  not really focused on producing smokeable buds as ive a shit load in storage so having some fun with a few crosses to see where that takes me, something to look through next season if it all works out.. you will find my diary in the outdoor growing section if you want to take a look at what im up to, as I say having a bit of fun and thats the most important thing with this hobby..shit can get stressful and spoil that at times..learning and enjoying it is the main thing imo what ever comes out the other end of that is a bonus :)

Have a great day buddy :yep:

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Avocet said:

@CustardVape

Thanks mate!
The deed is done, well almost.

Boxes on their way and mid/top parts in the LD room for now! See above!

Fan and filter ready to be attached…does everyone in tents and drying etc just leave the fan on 24/7!? Even when out? I was thinking to get a thermostat switch that turns it on at a certain temp, say 20deg? 

Yet more research required!! 

Hows u? How’s your girls? Cheers A! 

All good thanks mate. My harvest this year will be staggered because they're all at different stages of growth. Which actually suits me because my drying area is quite space limited.

I'll update my thread again soon.

Best of luck with your drying mate!!

• Like 1

@CustardVape 

Trying to do the same re staggering harvest. Or at least that was the plan. No idea when or which or what anymore…:wacko: But at least I’ll be around once this next trip is done and dusted! I’m lucky to have (half) a garage to play with, if I shove everything against walls!! 
:yep:

Glad all’s ticketyboo with u mate! 

• Like 1

…wait.

If I seal the drying boxes to ward off the smell and have a passive intake hole, how do I check the hygrometer which is inside being busy!!!? :g:

Is the answer once/twice a day and just reseal or am I missing something! lol

@Revive 

You’re definitely busy with your GG! Just having a coffee and a catch up on your adventures now. I’m lucky to have a reasonably private garden out the back!
You GG guys are legends…Hats off to urban ninjas Sir! lol

Had a look at the grove bags and they could indeed be the perfect solution! Could I ask which sizes you use? I have absolutely not an scooby what sort of weight I’ll be looking at from the Neville H? 

I have a fair few mason jars 1, 1.5 and 2 litre. But need to talk to my mate if he’s happy to burp them…

@OldFord
AND the dry chamber is set up!! So again thanks for all the help. Took a fair bit longer than expected to make but fans on, air is flowing and no smell whatsoever!! :yep:

large.IMG_2215.jpeg

large.IMG_2214.jpeg

Only issue now really is the bloody autumnal weather. Ridiculous…this summer has been weird. Temps are ok to be fair, 19 just now but the humidity is way up there. Ambient outside is around 80%. Just checked the box and it’s been a low of 72% but on 77% atm. Can just feel air moving through the intakes, so fingers crossed. 

Have a great day all. A 

Edited by Avocet
  • Like 5

@Avocet    Nice one mate ,  glad its all smell free :thumsup:     cheap and effective !     

Just try vas ceal or wrap the shit otta the filter when your done ,  airtight as poss and be fine for next year ,  my own is 3 seasons old this year

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Avocet said:

Could I ask which sizes you use? I have absolutely not an scooby what sort of weight I’ll be looking at from the Neville H? 

Hey bud..I had a lot of product so I just ordered a load of half pound bags (8oz) 

You could just grab the 4 oz ones and just fill how many you need too..there cheap and always handy to have in stock if you dont need to use them all at once..

Never looked at the other sizes tbf but size won't matter if you have enough bags :)

Hope this helps.. 

Tidy job on the boxes, very neat and tidy :yep:

• Like 2

Your very welcome buddy :)

Weather isn't too bad in the smoke but a bit more sunshine wouldn't go a miss.. very cloudy and gloomy but the plants are healthy and growing :yep:

• Like 1

Well, absolutely gutted. 

Just been to check on the drying and lost the top half of Neville’s main cola. Couldn’t check yesterday. The humidity isn’t dropping below a low of 73%. It’s 80-something outside. 

large.IMG_2248.jpeglarge.IMG_2247.jpeglarge.IMG_2250.jpeg

Air flow is good. The rest seems ok. Had a good check through…
Timing of this shitty weather has fucked me good and proper. :furious:

• Like 2

That's a real bummer. 

If you've any still to dry, either try paper bags or you could put cheap damp traps in your drying boxes to lower the humidity. You can get them in pound shops.

• Like 2