Avocet

Hola all,

Hope everyone is good, their grows are blooming and all are enjoying the summer! 

Not had a chance to update diary this week. 
My Critical Neville Haze auto has started getting yellow tan leaves this week. She’s 92 days in…

She smells lovely, the pistils are brown and as much as I can see the trichomes are milky.

I’m thinking she must be getting about ready to chop? Perhaps another week or two when I see some amber? Is the amber very pronounced or easy to miss with a loupe?

I have to go away at the end of July for 10 days unexpectedly, so earlier would be better or much later around the middle of August. Either/or situation. :wallbash:

Could I ask for a second or third opinion - should I give her another feed now or just start flushing for next couple of waters?

I’ve cut a bud and drying to sample…

large.IMG_2117.jpeg

large.IMG_2111.jpeg

large.IMG_2112.jpeg

large.IMG_2119.jpeg

First proper grow, so obviously a bit nervous…

Many thanks, A.

• Like 6

Keep her cooking mate ,  shes not far off  , give her a week and review her :yep:     

Always a good excuse to handle & check them  ,  and you will most likely do a staggered harvest as in taking the mains first and leave the lowers to carry on maturing :yep:

I know shes an auto but just be mindful that indica biased sometimes wont show amber trichs , they will go milky.     

Keep the faith mate and you will get rewarded :yep:

• Like 8

I agree with the above ^^^^ shes got a bit more time in her yet, another week 10 days would be my guess.. ambers are clear to see in the head of the trichs but make sure your checking the ones on the buds not the leaves, these will often show some ambers before the bud is ready..

Good luck :yinyang:

• Like 7

@OldFord @Revive

Much appreciated, thank u!

Will give her another feed this evening and keep an eye on her!

Now to peruse the harvest/drying/curing threads! 

I’m definitely over-excited. :yep:

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, Avocet said:

@OldFord @Revive

Much appreciated, thank u!

Will give her another feed this evening and keep an eye on her!

Now to peruse the harvest/drying/curing threads! 

I’m definitely over-excited. :yep:

Sit on your hands buddy, think of how long its taken to get to where u are its just a fraction of that to get the best from her..same with the drying and curing don't rush it and undo all the great work you have done so far :yep:

Edited by Revive
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, OldFord said:

I know shes an auto but just be mindful that indica biased sometimes wont show amber trichs , they will go milky.     

Chopped two plants, still have two  ready to be chopped in a few days, none has showed even one amber trich.

Edited by purepotstill
  • Like 3

12 hours ago, OldFord said:

I got 2 photoperiods and sativa leaning, looking well done now at over 10 weeks 12/12 but you can count the amount of amber trichs on one hand.

orange juice by dinafem, day 71 flower.pic8

@Avocet I agree with all of the above, maybe another week or so for the fine looking lady. Good work :yep:

• Like 6

Morning all,

@Revive Sage advice…Sitting on hands commencing!! lol

@Amnesia @purepotstill

That’s an absolute beauty! What do you guys look for if it’s not amber trichomes. Anything specific or is it more an experienced eye type thing? I thought I spied a few redder ones on leaves rather than buds…

@OldFord Hope your feeling ok this fine morning chap!  

Thanks again everyone for all the input…much appreciated. Gives me a chance to sort out a fan and filter for the drying. (Any cheap/budget 4” or 5” suggestions…the smell to my nose is lush. To the neighbours perhaps not so much)!!? 

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Amnesia said:

I got 2 photoperiods and sativa leaning, looking well done now at over 10 weeks 12/12 but you can count the amount of amber trichs on one hand.

orange juice by dinafem, day 71 flower.pic8

@Avocet I agree with all of the above, maybe another week or so for the fine looking lady. Good work :yep:

Beautiful looking plant  :yep:   Yeah its strange ,  outdoors anyway , i find some autos  & indica biased plants just dont like to show amber ,  prob need someone like Brock to explain why ,  i have seen it every year ,  and more so on autos.      All about sharing findings as suppose you dont want milky trichs to go past their best especially when waiting patiently and it wont happen lol        Can we get a nice pic of that full main ???    Hows she smelling ?   :wub:

34 minutes ago, Avocet said:

@OldFord Hope your feeling ok this fine morning chap!  

Thanks again everyone for all the input…much appreciated. Gives me a chance to sort out a fan and filter for the drying. (Any cheap/budget 4” or 5” suggestions…the smell to my nose is lush. To the neighbours perhaps not so much)!!? 

Morning mate ,  all good thanks :yep:      Just takes a bit to get the old arse into gear in the morning lol     

Fan & filters is a whole diff chapter lol    Branded like RVK is always mentioned for reliability  ,  i get the buy cheap buy twice motto ,  i bought a cheap ass chinese 5" fan & filter kit from Fleabay ,  think it was £55 all in ,  that was 3 years ago and both still going strong although i vac pack / seal my filter every year when done ,  i only use it for drying as strictly grow outdoors.

I use a 4  layer drying net and the pegged style hanging airer dryers  inside the boxes.       I use 4 boxes on the fan / filter with breather holes lower in the boxes and extract from the top , my drying seems to be slow & controlled and end product come up very well.     I use frozen 2 ltr bottles of water if the ambient temps are high ... like last year !! 

Slowed my dry as flash dried herb is nasty  :yep:

• Like 4

Hi everyone,hope you are all doing well ?

Regarding amber trics, at what point do you think this girls not going do amber and is going to stay at milky and if so what other indicators do you use for a well cooked girl instead of the amber trics.

Cheers

Zeb

• Like 2

hi mate,   the majority will show amber.    The ones that dont just use the usual tells like pistils browning and receding towards the calyx.   No new growth.

Best advice i can give is upload pics on here mate , many eyes are better than 2 especially my old ones  :yep:      

Dont worry too much about ambers ,  although you should see them on the sugar leaves first before the buds.     It should show ambers as the majority do.    

All the best mate , hope your good.  

• Like 3

Hi OldFord, glad to see you are getting back on your feet and hoping you have a good growing season.

Although i have no girls at this point at the moment, i definitely experienced it last season where i had plants that wouldn’t show any or very few amber but looked very well cooked or on the edge of being well fucked.Like you have already said most were autos and leaning towards the more indica side,really had me scratching me head.Well you live and learn.

Take care 

Zeb

• Like 3

Thanks to all,

Giving me a much better idea of what to look for…and to harness some zen-patience! lol

Another quick one, do you defoliate the larger fans on the main cola and some of the bigger upper branches at this stage? In many pics I’ve been looking at they seem far less ‘leafy’ than mine. Or is that a strain thing?

@OldFord, been looking at kits - seems reasonable around the £60-70 mark for 2 speed fan, filter and ducting etc. I’m the same, only growing outside, so it’s strictly for drying, and don’t want to spend the earth. :yep:

On yet another note, how many jars should I look to get. Bit of a how long is a piece of string question, I know. But I literally have no idea in terms of weight/size to expect!

Just to let anyone know, Home-base have a clearance of Kilner jars going on up to 3l. Was thinking 6x 2l size or 1.5l… They’re only £3 a pop at the moment.

Sun has finally returned, so time to have a coffee and enjoy the garden…have a great day y’all! A

• Like 2

I normally dont remove fans or lrger stuff unless its light blocking or spent ,  if you do remove try nip it as close to the leaf as poss leaving the stem in place ... keeps any chances or risk of disease further from the buds.     Leaf structure / ratio vary from cultivar to cultivar and pheno variation will play out too  ,  you can strip ,  not a major no no but any removal will increase stress in flower.     

Jars & jarring up ..... some like Grove bags , some like jars , some use tubs ,    i use kilners and replace the seal annually with rubber / silicon sheet cut into seals.   

Ideally you want the jar 2/3 full .... never ever cram it in !!   You can top up when its dry dry but during the curing process i say 2/3 full max to let it breathe.    

Ideally get a mix of various sizes , mainly as a little auto in a 2ltr is a waste of space , so a mix of sizes helps.   

Fan & filter kits vary in price / quality ,  im not fussed on noise as i dry in a spare room so noise is no  worries for me.

When you chop make sure you do it straight after a dark period as daylight will degrade thc levels ,  so its an early morning chop :yep:

• Like 2