First Proper Poly tunnel grow

Scrape_the_resin

So excited to have got my seeds out.  I'm just playing the ever so patient waiting game now.  

I've decided to go old school and stick the seeds straight in the final pot to germinate.  Sat in 5 gallon fabric pots, with a mix of Coco, perlite and MP compost, we have one Green Crack and one Northern Lights, both autos, both from fastbuds. Plastic tub sat over the top for humidity.  Polytunnel has been staying nice and warm, but last night I put a fleece over the top to make sure they didn't get too cold in the 11 degree temps.  

Now I wait.  I've worked out a good system for the pots during the day to maximise sunlight, I should be able to achieve a solid 8 hours of sunlight each day with a little movement at certain times.  

Stealth is big for me, my wife doesn't love the idea and currently doesn't know... She will be fine when I explain the money saving aspect! She doesn't really touch the polytunnel however, as the gardening is my thing.  Luckily I have a 200ft garden, with the polytunnel about 20ft at the rear, farmers fields at the back, and one neighbour is a toker, and the other barely uses his garden.  The strains were chosen for their apparent low odour when growing (I'm aware it will still smell, but hopefully not as potent as some)

Prior to this I've done 2 gorilla grows, about 12 years ago.  They were quite unsuccessful for various reasons.  

This forum has been invaluable recently, so thank you, and I look forward to sharing my experience!

• Like 8

Even "low odour" strains will stink. The smell carries on the breeze too. One thing you may want to consider is companion planting to help mask the odour. I planted oriental lilies, lavender, mint and thyme to combine their perfumes with the weed smell.

• Like 5

Welcome to the poly tunnel club.

@Crow River is right, they all smell. In my opinion, the poly tunnel makes the smell more intense as the aroma gets kinda trapped and can only escape one way. 

Out of interest, what kind of dimensions is your poly tunnel? I only ask as I'm trying to work out if you've got a really big fleece or a really small PT. lol If it's the latter, you'll be surprised just how big the plants will get! Even auto's can (and will) grow to 5ft tall.  

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, latitude54 said:

Welcome to the poly tunnel club.

@Crow River is right, they all smell. In my opinion, the poly tunnel makes the smell more intense as the aroma gets kinda trapped and can only escape one way. 

Out of interest, what kind of dimensions is your poly tunnel? I only ask as I'm trying to work out if you've got a really big fleece or a really small PT. lol If it's the latter, you'll be surprised just how big the plants will get! Even auto's can (and will) grow to 5ft tall.  

Haha, the greenhouse bit is quite large, then the main section is all under netting.  So I have the option to move outdoors on good days, and still protected to an extent.  The fleece was gently rested over the pots only. 

Yeah I figured it will still smell, it shouldn't be too much of an issue as I'm constantly smoking the stuff in the garden and never heard a peep about it.  

@Crow River yes, I have a large amount of basil being grown near it, and we have a lot of lavender in the garden.  Tbf the tomatoes inside the polytunnel put out a fair stink.  Not sure if it's too late to plant anything else?

When the farmer spreads his fields the whole village stinks like shit so that may help as well 

• Like 5

37 minutes ago, Scrape_the_resin said:

Yeah I figured it will still smell, it shouldn't be too much of an issue as I'm constantly smoking the stuff in the garden and never heard a peep about it.  

@Crow River yes, I have a large amount of basil being grown near it, and we have a lot of lavender in the garden.  Tbf the tomatoes inside the polytunnel put out a fair stink.  Not sure if it's too late to plant anything else?

When the farmer spreads his fields the whole village stinks like shit so that may help as well 

It's true tomatoes have a strong musk, but once your autos are flowering, then you'll know what stink is! :D

I have a couple of lavender plants in pots inside my polytunnel. Grew one big lavender just outside it last year (killed by extreme cold in November) but it didn't make ant difference.....hence trying the inside track. You can pick live plants up from garden centres for not a lot.

My lilies are near some outside weed to try and mask the smell...

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Crow River said:

It's true tomatoes have a strong musk, but once your autos are flowering, then you'll know what stink is! :D

I have a couple of lavender plants in pots inside my polytunnel. Grew one big lavender just outside it last year (killed by extreme cold in November) but it didn't make ant difference.....hence trying the inside track. You can pick live plants up from garden centres for not a lot.

My lilies are near some outside weed to try and mask the smell...

Ok might have a look in the garden centre, still have time as they haven't germinated yet.

Out of interest, and I know it is strain dependant, but on average what week would the smell start appearing? 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Scrape_the_resin said:

Out of interest, and I know it is strain dependant, but on average what week would the smell start appearing? 

Depends on strain and weather. Indoors, under lights, most autos start flowering around week 5 or 6 after germination. Outdoors it can take a fair bit longer, due to temperature fluctuations. If we get a cool period of weather, that will slow them down. Can be around 50 or 60 days before flowering starts, and 100 to 120 days in total from sprout to harvest. 

For example, I wet seeds on 1 April. The plants have been in the polytunnel since early May. They are currently in full flower, I anticipate they will finish around the end of July, or possibly early August if I want them well cooked.

28 minutes ago, Crow River said:

Depends on strain and weather. Indoors, under lights, most autos start flowering around week 5 or 6 after germination. Outdoors it can take a fair bit longer, due to temperature fluctuations. If we get a cool period of weather, that will slow them down. Can be around 50 or 60 days before flowering starts, and 100 to 120 days in total from sprout to harvest. 

For example, I wet seeds on 1 April. The plants have been in the polytunnel since early May. They are currently in full flower, I anticipate they will finish around the end of July, or possibly early August if I want them well cooked.

Thanks, that's kind of perfect to hear.  While it's not best for the plant, I expect them to be flowering mid/late August if all goes well, by which point general garden activity and social BBQs with the in laws wont be happening or greatly reduce anyway. 

• Like 1

I like a bit stealth lol large.edited-image_zps8hvmkdyn.jpg

i dont like poly tunnels tho i ended up chopping early before the mold and rot gods fucked it all

if you think that looks bad you shouldve seen it once id covered it over with black out sheet lol

• Like 4

56 minutes ago, Scrape_the_resin said:

Thanks, that's kind of perfect to hear.  While it's not best for the plant, I expect them to be flowering mid/late August if all goes well, by which point general garden activity and social BBQs with the in laws wont be happening or greatly reduce anyway. 

I grew in two waves last year, a May to late July grow and a June to early September. My experience is that humidity gets worse in September due to wetter weather, so watch out for mould late August onwards. I started a month earlier this year, but May was really cold, so everything was slower. Your veg period and early flower might be faster given the hours of daylight.

Edited by Crow River
  • Like 1

Smell wise.. they smell through all stages not just flowering. We had a bbq 3 weeks ago and friends commented on the weed like aroma (they were a good 50ft away from the plants and didn’t know they were there). 

• Like 1

A good thing I find that  throws up a good cover smell is the garden bark you find in garden centres, 60 0r 80 litre plastic bag wrapped. 

• Like 3

Personally I’m going to be planting lavender absofuckinglutely everywhere over the next week or two. Not just to mask the aroma,.. but also because we have a real issue with Mosquitoes and horse flies here. And they hate the stuff!! 

• Like 2

Happy days! Been out all day, finally just managed to pop down and see if there was anything happening, both seeds have germinated and popped above the soil! So about 72 hours to germinate direct in the pots.  

Can't quite contain my excitement, that's the first hurdle done.  

I've removed the pots to allow some air to them, hoping this is right? 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Struggling to get photos on here, I've tried all the guides etc... they are 2 weeks old today and looking amazing.  End of July and August expected to by dry and hot which would be great for them.  

• Like 3