Beginners advice on Harvesting

RougeDiablo

Hi, 
Brand New Member, and I've grown my first ever plant as an experiment. I'm an older bloke, who loves gardening, but keen to try cannabis for it's anti-anxiety, pain reduction properties. (Relaxing and a mild high would be a bonus). 
I bought one seed, and read up on all the various sources, to get me to this stage. I have what I think is a fully grown plant, not as impressive as most, but I definitely have something. I'm hawking the trichomes each day now, waiting for the glassy look to go milky, maybe with a touch of amber? I've taken some decent snaps on my macro camera on my smartphone, from today, and have noted how so many say Newbies often harvest too early. 
So am I right in thinking my trichomes are indeed still too early, and that's a better indication than pistils turning reddish and curling? If you all agree, I'm hoping my buds still have time to fatten up a little more? 
Can supply more info or images if required? 
Apologies if this is the wrong place to ask, if it is, maybe you can head me off to the correct part of the forum. 

Thanks in advance for any help given. :yep:

IMG-20230627-160303.jpg
IMG-20230627-155843.jpg
IMG-20230627-155942.jpg

• Like 14

Nice first grow, it looks really healthy.

It's not ready yet though I don't think, there are still quite a lot of white pistils (the hairy things on the buds) that still need to turn orange. Just keep doing what you're doing for another week or two at least.

BTW when you check trichomes you need to look at ones on buds, not the surrounding leaves. It'll be easier to see (and photo) the triches on the buds as they swell up more.

Edited by latigid aikon
  • Like 3

Just now, latigid aikon said:

Nice first grow, it looks really healthy.

It's not ready yet though I don't think, there are still quite a lot of white pistils (the hairy things on the buds) that still need to turn orange. Just keep doing what you're doing for another week or two.

BTW when you check trichomes you need to look at ones on buds, not the surrounding leaves. It'll be easier to see (and photo) the triches on the buds as they swell up more.

Cheers.....thanks for that. 

And there you go, first lesson learned. I thought the trichomes on the leaves were just the same. :)

• Like 2

2 hours ago, RougeDiablo said:

Cheers.....thanks for that. 

And there you go, first lesson learned. I thought the trichomes on the leaves were just the same. :)

Yeah, that is good advice.

While the overall effect is genetically determined at its core, the effect can be steered by harvesting earlier or later and as latigid aikon says, later is sounding like more your cup of tea.  Harvesting later also means you benefit from as much of the bud-swelling as possible and often tastier buds.

Now if you are new to cannabis and want anti-anxiety effects and only a mild high, I would recommend waiting until a decent number of those trichomes are amber. Glassy is racier.

When trichomes are glassy, the contents tends towards the racy and paranoid end of the spectrum.  When they are milky, the chemical balance tends to be less paranoid but at maximum strength When they are going amber, they tend towards the sleepier effect as the THC that makes the high breaks down into sleepier molecules, CBN etc.

Don't forget that once harvested, you are going to want to keep them at something like 20C and an RH of 60%, out of the light with only a gentle breeze in the vicinity.

Well done, for a first grow that looks great :)

• Like 6

Just now, MidgeSmith said:

Yeah, that is good advice.

While the overall effect is genetically determined at its core, the effect can be steered by harvesting earlier or later and as latigid aikon says, later is sounding like more your cup of tea.  Harvesting later also means you benefit from as much of the bud-swelling as possible and often tastier buds.

Now if you are new to cannabis and want anti-anxiety effects and only a mild high, I would recommend waiting until a decent number of those trichomes are amber. Glassy is racier.

When trichomes are glassy, the contents tends towards the racy and paranoid end of the spectrum.  When they are milky, the chemical balance tends to be less paranoid but at maximum strength When they are going amber, they tend towards the sleepier effect as the THC that makes the high breaks down into sleepier molecules, CBN etc.

Don't forget that once harvested, you are going to want to keep them at something like 20C and an RH of 60%, out of the light with only a gentle breeze in the vicinity.

Well done, for a first grow that looks great :)

Thanks for all that. 

That's just the sort of explanations, tips and reassurance I was after. 

I'll be leaving it a while then, for now. 

I'm a confident gardener, but you always love hearing tips and advice over new plants. 

I've never been a cigarette or cannabis smoker, but do like a couple of cigars a year, so I'm hoping that I like the taste of cannabis, when I finally get to try it? 
If everything goes well, and I don't, some lucky Sod will be getting a few jars of white widow!!! (I think that was the name of the seed I bought, but I stupidly thew the package away!) :)

• Like 4

Just now, RougeDiablo said:

I've never been a cigarette or cannabis smoker, but do like a couple of cigars a year, so I'm hoping that I like the taste of cannabis, when I finally get to try it? 

Cannabis is far nicer tasting and smoother to smoke than a cigar, especially for a non-cigarette smoker!

But because it's so smooth it's easier to inhale a LOT of smoke without really noticing if you're new to cannabis, this particularly catches out cigarette smokers who often cough when they exhale pure cannabis smoke that they didn't feel while inhaling (pure as in not mixed with tobacco) so just take small puffs until you get a feel for it.

Let us know what you think when you try it, as long as you dry it properly and you haven't over fertilised it I'm sure you'll really like it, especially compared to a cigar lol

• Like 2

3 hours ago, RougeDiablo said:

not as impressive as most

Pretty impressive to me :hippy:.  Few more weeks and you'll have a first crop to be really proud of. 

• Like 3

Can tell you're an experienced gardener. People spend hundreds on equipment to get a plant like that. Well done :guitar:

• Like 5

Just now, RougeDiablo said:

Thanks for all that. 

That's just the sort of explanations, tips and reassurance I was after. 

I'll be leaving it a while then, for now. 

I'm a confident gardener, but you always love hearing tips and advice over new plants. 

If everything goes well, and I don't, some lucky Sod will be getting a few jars of white widow!!! (I think that was the name of the seed I bought, but I stupidly thew the package away!) :)

Indeed, heh heh they would be luck indeed!

You are completely welcome of course.  It is also good to know that the strain is White Widow.  I experienced that strain first in 1990 on my second visit to Amsterdam and found it quite strong.

When you are using cannabis for anti-anxiety properties, I feel that it is important to go quite slowly, that is to say, don't have too much at a time.  The reason being that cannabis is one of the most comfortable and comforting substances in the world, but she can take you the other way if you go way overboard.

If you find your heart racing, be aware cannabis never killed anybody, but you can experience anxiety using cannabis because it can steer your thoughts and your rhythm.  Yes your heart will beat faster, but it is at a lower pressure, so it all evens out.  The reality is that you may feel a little anxious at times if you take a bit more than you want, but know you WILL be fine and like any drug, once you are feeling the effects and relax into it, cannabis can do you the world of good. If you do feel anxious at all at any point, it will pass quite quickly.

I always think back to an anecdote from America, someone asking a republican why cigarettes and alcohol were legal and cannabis illegal.  He replied "Marijuana doesn't make you feel like voting republican."

How you dose will depend on how you use it.  I vape dry herbs, some like to smoke reefers of pure cannabis.  Personally, I'd recommend going a toke / pull / draw / inhalation at a time and acclimatise as you go.  Once you know cannabis more intimately, you can enjoy stronger effects and more deep meditations without being concerned about the changes to your heartbeat, focus, sound and vision which are all good.

Perhaps as you prepare for your first experience with cannabis, you could make sure that your environment is perfect.  Pick a time where nobody will be disturbing you, make sure your favourite part of your house or garden is available.  Have your favourite music ready and prepare some delicious food, because I will tell you now, it will NEVER have tasted so good. and you might find you enjoy the music even more than you ever have before :)  Cannabis can feel profound and the more familiar pleasures and comforts you have ready, available and around you for your first experience, the more enjoyable you are likely to find it.

I hope that isn't all a bit much and teaching you to suck eggs.  I just look back over the years at the various joys cannabis has brought me and hope that it helps you relax and unwind as it has me.

• Like 8

Just now, latigid aikon said:

Cannabis is far nicer tasting and smoother to smoke than a cigar, especially for a non-cigarette smoker!

But because it's so smooth it's easier to inhale a LOT of smoke without really noticing if you're new to cannabis, this particularly catches out cigarette smokers who often cough when they exhale pure cannabis smoke that they didn't feel while inhaling (pure as in not mixed with tobacco) so just take small puffs until you get a feel for it.

Let us know what you think when you try it, as long as you dry it properly and you haven't over fertilised it I'm sure you'll really like it, especially compared to a cigar lol

Interesting? 

It's all very subjective, but makes sense. My partner is an ex-smoker, and she struggles not to inhale on the occasional puff of one of my cigars (Her guilty pleasure). 
But because I've never smoked cigarettes, I'm all taste and mouthfeel, rather than a nicotine hit to the lungs.

I hope you are right, and will let you know, in due course. :)

• Like 3

Just now, MidgeSmith said:

Indeed, heh heh they would be luck indeed!

You are completely welcome of course.  It is also good to know that the strain is White Widow.  I experienced that strain first in 1990 on my second visit to Amsterdam and found it quite strong.

When you are using cannabis for anti-anxiety properties, I feel that it is important to go quite slowly, that is to say, don't have too much at a time.  The reason being that cannabis is one of the most comfortable and comforting substances in the world, but she can take you the other way if you go way overboard.

If you find your heart racing, be aware cannabis never killed anybody, but you can experience anxiety using cannabis because it can steer your thoughts and your rhythm.  Yes your heart will beat faster, but it is at a lower pressure, so it all evens out.  The reality is that you may feel a little anxious at times if you take a bit more than you want, but know you WILL be fine and like any drug, once you are feeling the effects and relax into it, cannabis can do you the world of good. If you do feel anxious at all at any point, it will pass quite quickly.

I always think back to an anecdote from America, someone asking a republican why cigarettes and alcohol were legal and cannabis illegal.  He replied "Marijuana doesn't make you feel like voting republican."

How you dose will depend on how you use it.  I vape dry herbs, some like to smoke reefers of pure cannabis.  Personally, I'd recommend going a toke / pull / draw / inhalation at a time and acclimatise as you go.  Once you know cannabis more intimately, you can enjoy stronger effects and more deep meditations without being concerned about the changes to your heartbeat, focus, sound and vision which are all good.

Perhaps as you prepare for your first experience with cannabis, you could make sure that your environment is perfect.  Pick a time where nobody will be disturbing you, make sure your favourite part of your house or garden is available.  Have your favourite music ready and prepare some delicious food, because I will tell you now, it will NEVER have tasted so good. and you might find you enjoy the music even more than you ever have before :)  Cannabis can feel profound and the more familiar pleasures and comforts you have ready, available and around you for your first experience, the more enjoyable you are likely to find it.

I hope that isn't all a bit much and teaching you to suck eggs.  I just look back over the years at the various joys cannabis has brought me and hope that it helps you relax and unwind as it has me.

Great info. 

Funnily enough, I'm feeling rather cautious about it, and preparing to take it step by step. I won't even be starting with cigarette paper jobs (Reefer type cigarettes). I've bought small metal pipes, with filters, off amazon, where you just put a little in the cup, and can only smoke a bit before you have to re-fill. I hope that is a common ploy for beginners, who are wary, and don't dive in head first. 

But you are helping to 'colour in' my objectives, with a bit of experience. :)

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, MindSoup said:

Pretty impressive to me :hippy:.  Few more weeks and you'll have a first crop to be really proud of. 

2 minutes ago, Lubdub said:

Can tell you're an experienced gardener. People spend hundreds on equipment to get a plant like that. Well done :guitar:

Thanks Guys.....I'll take compliments all day! :george:

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, DutchFox said:

The Best Microscope for Marijuana Under $15: A Focused Review!

So I'm aiming for the last one (Half Cloudy, Half Amber), but as someone previously pointed out, it should definitely be on the amber side, to enhance the anti-anxiety aspect? 
The reality is to be able to spot that, and on the buds and not the nearby leaves? 
As it stands, in my pictures, I'm told to wait, which I will. But if the Buds had been like those leaves, I'm looking at them as 70/30 Clear to Cloudy? Maybe 80/20? 
Is that what you are seeing? If that's right, I will focus on Trichomes on the Buds, and wait until I have at least a sprinkling of amber, if not 50/50? 
Thanks. 

• Like 2