Scissors, Trimbag or Spinpro?

Amnesia

Harvest with Scissors, Spinpro or Trimbag?  

35 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Good evening all. Been growing for around 14 years now and hate harvesting. My room is only 3ft x 3ft and only grow 2 to 4 plants but it takes me at least 6 hours with scissors come chop time. I've always trimmed wet besides the one time when i just cut off all the fan leaves and hung the stems to dry then had a go at dry trimming with scissors, i was not keen on this method but maybe the Trim bags are great for this?

So the time has come to try and cut down on the time spent harvesting. My normal method is to remove all leaves then hang the stems to dry, once dry i remove the buds from the stems, a final manicure then brown bag them for a few days before jarring up.

Like this :

medium.5e77d47edd07f_OceanGrowncookiesha

medium.5e826e87db622_BlueberryandOceanGr

medium.5e838307617af_BlueberryandOceanGr

My question is, Has anyone used the Spinpro and get good results? i like the idea of this as i can just cut the buds off wet into golfball size and will surely cut down on the time, i've heard you can rough the buds up but if you don't turn the handle too fast it should be all good. Cone shaped buds or stacked calaxys are not so good i hear in the spinpro ? Any opinions on the spinpro would be great, by the way i'm thinking of buying the spinpro with the metal top and not the clear lid version, the clear lid one has proper blades i hear instead of the wires?

Now are these Trimbags really any good? Dry trimming only though i know. Wth these do you just remove all the fan leaves and bigger leaves, dry on the stems, once dry remove the buds from the stems then put in the trim bag for a few turns? If you could share your method and which trimbag you have that would be great, thanks.

Sorry about all the questions, my first choice would be the spinpro so any advice especially on these would be really helpful.

I've also done a poll just to see what the majority do so please take part if you can, i suspect the majority will be scissors anyhow and yes i realise we all need to use scissors for some of the process no matter which method we use. There are also the electric trimmers but not mentioned those as not needed for my harvests.

Thanks in advance for any advice. :yep:

• Like 2

As much as a pain in the arse it is, I dry trimming with scissors, Less disruption to trichomes and better finish that the other two methods

But i'd admit my last grow i noticed i have been getting abit lazy and just cutting a bulk of the sugar leaves and then just remove the rest when i go to use it.

My mate who grows commercially uses a Spin Pro, He swears but it in terms of time saving, I've never used one myself but he wet trims with the spin pro and then dries and his buds still look great and finish product still taste great, So that would be my second choice if i was to make that move, trim bags need to the weed too dry for my liking and still disruptive to trichomes so a lose lose.

Edited by Military Grade
Spelling
  • Like 6

I've used trimbags, and I actually quite like them with certain kinds of cannabis, stuff thats quite dense and round anyway like stardawg are made for the trimbag, but anything thats a bit fingery or fluffy and its a no go, at best it doesn't trim it very good at worst it just destroys it. Even with bud that really suits it, its only doing about 80% of the job for you - handy if you've got loads to do. Spin Pros bash any kind of bud up, and from what I've seen (i've never used one) makes the bud really dark, almost like its bruised. Same can be said for any kind of spin pro esque device, manual or automatic.

Honestly for a 1m x 1m tent I'd just trim it dry with scissors. Once you've hung and dried them, debone the bud into a sealed bucket or similar container and chip away at it over a few days. Its the way I do it tbh and its loads less stress, I hate wet trimming. Uncomfortable, can't stop until its done, stinks, sticky and messy. I'd never wet trim ever again its giving me flash backs just talking about it, not only is it traumatic the finish isn't even as good as a dry trim. 

• Like 8

I always used to wet trim but now find I just don't have the time with the mrs to look after.

I remove fans and hang the plants whole rather than just stems which increases drying time, no bad thing...

...then into the trimbag once they are brittle dry and as Syrup says it deals with around 80% then remove the rest as it gets used.

• Like 4

Half arsed dry trim with scissors for me, although I don't really cut the leaves off. I mostly sort of drag the blade gently against the grain of the sugar leaves, it seems to end up with less resin clumped on the blades. 

• Like 6

@Military Grade @GSZZ @stu914 @MindSoup Thanks for the replies. yes always wet trimmed myself but its so boring and not to mention the headache.

So i've decided against the spinpro and the trimbag as a good point raised was the potential damage to the trichomes, next harvest then i plan to wet trim all the fan leaves and bigger leaves, hang by the stems until dry, then once dry destalk and trim sugar leaves before brown bagging.

A similar method to all my previous harvests but this time i'll leave the sugar leaves on until dry and then trim up. I think what was taking so long before was that i'd trim all the sugar leaves when wet but as mentioned once dried they should come off more easily. Then we have the cannabrush, anyone used those? i guess a basting brush would do the same trick though.

I'm sticking to the scissors then and switching to dry trim.

I may find it easier too in future as i've treated myself to some spring loaded ones, as far as i remember i've only had about 3 pairs of scissors, first pair was spring loaded and must of had them for around 5 years until they broke trying to cut through a trunk, and the second pair i still actually have and work fine, i do clean them though and sharpen on a block. This new pair are spring loaded so should be less stressful anyhow lol

Edited by Amnesia
spelling
  • Like 6

I use Both (Own Spinpro, Have access to trim bag) So use both every harvest. Spin pro on the lower less dense which is wet trimmed, trim bag on the more dense buds which is dry trimmed.

I am very much not a scissor guy because quite simply trimming drives me insane, but if I had to pick either the spin pro or the bag, I think I would use the bag, and then I would go over any bits that were not done well by the bag by hand. The bag isn't great with less dense buds but does great more dense buds. 

But I have also done harvests 100% with the spin pro, and I have never been unhappy with the results of the trim. Yes they probably both knock trichs off, but it really isn't as drastic as people who haven't used one think. I doubt very much that anyone could tell the difference between smoking either hand trimmed weed with a trimming bag\ spin pro weed.  

• Like 6

I use these, got a multi pack dirt cheap on the big river site, they really help with hand fatigue, They are also crazy sharp lol

large.20211002_165312.jpg

• Like 6

Moved from wet to dry trimming a long while ago & never gone back. I find it a boring tiresome process and as the only person I have to keep happy regarding quality of the finished product as it goes into the grinder for vaping is myself, I'm very happy to take shortcuts. 

Not tried the CannaBrush and for the best part of £30 won't be trying anytime soon. Alternatives are shown on the River when viewing the CannaBrush, I paid £2.99 for a pair of silicone brushes and absolutely love them.

Trich damage has been mentioned & the brush isn't an exception. Use it over a screen or trimbin & the time saving / anti tedium factor is a win for me. 

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Military Grade said:

I use these, got a multi pack dirt cheap on the big river site, they really help with hand fatigue, They are also crazy sharp lol

large.20211002_165312.jpg

Excellent, thanks. 

Ordered. 

• Like 5

I tidy them up as they come down, dry for three weeks on the net and still on stalk then just snap it off and into a bucket it goes. Sorted. That’s the best way I have found. You simply brush off any untidy bits with ya fingers. Et voila.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bulldogbill91 said:

I've just wet trimmed 2 plants for a change to see the difference.. I've wet trimmed and got them in a drying net. How long do you normally wait for these to dry? Various answers online. Is there any difference in it ? Faster dry time do you lose taste or smell? 

I dry on the branch so give it three weeks at 16-18c

@Bulldogbill91  My mate uses a luggage hanging scales to weight the drying racks, weights them at the start then keeps checking them until if I remember right until they have lost 30% of their original weight.

• Like 1

That'll be wet I'd say, more like they are 30% of original weight as in list 70%.

I've never actually tried weighing it wet though lol

• Like 4

@KC Yeah that sounds about right mate :yep:

Forgive me i had shamelessly only got half out of bed at the time of posting and brain wasn't fully awake yet (if it ever is lol )

• Like 3