Avocet’s New Newby Diary

Avocet

@Crow River, thanks man.

Neville is getting the chop in a few days methinks. Have to get her drying before I go unexpectedly have to go away. Sod’s Law -  bad timing. (The going away, not poor Neville! lol)

@OldFord pointed me toward the LD with the F Duck. And I have to say I’m very pleased! I honestly don’t find it too much of a pain…she goes in/out at 8 o’clock which works for me. She’ll be put back out while I’m away, so have to hope and pray she continues to flower with the change in light. 

Are you doing or have done some Ducks? 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Avocet said:

Are you doing or have done some Ducks? 

Have I ever! :) 

Also grew Auto Duck last year in the polytunnel, but had some humidity issues... :( 

All the best with the grow mate, fingers crossed that beautiful Frisian Duck pulls through for you. 

• Like 2

@Crow River

lol Just had a look!!
Holy shit, oh yes, u definitely have done a ‘few’!! Looking great mate! 

Thus far, I’m most definitely a fellow Duck fan :yep:

• Like 1

Duck is a great stealth plant. You could put it anywere in the garden and know one would look twice. Love it.

@Avocet what's she smell like , is she pungent?

• Like 1

@CustardVape

Seriously loving the Duck! She’s beautiful!

purple flowers are really coming on!! I use her to shield the two smaller plants and even as she’s flowering the average Joe wouldn’t be able to tell…

She really isn’t so pungent, at this stage anyway.

Dutch P’s description of “spicy, with pine and citrus” is bang on the money if I run my fingers across the purple. 

The Neville Haze however is putting it out. lol

Hope all’s well and the girls are thriving mate!

A

• Like 1

Well, bad news. 

With all the soggy, damp and autumnal weather lost the main cola on Super Cali Haze to rot. Just couldnt dry out it’s been so humid here. 

Thought I may have caught it early but just looked and it was shot through. Chopped and buried quick sharp.

Should I bin the rest of the plant? or wait and see. Looks like it could be in the Green Crack too. Soggy looking brown pistils low down whilst the upper/top pistils are still white. Luckily have some sun (and wind) between showers so game of in/out at the moment. 

Fucking British summer eh! Mid July!!!?  :mellow:

Edited by Avocet
  • Like 2

That's shit mate to lose the mains. All you can do is cut the brown stuff out and salvage what you can.

I'm in the same boat. Tonight I found another small patch of rot on ABC. I'm not gambling with her anymore so I've harvested her. Shame as I think she could have gone a couple more weeks.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Avocet said:

With all the soggy, damp and autumnal weather lost the main cola on Super Cali Haze to rot. Just couldnt dry out it’s been so humid here. 

Shit dude what a fuker, sorry to hear this man but im afraid to say its part and parcel when growing outdoors.. dont bin the whole plant as the lowers might hold up as there prob not as dense as the main cola..all you can do is hope mate and just wait it out..it may feel like a waste of time but its worth it if you get a little something for your efforts :yep:

• Like 2

@Revive Bit pissed mate, but it is what it is! Can’t control the weather. I’ve been living abroad and only back in the uk for a little while. The weather here drives me up the proverbial wall!! lol

To be honest, she was smallest of the lot but the lemony haze smell was lush! The lowers may still come good….He says as it starts raining! Haha :wallbash: 

Pics and diary update below…

Have a great weekend bud. Hope alls good with u and yours! 

• Like 2

Soooo, it’s that time again. Tales of trials and tribulations. lol

C Neville Haze auto:

101 days

Uppers have been chopped! And she’s been in here for the past 5 days. Drying nice and slow so far! 

large.IMG_2215.jpeg

Lowers coming along nicely. They’ll go into dry in 5 days or so, as I go away for 10 days.

The (hopefully dried) uppers get a trim and into Grove bags! Fingers crossed the plan comes together! 

large.IMG_2238.jpeglarge.IMG_2235.jpeglarge.IMG_2236.jpeg

Frisian Duck fem:

101 days

Shes fine and dandy. Lovely purple buds developing. Cut back on the nutes as leaves looking a bit burned but hard to tell if this is from before. Lovely smells starting to come from her. 

large.IMG_2231.jpeg

large.IMG_2232.jpeg

Green Crack auto:

81 days

She’s doing ok. Keeping an eye out for bud rot. Some of the pistils lower down turned brown and were soggy but a bit of sun yesterday seems to have dried them out. No grey or blackening further inside buds at this stage. Also, a few more pistils are turning brown all over, so hoping she’s just maturing.

Big question is should I prune her a bit after losing the main cola on the Cali Haze to rot?? She’s not as dense. Any advice appreciated! See below, I’ve ringed two lower branches that have literally nothing in them. I figure they’re just sapping energy? Popcorn buds? I won’t be making anything from them. 

large.IMG_2229.jpeg

large.IMG_2230.jpeg

large.42E5DEC9-036D-4316-8CD8-0E6EA05ADED9.jpeg

Super Cali Haze auto:

81 days

Well, sadly with all this beautiful weather I’ve lost the main cola to rot. Cut a bit out a few days ago but came back from work yesterday and it was run through. Chopped and buried it quick sharp. 
She was the smallest and most dense of the lot. Have left the lowers to see what happens and she’s away from the other girls.

Hopefully some buds will persist…that beautiful, zesty lemon smell is amazing! Love it.

large.IMG_2241.jpeglarge.IMG_2243.jpeg

And last but not least,

Mighty Amstel Freezeland:

- 27 days

- 24cm

Seems to be doing great. Potted her up into her final pot yesterday. With all the bad weather and rot, I’m so glad I decided to wet a late seed now!!
Will top her she’s ready I think…she has 4 main nodes now.

large.IMG_2239.jpeg

large.IMG_2240.jpeg

I hope everyone’s ticketyboo and the shitty summer weather ain’t causing too many problems! Roll on some better temps and sun!

As always thank you for all the help and input…Have a great weekend! A 

Edited by Avocet
  • Like 4

Sad news on copping some rot sir ,  its never eay to watch or experience !       Im thinking this year we are going to get battered both auto & fem  ,hope not nits looking likely.

As for trimming & stripping  ,  whilst in flower i try keep it to a necessary minimum,  if its only to bring on lowers im less worried and crack on ,  airflow in the current climate is hugely important , the more air you can get moving the better the odds ,   kep the faith and push on is all we can do alongside daily rot patrols !  

Hope you keep it at bay mate :yep:

Edited by OldFord
  • Like 2

@OldFord How are u this weekend mate…onwards and upwards and feeling ok I hope! 

Yes, it’s a bit for the airflow but more about diverting energy to the branches above and opening the plant. The two lowest branches are really long but just nothing really on them…was thinking it might help the 2nd node above and higher if I prune them? 

Will the tiny buds on the lowest 1st node branches develop later? 

Have a good weekend fella! A

Edited by Avocet
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Avocet said:

Uppers have been chopped! And she’s been in here for the past 5 days. Drying nice and slow so far! 

large.IMG_2215.jpeg

Hi there Pal,

That extraction is set up wrong.

The filters are designed to suck air through and not blow air through 

The filter should be in that box it’s coming out of and the fan should be where the filter is, sucking air from the filter so the air gets pulled through the first two boxes, into the last box, through the filter and out the fan

• Like 2

@BluePeter

Cheers for the heads up…I may well have a change around today if I have time. Seems to be air flow and no smell though tbh. 

Fighting a losing battle with bud rot at the moment, so may well be a moot point whether to blow or suck. :wallbash:

Thanks, A

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Avocet said:

Fighting a losing battle with bud rot at the moment, so may well be a moot point whether to blow or suck.

Yes mate, if the airs not flowing properly due the filter the wrong way , then the air will be more stagnant so rot will take hold.

If your able to have that dry box in your place without worrying anyone, you can get away with no filter and windows open as the constant airflow in and out the windows won’t let the smell build up in the room.

But a filter is a safer option all around 

• Like 2