Avocet’s New Newby Diary

Avocet

Avocets Newby Diary 

Part 1:

Hey all, 

Been meaning to start the diary since I joined and finally getting around to sit and jot it all down. Bit of a catch up as I’m on week 7/8 with the first two girls.

it’s been a horrible, cold and wet start to spring here, so I’ve no idea if they’re doing well but I’m loving the whole experience so far!! 

Anyway here we go…

The first 2:

Critical Neville OG Haze (auto)

Frisian Duck (photo)

Germinated start of April and planted into small pots for window sill in Clover mpc on 05/04/24.

(Also, I had a Frisian Duck auto on the left but it never got going).

large.IMG_1748.jpeg

large.46612D2E-0E6E-4766-8A6B-480226AF0115.jpeg

Weather was cold and damp - so waited to them start them outside in the bigger pots - probably a bit too long. Not sure.

So Neville went into a 22l fabric pot in same medium (Clover) on the 29/04/23.

The 30l pot for Ducky arrived a few days later…

large.E209F323-76E4-4CF4-8108-BC2EDAE65C0B.jpeg

large.IMG_1799.jpeg

Next pics are from the 08/05/23:

large.IMG_1816.jpeglarge.IMG_1817.jpeg

large.CEE66CDB-C7D1-449F-9064-FB0C42D6F4B6.jpeg

Part 2 to follow…

Edited by Avocet
  • Like 14

Avocets Newby Diary 

Part 2:

So figured I’d probably got overexcited and germinated Neville and Ducky a bit early so I germinated another 2x autos at the beginning of May…

- Super Cali Haze auto 

- Green Crack auto

These two are going into Dr Organics living soil. Calli in a 30l fabric pot and Cracker into the same but 22l. I’m interested to see if there’s any differences. 

Germinated and planted them into living soil in small pots in 03/05/23.

Pics are from the 14/05/23:

large.IMG_1841.jpeg

large.IMG_1840.jpeg

Meanwhile Neville and Ducky seem to be going ok. By now it’s warmed up…slightly!

Neville on 14/05

large.IMG_1837.jpeg

large.IMG_1838.jpeg

And Ducky…

large.IMG_1836.jpeg

large.IMG_1839.jpeg

I’m digging the weird crinkly leaves.

I have a feeling I was also not really watering them enough. I was worried. But since then I’ve been giving them a fair bit more but hopefully not too much.

On 19/05 that Neville had the first couple of white hairs on the top node. 

Part 3 to follow…

• Like 10

Avocets Newby Diary 
Part 3:

So, to get up to speed.

29/05/23, Yesterday Calli and Cracker went into their big girl pots in the same living soil. We had a warm few days but it’s been short lived and gone cold again, so putting them out in the daytime and bringing them into the conservatory at night.

large.IMG_1864.jpeg

large.IMG_1865.jpeg

Meanwhile Neville and Ducky seem to be doing ok. They’re both about 50cm high.

Another thing I’ve forgot to mention is it is bloody windy here ALL the bloody time…I mean everyday!!! I’ve lived in mountainsides calmer than my back garden. Not sure what effect that may have? Maybe better to bring them in at night? But then I place them out to get the sun first thing and move them before I go to work for the afternoon sun. 

large.IMG_1862.jpeg

large.IMG_1861.jpeg

large.IMG_1863.jpeg

large.IMG_1859.jpeglarge.IMG_1860.jpeg

large.IMG_1858.jpeg

• Like 8

Avocets Newby Diary 

Part 4:

…finally caught up and up to speed!!

Few pics of Neville: 8 weeks in by reckoning 

large.IMG_1871.jpeglarge.IMG_1870.jpeglarge.IMG_1868.jpeg

Bit lower down

large.IMG_1866.jpeg

Is she going into flowering phase??

I haven’t had a chance to sort out any nutrients. On another post re Clover, I read that once they start the flowering phase to give them a couple of weeks of Canna Vega and then get into feeding them Canna Flora? Sound about right? 

Cheers Avo

• Like 8

Hey all,

So a week on…trying to post updates once a week! 

Neville:

- Critical Neville Haze Auto

- 9 weeks in from germination.

- 22l Clover mpc pot

- 64cm high (grown approx 14cm in 6 days)

large.IMG_1885.jpeg

large.IMG_1886.jpeg

large.IMG_1887.jpeg

large.IMG_1896.jpeg

My nutes have finally arrived! I have Canna Vega and Flores ready to go from tomorrow morning. I need to read up on how much to feed and when etc…

I was going to start with the Vega for a couple of weeks. And then move onto the Flora. Bear with me, my first time and (I think) she seems to be going into the flower phase. I’m sure I read in a post from @blackpoolbouncer to keep it simple in Clover mpc?

Also, should I trim a couple of the lower branches or let nature take its course? 

Ducky

- Frisian Duck photo

- 9 weeks in from germination

- 30l Clover mpc pot

- 61cm (grown approx 11cm in a week)

large.IMG_1890.jpeg

large.IMG_1889.jpeg

large.IMG_1888.jpeg

Glad her into a pot. I can move them into the sun and hopefully into the garage later down the line… @OldFordmentioned trying some light deprivation to help her over the line!?

Neville’s been eaten here and there but nothing serious…Ducky seems to be shrugging them off. I had a wee ladybird I put on Neville, she stayed for a week or two to help but now flown away to pastures new. I love that the Ducky really is unrecognisable to the average Joe. And my neighbours!! 

Calli

- Super Cali Haze auto

- 4 weeks from germination 

- 30l Dr Organics Living Soil pot

- 21cm high 

large.IMG_1893.jpeg

large.IMG_1894.jpeg

Cracker

- Green Crack auto

- 4 weeks from germination

- 22l Dr Organics Living Soil pot

- 17cm

large.IMG_1891.jpeglarge.IMG_1892.jpeglarge.IMG_1895.jpeg

So, thanks for looking. And any advice or guidance gratefully received! I’m totally and utterly hooked on all this. :D Cheers, A.

• Like 10

Light dep for the win :yep:         Gives us strictly outdoors growers a chance to get something more exotic over the line :george: 

My fems are going into light dep in a few days.    

• Like 2

Hey @OldFord,

How are u!? :) 

Am I right in presuming they go into dark/outdoors on a 12/12 rotation??

And when should I think about starting that?

And shit, then how would that work with nutrients. I was going to start Duck and Neville on Canna Vega tomorrow…

I think I have some swotting up to do. Oh dear. 

• Like 1

Hey mate ,  im slowly on the mend sir thanks.       Sorry if my last post was too brief ,  im still struggling a tad with vision , wasnt ignorance :yep:

Light dep ..... the outdoor gardeners friend ,   basically once your plants reach maturity as in you could flower them  ,  then you can introduce light dep.

You would normally gradually introduce bloom feed a few weeks prior to the flip ,  a 24 to 48 hrs dark period then carry on with the 12 / 12 schedule til your ladies are cooked.   

Once you are on your full strnegth bloom feed i suggest carrying on with a reduced grow feed schedule also.

When to flip is a personal choice :yep:     I do very early starts & plant outs so im ready for a 1st june flip , i am about a wk behind due to health issues ,  my candidates for light dep are now approx 1mtr tall , been manipulated & topped numerous times to give me a decent plant ,  i dont want monsters in the garden but i do want a fair sized plant in good healthy condition that will stand a chance of a decent yield.   

I hope this helps sir  ,  the very best of luck with it and keep us posted :yep:      If your stuck just shout ,  i may not be on too often but i will answer lol    

• Like 2

Not at all @OldFord…Thank you for the low down. Really appreciate u taking the time.

Have had a bit of a read up as well and think I’ll get her into the garage in a week or so, Duck and Neville are both about 9weeks in…a pretty early start I think?

I’ve just started them both on a bit of the Canna Terra Vega this evening.
2.5ml in 10litres between them to start, so I’d like to see the effect. I need to make something to black out the garage. Too much light gets in at the moment! 

Also, could I ask whether u think it’s too late to top the Duck? She’s about 60cm high with 7 strong nodes and a smaller 8th. 

Very happy to hear that you’re on the mend and thanks again for your time! 

Edited by Avocet
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, Avocet said:

Not at all @OldFord…Thank you for the low down. Really appreciate u taking the time.

Have had a bit of a read up as well and think I’ll get her into the garage in a week or so, Duck and Neville are both about 9weeks in…a pretty early start I think?

I’ve just started them both on a bit of the Canna Terra Vega this evening.
2.5ml in 10litres between them to start, so I’d like to see the effect. I need to make something to black out the garage. Too much light gets in at the moment! 

Also, could I ask whether u think it’s too late to top the Duck? She’s about 60cm high with 7 strong nodes and a smaller 8th. 

Very happy to hear that you’re on the mend and thanks again for your time! 

Sorry i have to quote as cant tag lol          

In respect of topping ,  if you top today then its going to take a couple of wks for new heads to appear , bearing in mind when you light dep she will still be growing and will take prob 2kws to kick into proper flower , you may just make it :yep:     Either way she will carry on and and shes done when shes done depending on how well your cooking her.   

Get her topped / manipulated  / tied down /  get rid of fans blocking light and get her in light dep :george:    

All the best with it sir .

• Like 3

Thanks @OldFord, much appreciated again!

Seems I’m cutting it a bit close, if you’ll pardon the pun! It’s my first grow, so prefer not to risk it and I can concentrate on getting the nutes and LD right.

I just started feeding the Vega and wanted to leave her out for a week or two before starting LD anyway Also gives me time to light proof the garage! 
I read the on Dutch Passion that the Frisian Duck will bloom for 8-9 weeks, so hoping she could be there in first couple of weeks of Sept give or take…??

It’s still really cold and grey here but sun and warmer temps are on the way, allegedly! 

Hope you’re feeling well fella and still on the mend! 
Many thanks. 

Edited by Avocet
  • Like 1

The breeders times quoted will be for optimum perfect indoor grow conditions sir ,  i use them as a loose guideline :yep:

The man to speak to in respect of Duck would be Crow River ,   hes on a Duck mission this year and had them out last year also.    

All we can do is put them out , cook them , monitor for new pistils , pistils browning & withdrawing and trich colouration.    

Once the natural daylight hours shift and are consistent  ie fems are triggering naturally you can stop light dep if you wish and let nature play out ,  i have only seen them try to reveg once in my time.   I personally carry on light dep until i chop , each to their own and you will nail your own methods down as you go mate.    

• Like 2

Weekly update…

Well, this is superb isn’t it!? Totally loving this. All of it. It’s utterly absorbing and addictive…lol…100% wish I’d done a couple more!!

Critical Neville Haze auto

- 70 days

- 80cm (grown about 16cm)

Started her on the Canna Vega a week ago and had 3 feeds of up to 2.5-3ml per litre so far. She seems to be going into flower now. 

When to start on the Canna Flora?? I’m guessing next week some time? 

large.6D218697-F4BC-47EC-B151-6ADD253C1AF2.jpeg

large.IMG_1930.jpeg

large.IMG_1936.jpeg

large.IMG_1937.jpeg

Frisian Duck fem

- 70 days

- 80cm (grown 19cm in week or so)

Not much to say she seems to be doing fine and dandy. Started her on the Canna Vega alongside Neville. Definitely need to sort out some light deprivation next week - however it this also involves me having a massive garage sort out. :wallbash:Best crack on…

large.IMG_1932.jpeg

Super Cali Haze auto

- 42 days

- 32cm (grown 11cm in week)

The SCH is in living soil, so seeing how she progresses without nutes. The medium is supposed to be “just add water” until into flower. I’m tempted to start on the Canna vega tbh. You’ll see why in the Green Crack entry…

large.IMG_1934.jpeg

large.IMG_1935.jpeg

Green Crack auto

- 42 days

- 29cm (grown 12cm)

And now to the leaf issues. She was doing fine and then noticed that the bottom two leaves were starting to discolour. They’ve gotten progressively worse and looks like it’s spreading to the next two leaves up.

Been advised it could be mag or cal deficiency. Would be very grateful if anyone else has experience of this! 

large.IMG_1921.jpeg
large.IMG_1922.jpeglarge.IMG_1923.jpeg

large.IMG_1924.jpeg

She still seems to be growing. The weather has suddenly gone very hot the last few days and they all definitely needed a good watering. So decided to start her on the Vega as well, see if she was needing some extra nutrients. It also has some msg in it.
If not maybe try some mono-mag or Epsom salts?

large.IMG_1933.jpeg

All together…
large.IMG_1929.jpeg

Anyways, thanks for looking!
Eternal gratitude for any advice or pointers and hope everyone is enjoying the summer sun and warmth!! A

Edited by Avocet
  • Like 3

Looking really nice here. I see youre using Clover too , it's great stuff the plants literaly grow themselves in it. The nutrients are uaualy all used up after around 4-5 weeks so you would need to start the grow/bloom.

Good luck :yep:

• Like 1

@CustardVape

Thanks man…yes, the two bigger plants are in Clover. Read about it on here…Amazing stuff!!! They’ve shot up and remained healthy. I’m feeding them the Vega now. And will start the Neville H auto on some Flores bloom next week. 

The other two smaller autos are in living soil and both starting to have issues. Wish I’d not bothered and put them in Clover too…but hey ho, live and learn!

I see your babies are doing well and the Apollo Black Cherry looks great! :yep:

Edit: Just decided to pop one of the back up beans; have a Mighty Amstel Freezeland or another Critical Neville auto, straight into the Clover!! Bit late but what the heck...pray for Sept/Oct goodness. :D 

Edited by Avocet
  • Like 1