Best place to get coco coir?

Alskae

Just now, blerie420 said:

sterilisation mate

is there generally a higher chance/any horror stories of getting infestations with that type of coco?

mystic

B&M sometimes have blocks with perlite in as well. Wilko and Poundland are the cheapest for plain coco coir though.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mysticriver said:

this is interesting, as I currently buy (2) 50L bags of canna coco pro +, at ~£19 a bag

& before I plant anything I buffer it ta fcuk with calmag...

so for the 100L/2 bags of canna coco I buy, would I need 2.5 40L wilko blocks? and just buffer that like the canna?

would that be enough to replace the 2 bags?

mystic

Dunno man, I just use it as a soil amendment. Gives a lighter, fluffier potting or planting mix. I don't grow in straight coco coir.

Edited by Crow River
  • Like 2

@mysticriver nah it tends to be much more manageable than regular soil but there's always a chance. Just a safe than sorry thing on my part

Edited by blerie420
Dupe
  • Like 2

21 hours ago, blerie420 said:

Just a safe than sorry thing on my part

does boiling water kill all the eggs n larvae (if there's any)

mystic

• Like 1

@mysticriver I couldn't say with 100 percent certainty, any advice I give is anecdotal at best.

Its certainly made a difference as far as I can tell, why it has though I couldn't be sure. It's the only extra thing I've done in terms of pest management

• Like 1

The coco bricks are nowhere as good as buying bags of coco plus they hold a lot of sodium. You need to prepare it properly first load it with magn/cal . Search dr mj coco preparing coco and watch his stuff.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Devon Cream said:

The coco bricks are nowhere as good as buying bags of coco plus they hold a lot of sodium. You need to prepare it properly first load it with magn/cal . Search dr mj coco preparing coco and watch his stuff.

Think it depends on your purpose really if I was doing indoor I wouldn't bother getting the bricks and settle for a pre mixed bag. I need it for outdoors so it's convenient in that it comes as a compressed brick, easy to carry multiple blocks in a backpack whereas don't even think I'd fit a 50L bag of premixed coco in my bag.

• Like 2

Will vouch for the 40L wilko ones bloody lovely stuff used it last year and got a load soaked at plot for the pot fill.

• Like 2

Around Feb/March do a click and collect or pay 5 pound for delivery wilkos you can order as many as you like whats in stock when I ordered there was 20+

Just now, B-real said:

Around Feb/March do a click and collect or pay 5 pound for delivery wilkos you can order as many as you like whats in stock when I ordered there was 20+

Same here if u sign up to the email list you usually get an offer at some point to use. 
Seems it’s out of stock nationwide apart from what’s left in some stores. My nearest in stock is 20miles away. 

19 hours ago, Devon Cream said:

You need to prepare it properly first load it with magn/cal

yes I do this anyway with the canna - a strong EC calmag soak overnight seems to prepare it OK for my grow style 

mystic

18 hours ago, Alskae said:

if I was doing indoor I wouldn't bother getting the bricks and settle for a pre mixed bag.

I think im gonna stick with the canna

its 4X the price of the bricks but, well I wouldn't be able to do the boiling water thing properly

mystic

• Like 2

@mysticriver My bad I thought I'd posted my tek on what I do.

I stick a brick in an old pillowcase and flush through that till the water is clear then rest it in the shower basin. Never had a problem with clogging as it all stays in the bag

• Like 3

My last grow or two were in Poundland coco (and 20 year old Canna A+B!) - they did well considering the enviro was basically hell.

I rinsed it all because I didn't have an EC/PPM meter then. Also added some Mag (I figured our water was so hard there that no Cal required).

This time I went for the Canna Pro Plus bags and TBH I think it's worth it if you can't be arsed to have to prep it yourself. Back then, I was rich in time not money.

Edited by iShouldCoCo
  • Like 4