Best place to get coco coir?

Alskae

Hi not sure if this is right place to post this but anyone know any places that sell cheap coco coir. Wilko had a good deal at 40L for £4 grabbed a few blocks of that a couple of weeks ago but they have been out of stock for a while now, everywhere else I'm looking they're charging stupid prices for it so if anyone knows any websites that do it cheap be much appreciated :yep:

• Like 1

Wilko has the best prices. Homebase a bit pricier, but not too bad. 

You can get Wilko to e-mail you when the 40l blocks are back in stock, but you need to be quick, they sell out fast! :)

• Like 1

23 hours ago, blerie420 said:

Poundland coco is the bollocks and they rarely completely run out. 10L for a quid 

I just got 4 from Poundland and dropped some seeds into a 50/50 coco/compost mix. Glad to hear a good review 

• Like 5

23 hours ago, blerie420 said:

Poundland coco is the bollocks and they rarely completely run out. 10L for a quid 

Aint been able to get it in my local store the last few weeks.

Good job i'd bought a box over the previous week.

Still need 50L or so. 

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, CheechChongReturns said:

Aint been able to get it in my local store the last few weeks.

Good job i'd bought a box over the previous week.

Still need 50L or so. 

Homebase do 20l blocks for £3. I bought some when Wilko were out. Did click and collect to save delivery, you can order online and they'll deliver to your local store if no stock there (none at mine). 

• Like 1

Just now, Crow River said:

Homebase do 20l blocks for £3. I bought some when Wilko were out. Did click and collect to save delivery, you can order online and they'll deliver to your local store if no stock there (none at mine). 

Homebase is miles away from me. Wilkos is always out round here. Literally ,all the indoor crew know the exact time the delivery driver comes. Swear they wait at the delivery bays . lol 

I like the poundland ones , I got a bag that fit 16 snug , like it was made for them.

• Like 4

Just now, CheechChongReturns said:

Homebase is miles away from me. Wilkos is always out round here. Literally ,all the indoor crew know the exact time the delivery driver comes. Swear they wait at the delivery bays . lol 

I like the poundland ones , I got a bag that fit 16 snug , like it was made for them.

Both Wilkos and Homebase are miles from me too. Wilko delivery charge is cheaper though, hence click and collect for Homebase: couple of trips on the bike, no bother. Also when I bought from Homebase they had 20% off all soil and compost, luckily.

I didn't spy any coco in Poundland last visit, will have a look. They sometimes have it in Poundstretchers. I have bought at end of season (discounted) from Morrisons too.

• Like 2

@Crow River TBH i'll probably be ok. I got about 300L on the plots and might just have to move some over. I don't need to do much to the plot from last year and probably have more than i need . But I might do some more Autos and use it up. I got stacks of them black flower buckets from morrisons for free . Just go there early , before 8:30am

Theyre great for bottomless pots

Edited by CheechChongReturns
  • Like 1

On 30/04/2023 at 7:31 PM, Crow River said:

40l blocks

this is interesting, as I currently buy (2) 50L bags of canna coco pro +, at ~£19 a bag

& before I plant anything I buffer it ta fcuk with calmag...

so for the 100L/2 bags of canna coco I buy, would I need 2.5 40L wilko blocks? and just buffer that like the canna?

would that be enough to replace the 2 bags?

mystic

• Like 2

On 30/04/2023 at 9:42 PM, blerie420 said:

Poundland coco is the bollocks

can I ask you the same as above bro

so for the 100L I get from canna I need 10 x 10L Poundland blocks?

mystic

Edited by mysticriver
  • Like 1

@mysticriver course ya can ask!

Their blocks are decent quality, I find I get about a 5% loss once hydrated ( all the dust etc draining out) so you're talking 38-39L of the good stuff per bag. Negligible really.

I generally flush with hot water and rest it for a day or so, then buffer as normal. That's optional, I'm just pedantic lol

• Like 4

So effectively, get 3, hydrate and buffer it all, get your 100 you need and use the rest to top up if and when necessary.

I find the cheap stuff doesn't... compact isn't the right word really, like harden? In that it retains its uniformity.

Don't be put off by the reddish tinge as well, I think that's due to not being aged as much, but that'll be why it's cheaper I guess

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, blerie420 said:

generally flush with hot water and rest it for a day or so

what does that do?

need to find a flat-ready/bath-ready way of hydrating the stuff (so im not blocking the drain with any coco matter/lumpy drain-off. no back garden. currently do the buffering in the bathtub. any ideas?

mystic

p.s. ive got wilkos' pound stretcher Poundland n all manner of pound shops round 'ere. not forgetting B&M..

Edited by mysticriver
  • Like 2