Is this Calmag def ?

bigbawz66

Just now, mikeydoughnut said:

it’d piss me off that it didn’t cure the deficit.

i've had years, probably five or six or maybe more, of trying to find a one shot feed or my water softness, i have had numerous people here try to help and some taking the piss, and GA was the last lot i tried, and i was pretty pissed for a while, especially when someone is accusing you of doing something wrong lol

i do like GA, and as long as i use some cal/mag it's doing a grand job. i just bought another 5 litres of grow and bloom because i can't be fucking arsed messing with my schedule again, it's dialled in as good as i have ever had it now, and it's staying that way!

• Like 1

I use G. A now and add half a teaspoon of Epsom salts to 1.5 litres when watering and started ph- ing my water and things have improved a lot. I also use palm ashes as a flower booster applied every 2 weeks in flower.

• Like 3

I’m using powdered stuff @ratdog and it’s taking  a bit of getting me head around it. They provide a schedule but when I’ve been mixing a proper mix for established plants my EC is like .4 under what it ‘should’ be according to the chart. I’m still guessing for the flowering plants. The babies are simple enough. But switching over after 6 weeks of flower has been a cunt. GA is probably the best feed I’ve used too. I was pricing up 5L bottles t’other day. Might go creeping back to them to be honest. 

• Like 2

Just now, mikeydoughnut said:

I’m using powdered stuff

i bought some chempak (no 2 and no 8) after someone here recommended, but i think i'll have a crack in the greenhouse with the veggies first before killing the indoor plants

• Like 1

@ratdog Wise move. I was just being a skinflint. I had like £30 to my name and had to do summat. If I can I’ll definitely go back to bottled feed. Maybe keep a pouch or two of powdered as a fall back. I don’t think I’ve ever encountered anyone with a gripe to do with GA feed. It’s a no brainer really.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, mikeydoughnut said:

Hungry. 

I thought soft water feed was meant to deal with cal:mag deficit, otherwise, what’s the point in it?! 

My tap water and Dutch pro soft water nutrients are partnership made in heaven 

• Like 2

14 hours ago, The Green Manalishi said:

My tap water and Dutch pro soft water nutrients are partnership made in heaven 

What’s your tap water ec mate ? 

@bigbawz66My tap water is usually 0.0 - 0.1 my water report mentioned no noticeable amount of magnesium and a baw hair of calcium, very soft water

• Like 1

So I’ve buffered my coco , quick question tho. After buffering it, I watered the pots to run off , measured the run off and it’s a bit strong. 1.7ec. Should I keep running water through until run off ec  is same as in flow ,  which is 0.1 from the tap. Or would doing this rinse out all the Calmag that I’ve just buffered it with. Apologies if I sound a bit thick, suppose I am when it comes to coco. :wallbash:
thanks for looking. 

Edited by bigbawz66

• 2 weeks later...

Never run plain water through your coco, keep feeding with your desired ec until your run off matches . You might need to do this multiple times a day though, it will come down, that’s why you go to keep that coco moist, if it means feeding a plant multiple times a day 

• Like 2

On 17/04/2023 at 4:43 PM, bigbawz66 said:

Apologies if I sound a bit thick

nah bro I think I know what your asking here -

after you have buffered the coco with a high-EC calmag, 'YES' you want to run plain water through it before you plant anything

it may seem counter-intuitive at first, after all you have soaked it in calmag & you think your washing it all away

but yes, I run tap water through until there is just plain water coming out of the bottom of the pots (about 90 seconds)

its safe to do, because you have got the effect you did the buffering for - getting the coco the do its 'cation exchange' of what coco does to the calcium & magnesium, so its done all that, when you wash it through the coco will still hang on to the Ca & Mg elements, so it won't do it when you fertigate your plants (up to the strength you buffered it to - always buffer higher than the strength you'll feed at)

hope this helps

mystic

• Like 1

On 30/04/2023 at 11:45 AM, mysticriver said:

nah bro I think I know what your asking here -

after you have buffered the coco with a high-EC calmag, 'YES' you want to run plain water through it before you plant anything

it may seem counter-intuitive at first, after all you have soaked it in calmag & you think your washing it all away

but yes, I run tap water through until there is just plain water coming out of the bottom of the pots (about 90 seconds)

its safe to do, because you have got the effect you did the buffering for - getting the coco the do its 'cation exchange' of what coco does to the calcium & magnesium, so its done all that, when you wash it through the coco will still hang on to the Ca & Mg elements, so it won't do it when you fertigate your plants (up to the strength you buffered it to - always buffer higher than the strength you'll feed at)

hope this helps

mystic

Thanks brother, that all,I needed to know. Had it in my head that running tap,water through would cancel,out my Calmag buffering. 

• Like 1