OT1 Haze Indoors

Cajafiesta

Just now, Cajafiesta said:

Can you clarify “those making them?”  Are you referencing folks that are native to wherever it came from, or is the “those making them” something like BOEL dudes? 

The latter, he also mentioned a group called "Theatre of pain" or something to that effect. I am due to go through our PMs and back up stuff before the server update (even though I know its all backed up on the 420 backups anyway) so I'll try and find what I can but honestly most of it was/is already available on the cannabase.

Ot1 used to run a social housing thing in London during the 60s n 70s, and would put up travellers from the US on their way to Asia and the hippie trail etc which is where Ot1 met alot of people associated with Timothy Leary, Boel, the theatre of pain etc. (or was it world threatre?), they'd bring him stuff from the states on the way there and stuff from the contininent on the way back... and he stayed in touch with some, he gave them genetics also - which is where his statement that genetics he contributed went into the development of Haze and Skunk comes from. Very different than what BlueLiesVienna claims. Its funny cos most of what he thinks is "skunk" in "his" lines isn't actually skunk at all lol  lol anyway I digress.

Basically all of modern cannabis genetics is based off what SamS took to Holland, and all of that came from (what I speculate) was the BOEL domestication effort - cos its easier to grow it at home than smuggle it in. The same source that Ot1s genetics came from, with a difference in that, it only represented a small part of his genetic resource and that alot of his stock came from point of origin.

• Like 15

@GSZZ 

Good details. Much appreciated.

Ive heard the story of the housing deal in London. I must have read it in Joolz post some time back. I’ve read most of what I could find from OT1s writings. Or at least the portions that seem to “tell how and what happened” with regard to strain development. 

I also recall writings about his contribution to work being done in the US, but I didn’t really

make a connection that 1) these genetics could have been part of that 2) those contributions very well may have came to be “skunk” and “haze.” I do recall clearly OT writing that his skunk wasn’t like what people would call skunk in post-Holland world. 

I’d love to know other stuff. ES and ESB for example. I’ve long thought that ESB was (Nigerian x His Skunk) x “non dominant”Blueberry. (Curious about the blueberry, too. Seems like he used it as a tool for growth attributes but maybe not so much to get the “blueberry” flavor/smell into the cross) 

But recently, I can’t recall where, I think I read that ES was actually (Nigerian x Kenyan) x Skunk. If that’s the case, I suppose there’s Kenyan in ESB that I never acknowledged. 

It makes me wish there was a flowchart of his work. Just for the sake of curiosity. 

It just strikes me as a bit of a downer that someone’s significant contributions to this “industry” sorta have to be speculated about, to some degree. I suppose the flip side of that argument is, if he wished for all of his work to be dissected and known in detail, he may have provided hat information to everyone. 

E2A fuck that BSV dude. I’ve listened to him for about 3 mins on a podcast. I can’t even listen to him. He just sounds like a blowhard. No use for that 

Edited by Cajafiesta
  • Like 7

Just now, Cajafiesta said:

if he wished for all of his work to be dissected and known in detail, he may have provided hat information to everyone. 

Because he wanted us to judge it on what it did, not on its heritage. We're all guilty of that lol

large.oldtimer1PM.jpg

I've blacked out or cropped out anything that isn't related to what we're discussing.

large.ot12004.jpg

• Like 12

@GSZZ cool, good stuff to read. Thanks for that!  

I like OTs commentary on field grown SoCal haze.   Interestingly, I’ve seen (and have a hybrid male that has it in it) 1968 Santa Cruz Haze. Not quite what I’d call SoCal, but definitely not up north around humboldt area and definitely in line with the timeline and area OT describes. 

I suppose, at this point, I’ll just finish these plants, give them a proper cure and smoke the damn things. I’ve held a male from the 4 plants I cracked. 

also funny enough- on a really small sample, I saw exactly 25% males, as described by OT. Go figure, eh? 

What they do matters more than anything else, anyhow. That approach certainly lines up with judging on what it does, not what it is. 

Thanks for the details, man!

• Like 5

You know what they say.  A photo in the forum is better than three birds that live in a bush...or whatever the saying is.

Anyhow, here are some photos.  This is today.  Forgive the quality.  A photographer I am not.

as of today, they are on week 21.   This Saturday will be 22 weeks of flower.

Yes.  22 weeks.  And this is the status of pistil color at this point.

large.IMG_8961.jpg

large.IMG_8957.jpg

They are definitely making more resin heads now that I've knocked the light length down.

This is a poor photo of one plant.  This is today.  I cut the tops out of these as they were WAY past the light, and watering/feeding was tricky.  I elected to eliminate some of the plant to ease watering and feeding as well as make them a little easier to handle/move around.  So they've had 2ft of height cut out of them.  They stand up to my neck now.  I'm 6ft, so they're something like 5ft tall now....after 2 ft was cut out of them.

large.IMG_8962.jpg

Folks, that's 6.5-7ft tall plants, indoors, in a tent, in 3/4 (0.75) gallon pots up to about 2 months ago.  They made all their height in 3/4 gallon pots.  Wrap your noggins around that. That's some wild shit!!!

As stated, they were started under 11 hours light and stayed there until about 3 weeks ago.  I talked with some folks and surmised that they were bolting, or something similar.  So I knocked the light down to 9-10 hours.  They are just now starting to "ripen" and brown some pistils off.  I think you can probably make some assessments ( or someone smart enough could, anyhow) about origin location based on this. Maybe, anyhow. 

I can say with some degree of confidence that I don't see Thai or Mexicans going past week 20 at 11 hours and basically saying "fuck you" to the idea of the flower cycle winding down.  These things, under 12 hours, wouldn't even initiate flower, I don't think.  They were slow to initiate at 11 hours and had NO CHANCE of finishing.  If they stayed under 11 hours, I believe they would just continue doing the "bolting" thing, putting on more height with weird, spaced out calyxes etc.

There's no chance I could finish these outdoors at my latitude, and Ive ran multiple Indian Sativas as well as African Congo plants outdoors, and they finished.  NO SHOT this would finish for me outside here.  No chance in hell.  Longest flowering plants I've ever personally interacted with.  Even without my lack of anticipation regarding needing to knock light hours down..these would have for certain gone 19-20 weeks.  That lines up 100% with the reports I got from AKBB and Dr. Feelgood. I was warned " some will go 20+ weeks" and it was 100% accurate.  I ran a fair bit of clean sativas outdoors last year.  Enough to where I feel like I have some sort of assesment ability to guess how big a plant will go outdoors if I see it indoors.  I'm 100% confident these plants would go over 18ft in good dirt, outside. totally confident of that and I'm inclined to believe it would go more like 20ft if given the chance.

I'll say it again.  Longest flowering plants I've ever personally seen.

@GSZZ photos for your viewing pleasure

Edited by Cajafiesta
  • Like 11

@Cajafiesta not sure if you've had a chance to check them out, but the manipuri at real seeds have been reported as impossible to finish indoors. They won't even start flowering for some under artificial lights.

Also, the red snake I got given came in two batches- a segregated 10 week mother lot and a mix that included 22+ week mums. The Colombian phenos can definitely go a very long time so I suspect the shortened time on other lines are down to selection and reworking for indoors over the years. My red snake lot was an unofficial prerelease so was less worked and indoor friendly as a result.

Just in case you really want more impossible plants :chains:

• Like 2

1 hour ago, JockBudman said:

@Cajafiesta not sure if you've had a chance to check them out, but the manipuri at real seeds have been reported as impossible to finish indoors. They won't even start flowering for some under artificial lights.

Also, the red snake I got given came in two batches- a segregated 10 week mother lot and a mix that included 22+ week mums. The Colombian phenos can definitely go a very long time so I suspect the shortened time on other lines are down to selection and reworking for indoors over the years. My red snake lot was an unofficial prerelease so was less worked and indoor friendly as a result.

Just in case you really want more impossible plants :chains:

I used a impossible to finish skunk throw back to make my auto SHD auto sativa line. The plant just keeped throwing new calyx. Buds would end up huge with a real racy high. I don't have a pure line of OT1 haze but I have a few crosses to other hazes. I try to only grow long flowering sativa indoor when I have staggered indoor grows so I can just move them to another room to finish & sometimes end up with a 8hr light sycle to try & finish them. Colombian strains sativas have always thrown a few that didn't finish without reducing light times to dial them in. The way the electric prices are shooting up only having a 8hr light sycle could be a good thing.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, JockBudman said:

not sure if you've had a chance to check them out, but the manipuri at real seeds

I grew them outdoors at 32n lat last year. They didn’t even attempt to finish at my latitude. 

ukhural Naga (spelling?) and Manipuri didn’t work out too well for me. RSC Rasoli grew excellent at my latitude. Went purple and made bright pink pistils. Definitely “Sativa” smoke once it got some length of cure on it, but nothing really notable, to me. Very pretty, HUGE plants with a little variation between the 3-4 females I had. I think rasoli would be a good one to cross to another big Sativa for my local area outdoors. It might knock flower time down a little. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Cajafiesta said:

Longest flowering plants I've ever personally seen.

Great work.:yep:

• Like 1

On 18/05/2023 at 3:59 PM, JockBudman said:

I thought they were an old seedsman line

Seedsman is/was sams haze.

• Like 1

Thanks for the reply back cajafeista. I know that ot1 did send some seeds out to people himself in the hopes they would preserve them, so maybe doc ended up with some.The line sam has and ot1s are different. Nevil got his from sam four days after he arrived in holland.  I remember ot1 originally used to call his a unknown sativa similar to haze. It was later others started to call it haze as in haze. But its fairly obvious someone was doing some serious breeding in and around those communes. Wish more people were growing and preserving more sativas. Got a few devestatingly potent ones myself but they take long and I wish I could do more and get more as I always run out.

• Like 3

On 18/05/2023 at 7:07 PM, Cajafiesta said:

@GSZZ cool, good stuff to read. Thanks for that!  

I like OTs commentary on field grown SoCal haze.   Interestingly, I’ve seen (and have a hybrid male that has it in it) 1968 Santa Cruz Haze. Not quite what I’d call SoCal, but definitely not up north around humboldt area and definitely in line with the timeline and area OT describes. 

I suppose, at this point, I’ll just finish these plants, give them a proper cure and smoke the damn things. I’ve held a male from the 4 plants I cracked. 

also funny enough- on a really small sample, I saw exactly 25% males, as described by OT. Go figure, eh? 

What they do matters more than anything else, anyhow. That approach certainly lines up with judging on what it does, not what it is. 

Thanks for the details, man!

That what there calling 68santa cruz ohz is bco haze from ot1. People do silly name games like that and it muddies the waters. They should just call it what it is ot1hz.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Hey-yo said:

Wish more people were growing and preserving more sativas. Got a few devestatingly potent ones myself

Maybe consider getting  them in the hands of people that are either willing to push through the hassle of growing them indoors, or get them to people in climates that will support them.  We can’t continue and preserve them if they’re in your freezer :yep:   Send them in for sub beans! 

There will be more old genetics trickling in over this year from me, at a minimum.  

I’m not the only glutton for punishment on here that will grow them indoors, and I can think of about 4 people in the US off the top of my head that would treat something like that with integrity. There are probably 1000 more that I don’t know. 

Edited by Cajafiesta
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Cajafiesta said:

Maybe consider getting  them in the hands of people that are either willing to push through the hassle of growing them indoors, or get them to people in climates that will support them.  We can’t continue and preserve them if they’re in your freezer :yep:   Send them in for sub beans! 

There will be more old genetics trickling in over this year from me, at a minimum.  

I’m not the only glutton for punishment on here that will grow them indoors, and I can think of about 4 people in the US off the top of my head that would treat something like that with integrity. There are probably 1000 more that I don’t know. 

All I grow are sativas myself (,i think I only have 2 indicas backed up),you get used to the long flowering times. And I try to just have a few going into flower and a few finishing constantly. Find its easier like that and getts around the long waiting times.

Preliminary smoke report.  It's probably worth considering that I'm sick with some sort of virus or something, so that my be coloring my perception of the dope. 

I'm considering chopping these three females this weekend.  I'd say probably 15-20% of pistils are browned out at 22 or 23 weeks now.   Time to be done with this cycle. 

So, you know, I wacked a little branch off to try.  I dried it in the ambient air for a day and then got impatient and stuck it in the oven to dry at 150f/65.5c.  So, you know, obviously not ideal.  Dont act like some of y'all dont do it, too.  I'm impatient. lol

Anyhow, smoked a joint that was somewhere around 3/4 of a gram.  I'm all kinda wacky feeling.  Very racy, up, active, fidgety sorta high. My eyes feel like they're vibrating.  I feel pretty twitchy in general.  I feel like, if someone were to have a conversation with me, they might speculate I was on a little bit of blow. 

If I'm smoking Indica, I generally dont wanna be around people.  It slows me down, and talking/interacting with folks seems like a huge chore.  This stuff, I don't think that's the case. If I ran into my neighbor or something right now, I don't think I'd have any reservations about going straight into a conversation. Definitely "run on at the mouth-y" weed, in this case.  I'm sure this will change over the course of real drying and curing. 

The plant I tried was the female out of the three that made the most trichomes. 

Definitely full on sativa, definitely racy.  Maybe a little like drinking way too many redbulls at once. 

Cool stuff.  Will report back more as it dries and cures. 

• Like 6