OT1 Haze Indoors

Cajafiesta

Sup folks.

This is sort of a spinoff from a diary I have going at the moment ( incoming update for that thread soon).  @Dr feelgood suggested, and I agree, that some of y'all may find this interesting as it's not what I'd call "very common" for folks to do this.  Especially indoors.

I figure there's bound to be some people here that haven't seen what I call a "clean sativa."  That's just a made up term I use to note a plant that seems, physically and effect wise, as if it hasn't been crossed to what common convention calls an "indica."

This is OT1 Haze that, as I'm told, predates ACE getting their hands on it.  This is one of three females I have in a tent at the moment. 

Figured it would be neat, potentially, for some folks to get to see one.  live and direct. 

This plant is something like 5ft tall and is in a pot that works out to be about 3/4 of a gallon.  Seed was started in 11/13 light and has lived there its whole life.   Week 13 or so of flower.  I suspect this will go to 20 weeks.

I've heard stories about this Haze.  Best I can tell, it's likely Colombian.  I don't know that there's anything else in the mix as you'd expect with an older Haze. I've heard no mention of any other (thai, indian, mexican etc) genetics in it.  The three females I have are identical in height and characteristics. I'm told, on good authority from good breeders/growers, that you can expect to find all various hues of plants in this seed stock, if you look through enough.  I'm told there are phenos that will go purple ( Hendrix begins to play in the background lol) on maturity.  Neat.

Anyhow, here's a photo of a super tall, thin, lanky, floppy, loose OT1 Haze.  A "clean sativa" by my terminology.

These things are a real challenge indoors.  You have to choke the root ball down to an absurdly small size to manage stretch.  I'm confident these plants would go 18ft outdoors easily.  So in choking that root ball WAY down, you end up with a very small pot.  It's a real challenge for me, someone who is a chronic underfeeder anyway, to keep these things anywhere near happy.  They are pretty hungry at the moment, but it's difficult to feed them enough without burning them.

Anyhow,  I present old ass OT1 Haze

large.64203d6d3a659_ot1haze.jpg

Excuse the mess.   Don't talk shit about my Crocs.  If you ain't Crocin', you aint rockin'!

e2a:  OH!  the reason I pulled this out of the tent was to hit one branch with some frozen pollen from my Deep Chunk male that makes resin.  That pollen was my first shot and freezing and storing pollen, so unsure if it's actually viable.   But maybe it is.  If it is, we'll have "OLD CHUNK" to play with in the coming months.

Edited by Cajafiesta
  • Like 25

I've got crocs and croc flip-flops lol 

She's a skinny spindly thing, isn't she. It'll be interesting to see the bud structure when she's done. Aren't the hazes supposed to grow kinda airy fluffy buds? 

And the effect, surely that'll be somewhat different to today's hybrids. I don't really know what I'm talking about, I just smoked a huge banger lol I like your girl :D 

Shame you haven't got a male to coax some pollen from :wassnnme: 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Gaijin said:

I've got crocs and croc flip-flops lol 

She's a skinny spindly thing, isn't she. It'll be interesting to see the bud structure when she's done. Aren't the hazes supposed to grow kinda airy fluffy buds? 

And the effect, surely that'll be somewhat different to today's hybrids. I don't really know what I'm talking about, I just smoked a huge banger lol I like your girl :D 

Shame you haven't got a male to coax some pollen from :wassnnme: 

I bought some croc lace up shoes.  Horrible pieces of shit.  Crock foam material is awesome in crocs.  Total shit in lace up shoes lol

"Kinda" isn't quite the correct word.   "full on" is more like it.  I can't speak directly to OT1 Haze, as this is my first dive into it.  But every other "clean" sativa I've grown indeed does it.   A Quart mason jar of sativas seems to be around 1/2-3/4 ounce.   When I grow hybrids indoors, its about 1 ounce to a quart jar.  Street weed is about 2oz to a quart jar due to being compressed and dried out over time.

I have a male OT1H revegged, holding in veg.  I also have about 30 more seeds.   I don't have plans to open pollinate it at the moment and, in my opinion, that is the only acceptable, respectful way to increase it.  Me personally, I will not make continuations based on one male-one female.   I want it to stay exactly as it has been preserved until it gets to whoever wants to use it for what it is intended to be used for-  further investigation and breeding.  So a big inbred, open pollination is the only way I'll do it.  That's a big undertaking indoors with what space I have, and I doubt very seriously I can get them to finish outdoors at my latitude.  So open pollination will have to be done indoors. Ideally, you'd have a room with 10ft ceilings to do that.  Space aside, it would be a very real a 7-8 month commitment from seed-to-next gen seed.  BIG undertaking that I'm not interested in dealing with right now.

Shame I'm not more equatorial, I'd plant out some and let them do whatever they wanted in an isolated area outside.  But I ain't in Miami, so that isn't gonna happen for me in the US.

I'll increase them eventually.  Until then, there are other humans that have this same seed stock.  Who knows, maybe some will pop up your side of the pond.  I know it lives there, without question.

e2a: spelling

Edited by Cajafiesta
  • Like 7

Open pollination makes sense, yes. I hadn't thought at all about the space needed to do something like that. Or the time required :doh: 

Gives one an extra bit of respect for those that produce the subbies, even with shorter flowering strains. 

I look forward to seeing how she grows from here on out. All the best mate :) 

• Like 3

good things are worth waiting for and do come in small packages as well ...:george:

Jamaican sensi was a small plant..... with little wee buds.

The first time I saw it, I wasn't impressed :huh:

until .

well...I smoked it...

SAWEEET RED HAIRED SENSI   best in the world it be.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
On 26/03/2023 at 1:55 PM, Cajafiesta said:

Sup folks.

This is sort of a spinoff from a diary I have going at the moment ( incoming update for that thread soon).  @Dr feelgood suggested, and I agree, that some of y'all may find this interesting as it's not what I'd call "very common" for folks to do this.  Especially indoors.

I figure there's bound to be some people here that haven't seen what I call a "clean sativa."  That's just a made up term I use to note a plant that seems, physically and effect wise, as if it hasn't been crossed to what common convention calls an "indica."

This is OT1 Haze that, as I'm told, predates ACE getting their hands on it.  This is one of three females I have in a tent at the moment. 

Figured it would be neat, potentially, for some folks to get to see one.  live and direct. 

This plant is something like 5ft tall and is in a pot that works out to be about 3/4 of a gallon.  Seed was started in 11/13 light and has lived there its whole life.   Week 13 or so of flower.  I suspect this will go to 20 weeks.

I've heard stories about this Haze.  Best I can tell, it's likely Colombian.  I don't know that there's anything else in the mix as you'd expect with an older Haze. I've heard no mention of any other (thai, indian, mexican etc) genetics in it.  The three females I have are identical in height and characteristics. I'm told, on good authority from good breeders/growers, that you can expect to find all various hues of plants in this seed stock, if you look through enough.  I'm told there are phenos that will go purple ( Hendrix begins to play in the background lol) on maturity.  Neat.

Anyhow, here's a photo of a super tall, thin, lanky, floppy, loose OT1 Haze.  A "clean sativa" by my terminology.

These things are a real challenge indoors.  You have to choke the root ball down to an absurdly small size to manage stretch.  I'm confident these plants would go 18ft outdoors easily.  So in choking that root ball WAY down, you end up with a very small pot.  It's a real challenge for me, someone who is a chronic underfeeder anyway, to keep these things anywhere near happy.  They are pretty hungry at the moment, but it's difficult to feed them enough without burning them.

Anyhow,  I present old ass OT1 Haze

large.64203d6d3a659_ot1haze.jpg

Excuse the mess.   Don't talk shit about my Crocs.  If you ain't Crocin', you aint rockin'!

e2a:  OH!  the reason I pulled this out of the tent was to hit one branch with some frozen pollen from my Deep Chunk male that makes resin.  That pollen was my first shot and freezing and storing pollen, so unsure if it's actually viable.   But maybe it is.  If it is, we'll have "OLD CHUNK" to play with in the coming months.

Hello cajaFiesta. Lovely plant. It says in your post that you have ot1 haze from before ace got it. Can you just clarify were you got your ot1 haze from please. I know bodi, costal seeds and bco used to sometimes claim something similar, but they got theirs via quejo highjacking clones and seeds that were given him by ace that he was supposed to pas on to ot1. If yours come from a different source it would nice hearing about it please. Thanks.

• Like 2

@Hey-yo

Long story short, the seed I have came from AKBeanBrains in Alaska. I noticed he had a cross that listed OT1 Haze. We got to talking about OT1 gear. He told me he got his OT1 Haze from our own @Dr feelgood. small world, I thought. I remembered talking to Doc here something like a year ago about his OT1H stock. Funny it ended up in Alaska. 

Anyhow, when AKBB got them, he open pollinated them and then made some crosses. He sent me about 40 seeds from his open pollination as a trade for some ESB I had. 

I talked with Doc, and he confirmed he did send akbb seeds from his old ot1H stock. 

so that’s the source as far back as I have the details. 

I wasn’t there, I can’t verify anything other than what I’ve been told. But I have no reason to doubt either of the folks I dealt with regarding these beans. Both dudes have been straight up and transparent with me —with nothing to gain back from our interactions. I have no reason to doubt the “story” behind them. 

But, you know, obviously—- I wasn’t there. I didn’t get the beans from Ot1’s hands myself. So that’s as detailed of info as I have. 

• Like 6

How did I miss a thread about my favourite strain? Lovely to see someone else taking this on indoors.

I've done about half a dozen of these over the years, including 2 from a pack of ace tropical mix. The other 4 were in an attempted repro that went wrong due to bad soil full of bugs that ate the roots. I've got another pack in the fridge for a repro next year and long term I plan to cross them into the subbies o haze I've got as well.

I flower them straight from seedlings in 2 litre pots, top as soon as they show sex and they still hit close to 4 feet. Easily 6 months from beginning to end but well worth it in terms of effect in my opinion.

I've got some red snake that throws Colombian looking phenos as well but in a more manageable 10-13 week range. Still not comparable to the haze though.

God, I wish I had some on just now but the schedule is already full.

• Like 5

@JockBudman

These were an experience. I germinated them under 11/13. They went 15 weeks and all

pistils were solid white. They started to do what looks like bolting a bit. I cut the top out of them at that point and knocked them down to 9 (or is it 10? I’ll have to look) hours at the suggestion of  Doc and AKBB. They’ve now been under that reduced light for a couple weeks. Pistils are now beginning to brown and resin heads seem to be increasing slightly. These will end up well over 20 weeks. I suspect that would have been shortened if I had reduced light hours a little sooner. AKBB got a couple of them to finish at 15-16 weeks with light knocked way down. 

ive grown a couple real sats from India, Africa, Nepal indoors. 

This strain (OT1 Haze if you’d like to call it that. Or just the old suspected Colombian from OT...whatever) has proven to 100% be the longest flowering plants I’ve ever grown. 

They initially smelled like “sativas.”  I don’t know how to describe it. Vegetal, almost sorta “nutty” in their smell. As pistils are browning and it ripens, one is starting to pick up a slight sweetness in the smell. Very slight sorta thing that’s maybe a little like a green mango?  Or a slightly sour green apple?  Something like that

E2A if the subs O Haze you’re referring to came from Doc, I believe it’s Tom Hill Haze. I grew a couple but didn’t do well with them. My issues for sure. But they seem to be a bit more small in structure. I suspect the subs O Haze from Doc would knock height of them down a bit and likely knock a week or three off flower time of the really long flowering  OT1 Phenos. 

Edited by Cajafiesta
  • Like 3

@Cajafiesta yeah, it was the drfeelgood ones. I thought they were an old seedsman line but I was checking out a few other o haze lines at the time so probably got mixed up.

I've always kept mine on 11/13 and then 10/14 for the final month or so. As you mentioned, the hardest bit is the feeding for sure, same as all pure sativas. I always end up with too much N early on then not enough towards the end. Its hard to get a consistent dose indoors and I suspect they would be much happier in the ground outside.

I think of the "sativa" smell as forest floor, kind of mushroomy and organic. Woody maybe. The zamaldelica is similar but more pronounced. Definitely a low odour line in my experience.

It's the effect I'm interested in though and they're perfect in that regard - dreamy, floaty, happy and high. Long lasting and no crash at the end of it. Perfection. Hope you enjoy her when she's down, I'm very jealous :bong:

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Dreamer420 said:

I’d love a chance at a plant like that one day, hope she works out lovely for you!

Do it. You just gotta commit and try it out. Dot let failure discourage you. It’s just part of learning

1 hour ago, Cajafiesta said:

This strain (OT1 Haze if you’d like to call it that. Or just the old suspected Colombian from OT...whatever) has proven to 100% be the longest flowering plants I’ve ever grown. 

Its pretty well estabishled in my mind that Ot1s "haze" seedstock came direct from those making them - see the RIP ot1 thread and Joolz post. What happened between Ot1 getting his stock, and SamS turning up in Holland and selling stock to Nevile and Positronics (different stock) who knows for sure, but its pretty clear the Thai was added at some point between Ot1s aquisition and SamS turning up in Holland. I think maybe they could represent different steps in its development or different selections from those before them - Ot1 described Hazes development as a community effort and field scale.

• Like 6

@GSZZ I’ll have to look back at the thread you’re mentioning. 

Can you clarify “those making them?”  Are you referencing folks that are native to wherever it came from, or is the “those making them” something like BOEL dudes? 

Ive never grown Thai, but I have grown some from Laos and seen photos of Thai Plants in their native environment. The Thai/Laos I’ve seen strikes me as being slightly more narrow leaf than these plants I have. Not by a lot, but my memory says this OT Sativa is a bit more broad leaf. But that’s just me looking at something. I’m certainly not an expert. And that could all change if they were in the outdoors. My reference point re leaves is indoors. So that’s another significant variable. 

Interesting stuff. I love the old folklore. Although it doesn’t change a lot for me. It could be bleep bloop doohickey weed for all I care, ultimately. I’m growing it because some people thought to hang onto it for a long time, and that has to be for some reason. I wanna experience what’s going on in it first hand. That’s the biggest drive for me.

• Like 4