Micro Stealth Grow - Metal Cabinet

Hashslag

3 hours ago, Hashslag said:

Next up will be attempting to fix light leaks... no mean feat with this cabinet but I do enjoy a challenge.

Black gorilla tape is light proof can come in very handy. 

Glad the velcro is working out for you :hippy:

Edited by MindSoup
  • Like 1

Hiya mate i got one of them lights its pretty good to be fair use it in my veg cab bit smaller headroom than what u have though.

Its running on roughly 30w at moment 20/4 as i got regs in there i want to put outside this year and don't want no boyo's ruining my season. lol

• Like 2

Update...

Lights are in, exhaust fan and filter are all hooked up and running as well - 1 x orange haze berry gum from @brock1 is inside. So far, so good. I'd actually popped the seed a little while ago, I'm not sure how it's going to go because naturally I probably haven't given her the best start in life but nevertheless, I'm going to see it through. I'll get some photos of everything up soon.

One question - my exhaust fan isn't quite as quiet as I'd hoped it would be - understandable as it wasn't particularly expensive but thought I'd take a punt on it. Does anyone have any good methods to hush the fans a bit? I mean it's not terrible, but it's noticeable in my shed as it's usually so quiet out here. It's suspended in some medium density foam, inside a large cardboard tube so I don't really think there's much else I can do really, and I'm sure I can live with it - just wondered if I could improve it is all. Maybe it will quieten a smidge once it's bedded in a bit. It's only been running about an hour so far.

• Like 1

Must feel good to be up and running geez. 

As for the fan it sounds like you've pretty much done what you can, you can get "extraction fan silencers" but they're bulky and not exactly cheap. 

• Like 1

Yeah mate, I'm very pleased overall with how it's gone - I mean, one of my classic traits is unfinished projects, but I've stuck this out and it is now a self contained micro grow unit, which is exactly what I wanted :) If only this fan was silent it'd be perfect, but this may also be a shortcoming of the metal cabinet, perhaps a bit more prone to vibration etc due to the nature of the beast. I've done the best I can, and honestly, I'm quite proud of what I've achieved. Thanks for all your assistance so far as well mate, I do appreciate having you on board for this one.

• Like 2

Yeah mate could be the metal cabinet, maybe you could dream up something to quieten it down a bit, or save up for something even quieter, once the jars are full. 

Good choice on the strain btw, Brock's autos are hardy and the end results are something to behold. 

Edited by MindSoup
  • Like 1

@MindSoup I'm going to see if I can pack anything extra in the negative space between the outer cardboard tube, and the ducting running up through the centre. Maybe some styrofoam or some old fabric (got loads of old t-shirts and stuff I keep for rags.) Might quieten the air flow a little. Whatever I can do, I'll try out! But yes indeed - at some point in the future I'll likely look to see if I can upgrade the fan to something better/quieter. All in good time.

• Like 1

Some pics of the story so far. Still a few light leaks to sort out, and I'm going to chuck a box over the filter until I can find something better to hide it.

large.29e8f27f-22e7-4304-8896-cc5bbb95037f.jpg

The unit as it stands. The filter was a lot bigger than I anticipated, I had wondered if I could fit it inside the cabinet but it's just a chunky bastard.

large.c7ccbf17-6751-4946-b188-347ee573afe0.jpg

A couple of magnets to help keep the door tight and snappy

large.1c387482-5685-46fe-a938-fdcc772f85de.jpg

Light, circulation fan, little plant

large.599739d5-a245-4ffc-9ab8-e9d37e4efcc4.jpg

Magnetic hooks keep the light up, hole for the exhaust visible. Managed to Dremel the hole out with a cutting disc, sparks flew!

large.1c904176-63de-46a9-839f-368f4c5fcf20.jpg

Power supply fixed round the back, more light leaks apparent. I'll get taping up over the next few days.

large.b8c47762-86ce-43b7-8651-2fbb383bc0c0.jpg

The hole

large.6b4dccda-1757-4179-ba4f-1547e3ced8db.jpg

Woolly velcro tape and magnet panels on the door - the velcro does an amazing job of stopping the light leaking.

large.b0d49f8a-c518-406d-a19e-ef20b94e8e3f.jpg

Ducting connected to the filter, running through the larger cardboard tube.

large.93ea4efe-4a12-45a1-9659-506a7a29f2c6.jpg

Medium-density foam fitted to the inside of the tube, and holding the fan in the centre snugly and securely. Real shame I didn't have more of this stuff to line the tube all the way up.

• Like 6

Those magnetic hooks are a cool solution.

Looking nice and tidy mate. Should work well if you keep the buggers strapped down.

Could you not reduce the height of the stove pipe on top by dropping the fan inlet through the hole in the cab and taping or clamping the filter directly to the fan?

A box with the bottom and back cut out to slide over it all should look innocent enough.

The fan and filter lay horizontally on top of my drobe but I have a lot more width and it's up high.

I just stand boxes and a speaker in front of it all but I have considered doing something that encloses it all that looks a bit less like a load of hoarder's junk.

Maybe a nice basket hamper à la chabi chic style.

I look forward to following your adventures in our fun little world of "micro" stealth growing.

ATB

• Like 1

What are you using to seal the ducting to the filter? It doesn't look very air tight and if it isn't it will leak a lot of smell. 

• Like 1

Thanks for your input all.

I have placed a large box over everything on top of the unit for now, looks very innocent indeed. I am thinking about how I could improve the setup though, I wondered if the tall cardboard tube could just be done away with but what I wanted to try and do was dampen the sound from the exhaust as much as I possibly could - that's my thinking behind it anyway. I've packed the empty space in the tube with old t-shirts which has dampened the sound a tiny bit more, not much, but it's something.

Presently I'm using gaffer tape to hold the filter to the ducting - it's secure indeed but I'm probably going to add a jubilee ring to it this evening as well. And maybe some additional aly tape.

There isn't a fresh air inlet in the traditional sense of having some holes drilled in the side or anything - the air is drawn in through the bottom of the unit. Basically, when the base drawer is pulled out, you can see the floor. I'm going to cover that up somehow I think as the light shines onto the floor at the moment, and I'll add ventilation holes at that stage if I need to but it seems to be working as it is for the minute. 

Temperature reading inside is currently just below 28ºc, does that sound about right?

I spend my work day sitting 6 inches away from this cabinet now, and I keep just cracking the door to look at my plant. It's all just too exciting. Zero smells so far, although the plant itself isn't exactly reeking at this point, time will tell :)

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

I'm really enjoying reading this, I'm very interested in microstealth grows.

I have a few metal cabinets myself - will definitely keep your progress in mind when the time comes.

It looks like a gorgeous little set up, hope it brings you great results.

• Like 1