Micro Stealth Grow - Metal Cabinet

Hashslag

Talking about lights.

So within such a small confined space, I'm to'ing and fro'ing between what lights would be a good idea, within my budget which is low. It is what it is, I'll just have to do the best I can.

I was on the cusp of purchasing an LED box (not blurple), dimmable, with a cooling fan in it etc, you know the ones. I can get one that fits nicely in my space. Do they run hot though? I have no experience with any of this so looking to you lot as usual :) If they do tend to run fairly hot, will that be a problem? My other options would be different LED lights, like a quantum-style board or something (but they don't tend to have a dimmer on them unless you've got a slightly higher budget than I do.) Or perhaps CFLs, which run pretty cool and can stand to be closer to the plants and are fairly inexpensive (although may not get the same sort of light output as the LEDs).

I imagine it's possible that any and all will work in some way, of course - but I'd like to hear what you good folk reckon. Cheers :skin_up:

Just Keep saving and buy a half decent quantum board with a dimmer geez, anything else will be a compromise and you'll send up spending twice. 

Things like PayPal credit or Klarna can be a good one for spreading out the cost, should be able to get a crop done before you spend what was your budget and then use the money you would for buying weed to pay the rest off. 

Edited by MindSoup
  • Like 3

10 hours ago, Hashslag said:

have a dimmer

make sure u get 1 with a dimmer

then you can adjust the light to suit what stage of growth ur plant is in [seedling; veg; flower]

& u won't be wasting cash on full-power when u dont even need it

mystic 

• Like 4

Think I've more or less settled on the notion of a Viparspectra P600 LED unit. Reasonably priced, seems to get quite a good rap, looks to be well built and has dimming too - plus it fits almost perfectly in the available area inside the cabinet. Plus I think I can even spread the cost with Paypal across 3 instalments as well, which is great. Hopefully I'll be able to put the order in come payday...

• Like 2

@Goodbloke ah cheers, nice to hear from someone who has one already. Yeah, seems to me to be quite a nice little unit for the money, and also I've been really picky over dimensions of these things and this should fit the bill really nicely. It's a tiny cabinet anyway (28wx41dx66h). The dimmer function will be really useful too, I guess.

Edited by Hashslag
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Hashslag said:

Viparspectra P600

The new models with the leds weighted towards the corners for better spread look pretty good.

I'm contemplating the 200w one for my drobe.

• Like 1

Light arrived :) Fits like a glove, shame about the power cable coming from the top dictating the height, but we work with what we got. Using 4 x strong magnetic hooks to hold it to the ceiling, I've channelled a bit out of the rear panel for the power cable to slot out of as well so I'm very pleased! Next up will be attempting to fix light leaks... no mean feat with this cabinet but I do enjoy a challenge.

large.b7b23a17-a2e9-4e3d-a072-1c103f8c3f09.jpg

• Like 6

You can get a right angled IEC cable which would add another 2cm. Can't you remove the driver at all? Might be worth it if you're good with DIY, that's precious headroom. :guitar:

• Like 4

@Slippy One I don't think I'm up for dismantling the light tbh mate, plus the height of the thing is all integrated with the side panels of the light itself and I'm not confident I wouldn't break the thing. I guess we'll see how it all goes - I'm going to be training to try and keep the plant as low as I can, but we'll see. Might get another kettle lead with a right angle though, that might help a little and I can always fashion some shorter hangers out of cable ties etc at a push.

@MindSoup - mate, I dug out some sticky back velcro tape (Mrs used to work in fashion etc) and ran it down one edge of the removable door - completely blocks any light! Great suggestion. I need to order some more for the other side (the hard/hook part of the velcro doesn't work - only the fluffy side :) )

• Like 1