Micro Stealth Grow - Metal Cabinet

Hashslag

So I began the conversion (whilst I was meant to be working) - so far, so good! The top and bottom 'drawers' are screwed on, the others are just masking taped on for now but I'll bolt them on when I get time. It seems like this silly idea may just work :)

large.e8be00cb-f768-4222-b5f8-e1112e052ab7.jpglarge.8d9854d1-fbdb-470c-be1f-7a81c58ac3fb.jpglarge.7a2deb07-47a2-4994-8dd9-462d7238f7f4.jpglarge.587eb90a-0db5-434c-8667-7cd633e27182.jpg

Edited by Hashslag
  • Like 8

15 minutes ago, MindSoup said:

Stealth AF mate.

lol cheers mate.

I may have overlooked the fact that this unit doesn't actually have a base! I might have to keep the bottom drawer as a drawer, and use that to put the plant on, with the remaining drawers above it acting as the false door. I guess this could be quite useful, as I can simply slide the whole base/plant out of the cabinet if I need to fiddlefart around with it :)

• Like 2

I like that idea, will make it way easier to do any trimming/training that needs doing. 

Edited by MindSoup
  • Like 2

I realised that there was actually no base inside this filing cabinet, which was a problem! So I decided to shorten the false door, and reinstate the bottom drawer to create a base level for the plant to sit. The beauty of this is I will be able to easily slide the whole plant out of the unit for any fiddling I need to do, then just slide it back in again when I'm done. I've done the amendment this evening, and everything fits as it should :) I guess the next proper phase will be starting to collect the necessary items for filtration and lighting etc, although there's some tidying up and taking care of obvious light leaks to sort out in the meantime too.

This is really fun.

large.1ad20eb2-06a7-496b-8161-4fbace7c40ff.jpglarge.ec05a7f5-4ad8-4bc4-bb37-656741e981c5.jpglarge.7a5798cf-4c0a-40cc-b9b7-2600539f7561.jpg

• Like 5

I wonder.... if the extraction takes place at the top, and is pulling air up from the bottom (where the air is cooler), then perhaps I could affix a heat mat to the underside of the drawer to facilitate a warmer air flow? During these shit weather periods it may make a difference possibly. Then when the weather gets stupid in the summer, just turn off the mat to assist with cooling (if it gets too hot).

Keeping the lower drawer is genius, but I can't help but wonder why you wouldn't use up that entire corner of space? And airflow is where wooden cabinets shine, not to mention the ability to screw little hooks anywhere you like for all the bungees, and have you considered what kind of low end vibrations the metal cabinet might make of the various fans you'll need? Will the cabinet have light proof intakes? 

Anyway, good luck getting it all together. I would hope you don't get it all done and think damn, wish it was a tad bigger/squarer. Your call ultimately. :yep:

large.IMG-0239.JPGlarge.IMG-0241.JPG

• Like 1

@Slippy One when you say corner of space, do you mean as in the space next to the cabinet? Well, Ive got a wine cooler just to the right which I can't put anywhere else for starters (and I need access to it), and basically it boils down to me already having this cabinet and wanting something fun to do :) In terms of vibration, no I have no idea what that'll be like, but I'm pretty sure Ill find a way to dampen it if I need to. Where there's a will and all that. I mentioned this earlier on, but stealth goes out of the window if I get a new wooden piece of furniture suddenly pop up out of nowhere - I'm not even telling the mrs about this - if she finds out later on I'll deal with that then, but it's just easier for me to keep it under wraps as much as possible for the time being.

And yeah, I probably will wish for something bigger and better later on down the line, but fuck it - it's a fun project and I'm excited to see what I can achieve from it. If it fails spectacularly, then all I've lost is time, money, and a perfectly good filing cabinet lol 

Oh shiz, not even telling the Mrs? That won't end well, you might as well build a human sized cave for your sex slave for the deception of a loved one. 

Good luck with that. Once the divorce settlement kicks in, maybe then you'll shamefully use a larger cab! :yep:

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Slippy One said:

Oh shiz, not even telling the Mrs? That won't end well, you might as well build a human sized cave for your sex slave for the deception of a loved one. 

Good luck with that. Once the divorce settlement kicks in, maybe then you'll shamefully use a larger cab! :yep:

lollol She'll be alright mate - she's put up with me for 23 years and I put up with enough nonsense from her so its a good balance. I may actually tell her, once it's all built and running, but either way. The way I see it, if nobody knows, then I can't get caught out, and I don't have to force anyone else to keep my secret. The acid test will be whether or not this cab will work as intended! If it works well enough to contain all the smells and whatnot, then happy days. If it doesn't, then I'll have to have a solid rethink about my life choices lol 

@Slippy One

I do have to add though, regarding wooden furniture - I now have this affliction where every piece of furniture I see, I wonder if it could be used as a grow space lol I'm a bit of a mid-century furniture fan, and have collected a few really nice pieces. The latest acquisition is a G Plan Form Five bookcase unit, with a lovely big sliding door cupboard at the base of it. It's about 70cm square, and about 45 deep. It would be a lovely grow space, if it wasn't already being used as the TV unit!

10 hours ago, Hashslag said:

@Slippy One

I do have to add though, regarding wooden furniture - I now have this affliction where every piece of furniture I see, I wonder if it could be used as a grow space lol I'm a bit of a mid-century furniture fan, and have collected a few really nice pieces. The latest acquisition is a G Plan Form Five bookcase unit, with a lovely big sliding door cupboard at the base of it. It's about 70cm square, and about 45 deep. It would be a lovely grow space, if it wasn't already being used as the TV unit!

Looking good mate I would take the runners out for that extra bit of space I think a couple of pc fans would do the trick cut into the back  one blowing in one sucking out 

@Baron von greenback those runners aren't staying in permanently, just until I sort out the magnet blocks etc - for now they help keep the front panel sturdy and straight :)

I was originally thinking pc fans, but I think I'm going to get a small extractor fan, 100mm, as has been recommended. I want to get as good a filtration system as I can afford, basically, and looking around there are some quite good deals to be had. I'd be worried that a pc fan wouldn't quite have the guts to shift all the air well enough, although hat said, I'm totally new to this malarky.

Just now, Hashslag said:

@Baron von greenback those runners aren't staying in permanently, just until I sort out the magnet blocks etc - for now they help keep the front panel sturdy and straight :)

I was originally thinking pc fans, but I think I'm going to get a small extractor fan, 100mm, as has been recommended. I want to get as good a filtration system as I can afford, basically, and looking around there are some quite good deals to be had. I'd be worried that a pc fan wouldn't quite have the guts to shift all the air well enough, although hat said, I'm totally new to this malarky.

Ye mate don't know how much they shift I would think they do the trick for pulling the air in and then a small oscillating fan then like you say a small inline fan and filter for extraction have them outside the cabinet running up the back you won't see them then an led for a light 

Even without the restrictions of light proofing material and a carbon filter pc fans just won't have enough power behind them. 

• Like 1