Cal Mag

Thai Stick

@Thai Stick "Surely there would be unused magnesium sulfate and or calcium sulphite still present all the way through to the end...". In soil, which has lots of cation exchange sites, will hold the nutes until the plants roots locally secrete acid and release them for uptake. It's the operating difference between picking them off the tree as you require, or eat the whole lot in a short time from a wheel barrow.

5 hours ago, thekingofobsolete said:

4 times weekly bach:yes:

Ewe gotta be careful with that extra dose. 

Everybody knows you have to keep it in the 3:1 ratio to stay in balance. 

4:1 might throw things off a bit..... 

• Like 1

On 07/05/2023 at 6:38 AM, catweazle1 said:

Increase the air space in the medium if you want to grow in colder conditions. If you add perlite to 50% or so, I can veg down to 13c and leaves still have turgor in them. My current grow has been between 13-18c in veg. My water is 0.7ec. At two months my plants were about 1m.

If I add 50% perlite would that inhibit my soils ability to buffer itself?? 

got a pal who grows in auto pots and does the 50/50 soil perlite, he still ph’s his water, if he doesn’t he runs into problems pretty quickly, just interested in why as I don’t ph my water but I only use 10% perlite 

2 hours ago, cypo74 said:

If I add 50% perlite would that inhibit my soils ability to buffer itself?? 

got a pal who grows in auto pots and does the 50/50 soil perlite, he still ph’s his water, if he doesn’t he runs into problems pretty quickly, just interested in why as I don’t ph my water but I only use 10% perlite 

If something works for you, I wouldn't break it. Yes, if you remove that much soil, CEC and buffering will be affected, but as far it being a problem, that depends on whether you've calculated for that change with suitable amendments.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, catweazle1 said:

If something works for you, I wouldn't break it. Yes, if you remove that much soil, CEC and buffering will be affected, but as far it being a problem, that depends on whether you've calculated for that change with suitable amendments.

Thanks mate, just interested as I’d like to get a bit more perlite into my mix, but would prefer not to have to adjust my ph in my organic setup 

although less perlite does mean it looks less hot rod when I dispose of it down the dump lol

Edited by cypo74

6 hours ago, cypo74 said:

Thanks mate, just interested as I’d like to get a bit more perlite into my mix, but would prefer not to have to adjust my ph in my organic setup 

although less perlite does mean it looks less hot rod when I dispose of it down the dump lol

I wish I could find something else that is more eco-friendly. I do find when mixing it in the garden the whitness disappears after the while.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, catweazle1 said:

I wish I could find something else that is more eco-friendly. I do find when mixing it in the garden the whitness disappears after the while.

Not sure if you can get your hands on it easily but I use rice husks and it works wonders. 

Plus it's full of silica. 

• Like 3