Cal Mag

Thai Stick

One thing I think is worth noting is that not all cal mag solutions are derived from same thing if I am not mistaken so correct me if I am wrong. 

A nitrite derived solutions will contain nitrogen in it, so take that in to account. 

It always made me wonder whether it was the calcium and magnesium helping to green up yellow looking plants, or the extra nitrogen boost. 

• Like 1

Here's the image I saw that inspired me to make this post in the first place after hearing some people's crazy practices over here with cal mag and all those extra supplements. 

large.FB_IMG_1675280369484.jpg

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Thai Stick said:

Here's the image

calcium and magnesium should be up there with the other major nutrients

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, ratdog said:

The image relates to calmag which is different to your micro nutrients where cal & mg are accounted for. 

Calcium and magnesium are the "transporters" for macro nutes. The magic ratio is based on ion availability. The needs of the plant alter throughout the cycle and as @Thai Stick noted adding calmag will skew other ratios (NPK).

There are many reasons why calmag might work, understanding WHY is the key to learning. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Oldbear said:

why calmag might work, understanding WHY

I got to add calmag because of using RO water - there's nothing in the RO

mystic

2 hours ago, ratdog said:

2 hours ago, mikeydoughnut said:

How is calmag below soil Ph.

My take on the message behind the image from my perspective is that more often than not, Calmag is the go to recommendation as a fix to a plethora of problems yet the real cause of the problem is usually one of the others listed that goes unchecked. 

Thinking one has fixed the problem and celebrating but the root cause to their problem is still left unfixed. 

• Like 1

My water is borked - after a Growers Ark test it was obviously out of whack with a LOT of Mg but not much Ca.  Best £30 I spent on this ahem, "growing" hobby.

Instead of Cal Mag I use Mono Calcium added to every watering to get the 3:1 ratio - sorted my Ca def, leaf spotting etc along with some heat mats for the winter.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Thai Stick said:

My take on the message behind the image from my perspective is that more often than not, Calmag is the go to recommendation as a fix to a plethora of problems yet the real cause of the problem is usually one of the others listed that goes unchecked. 

trust me, if i forgo the cal mag, and many here have tried to help with alternatives, i get shit plants, my water is as soft as a babies arse, it works for me, i'm back using it every water and my plants look quite happy to my amateur eye

and i fully understand "WHY" my cal mag works, it's because i have shitty water lol , i also use it in the greenhouse on toms and peppers, they love it, and it solves many issues that i get without using it, like blossom end rot for one 

taken not 5 mins ago

large.641b3e24e48d5_plantson1.5mlofcalmag.jpg

i get zero side effects from using too much cal or mag, in fact i also added some fortify to the pots at potting up, so they are getting plenty, the only issue i'm seeing is the slightest tip burn from the N in both formulas (although the cal mag i'm using has minimal N compared to say Intense). so this is how it's going to be from now on, as i've wasted several years chasing this bloody issue

3.5 ml of GA grow or bloom soft water nute and cal mag.

• Like 3

I have Hard ish water some plants I give cal mag if they look as though they need it others are fine just going off the plants really nothing set in stone for me.peace Goohfy.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Thai Stick said:

Throw this is there too for good measure. 

large.FB_IMG_1675668924106.jpg

Love the Death Star (Going in watch my tail) ahhh nooo.ha ha peace Goohfy.

Gotta run magne cal pretty much every watering to keep em happy if you don’t add it shit goes south pretty quickly.

• Like 2

On 22/03/2023 at 1:31 PM, Thai Stick said:

Throw this is there too for good measure. 

looks like we should all go zero calcium lol get all those other nutes in there.

What do you see?

• 2 weeks later...
On 24/03/2023 at 2:02 AM, mister phlegm said:

What do you see?

If I'm going to be honest, a bunch of lines and arrows that when put inside a circle suddenly increase my appeared knowledge in the matter tenfold. lol