Tent Size

Caly

4 hours ago, Rhubarb & Flustered said:

50mm is plenty but kingspan is the most expensive option mate.If you used polystyrene you could get 10 for £260 or if you made the cavity 25mm you can get 10 poly for £134.

And what’s the difference in performance, much in it?

On 24/02/2023 at 11:03 PM, Caly said:

And what’s the difference in performance, much in it?

100mm rigid Kingspan or equivalent has a u value of 0.022

100mm of dense foil faced rockwool has a u value of 0.033

I have an outdoor shed/workshop built with a 100mm cavity, then built a 1.4x 2.4 x 2m high room inside existing shed lined with 100mm foil faced Rockwool.

No matter how well you insulate the space, in this cold weather you will be pulling cold air into your grow, dropping the temperature, I intend fitting tube heaters and lowest extraction rate in an attempt to warm the air and raise the temperature.

2 hours ago, Giggles said:

No matter how well you insulate the space, in this cold weather you will be pulling cold air into your grow, dropping the temperature, I intend fitting tube heaters and lowest extraction rate in an attempt to warm the air and raise the temperature.

Best way I've found to avoid that is building an insulated box outside of the tent where the intake is and put an oil rad in. The space must be small enough to allow the rad to heat it, but big enough for his air not to be sucked too fast into the tent. Playing with extraction rate obviously helps too. These times it wasn't too cold, the heat mat didn't even switch on when lights on. Some frosty nights to come these days, but with 12°C in the room, the oil rad's set on 20°C is enough to get 26.5°C lights on and 21.5°C off (heat mat's helping here) so I have some margin. If you plan to grow mostly in a cold space, going bulbs instead of LEDs will help, as doing autos under 24/7 to avoid environment fluctuations.

My space looks like that :

large.IMG_20230216_184505_01.jpg

The oil rad in behind the rigid foam panels, in a box made from the same except for the house side's wall and the tent's side. It's as high the tent with a high hole for the intake. Even made this way with lots of thermal bridges it seems to work fine.  Inside :

large.IMG_20230216_184706_01.jpg

• Like 1