Biobizz coco original mix

Shed-Grower

Hi all,

Merry Christmas to everyone! If your alone and/or struggle with mental health (like me) then I hope your able to find peace today.

I came on here to ask a quick question about the Biobizz original coco mix - the one in the brown bag.

I'm just wondering if I should be washing and buffering before I use it or is this stuff good to use strait from the bag? I cant find any info that confirms this. The only info on the back of the bag says EC 0.2 and PH 6.8.

Any advice is appreciated

Shed Grower

• Like 3

Hear ya mate can’t wait for today to be over bored of talking to the dogs lol used most brands of coco and stayed with the biobiz coco I just pour it straight in the pots and start feeding plant size accordingly.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Black Shadow said:

The numbers on the bag are the values for the coco out the bag

Yeh I get that I was just wondering if I need to buffer it that's all. I've been reading about CalMag deficiencies if you don't buffer the coco and I don't want to start off like that :smokin:

In coco I run canna coco A+B and root stim and magne /cal as soon as they go into coco. Since changed to coco I’ve always done it that way just works 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Devon Cream said:

In coco I run canna coco A+B and root stim and magne /cal as soon as they go into coco. Since changed to coco I’ve always done it that way just works 

This is what I plan on doing. Canna A&B and rhiz. Do u wet your coco the day before and leave it under the light or do you do that as your repotting?

48 minutes ago, Shed-Grower said:

This is what I plan on doing. Canna A&B and rhiz. Do u wet your coco the day before and leave it under the light or do you do that as your repotting?

When I put 1”inch rooted clones in first coco pots just water a little round the stem for few days don’t sodden the pot till you get your roots growing properly . No I don’t wet the coco days before just coco straight out the bag into pots plants go in and off on the ride they go! think a lot of people faff about sometimes at the start I’ve never had any probs. Good luck with it mate happy Xmas:skin_up:

• Like 1

I would pre-soak any coco in a high-EC calmag solution overnight, to help with any deficiencies

do u have problems with deficiencies?

mystic

• Like 2

The crap online doesn’t say it’s been given the calmag treatment. Just that it’s been washed. That’s not to say it hasn’t been. Try emailing them or send a DM on Instagram or summat n ask them. See if you can get an answer before pissing about soaking coco. I’ve started using coco bricks so I know it’s been given the treatment. 
If you want guaranteed out of the bag boss as fuck coco get some Canna Pro. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mysticriver said:

I would pre-soak any coco in a high-EC calmag solution overnight, to help with any deficiencies

do u have problems with deficiencies?

mystic

I don't have a deficiency yet but my water is low EC so I'm expectmtint to need calmag at some point. I'm waiting for my seeds to germinate at the mo but I'm trying to get things ready. If you was to soak your coco with calmag, what sort of EC would you aim for? My water is sometimes 0.2 but most of the time its 0.3 EC

1 hour ago, mikeydoughnut said:

The crap online doesn’t say it’s been given the calmag treatment. Just that it’s been washed. That’s not to say it hasn’t been. Try emailing them or send a DM on Instagram or summat n ask them. See if you can get an answer before pissing about soaking coco. I’ve started using coco bricks so I know it’s been given the treatment. 
If you want guaranteed out of the bag boss as fuck coco get some Canna Pro. 

I've just sent them a message on Facebook because I didn't think of this. Idk why but I never think of contacting the manufacturer but I surpose its the obvious thing to do!

Maybe I'll look at Canna Pro next time.

thank for your advice !

• Like 1

There’s conflicting opinions but I like to be sure I’ve given the coco all the calmag it wants. 

I soak it with enough so it’s like a nice thick broth. I add enough calmag to be at least 1.8 EC preferably 2.0. But I just lob it in and soak it overnight. At least 8hrs. Twice. 

I tried soaking @1.4 EC but for whatever reason I saw deficiency. So since blasting plenty of calmag in I haven’t had any bother touch wood. 

If you experience a deficiency coz youve already made a start just be aware some calmags have nitrogen in there so you might possibly have to take that into account when adding yer grow nutrients depending how much N is in there.

Why bagged coco isn’t labelled as being buffered with calmag I dunno. It saves a lot of aggro. Seems like a good selling point to me. 

The canna pro is foolproof, it’s what I go for if I’m using bagged stuff so it must be :) 

A 10L coco brick is about £1.50. I mix up as much as I need knowing it’s buffered with the benefit of not having half full bags of coco sweating away in a placky bag. I’ve got it down to a fine art. All counted in it’s probably about 20 minutes work. The rest of the time you can sit about wi’ a brew n just let patience do the work :) 

E2a - just ring up a decent grow shop n ask about the biobizz. They’ll get feedback from customers and they’ll have had the sales wankery from the firm themselves. If yer shy drop a few emails. I reckon you might get an answer before the end of business.

Edited by mikeydoughnut
To add a bit at the end
  • Like 2

Sorry bud for got to mention pH. 

If yer buffering coco I’ve found 2.0ec and 6.0-6.2pH works best. Some might think it overkill. I dunno. But that’s what I do and it works. No need to add calmag to every feed fullstop then :)  

Edited by mikeydoughnut
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, mikeydoughnut said:

E2a - just ring up a decent grow shop n ask about the biobizz. They’ll get feedback from customers and they’ll have had the sales wankery from the firm themselves. If yer shy drop a few emails. I reckon you might get an answer before the end of business.

I spoke to a couple of shops and none of them had a clue tbh they just said they think it is buffered but to buffer it myself anyway :doh:

So to get this right, I make a solution of calmag around 2 EC and ph my water to 6 then just tip my coco in to the water and leave it to soak for 8 hours or so? I'm guessing after that, I put the coco in to the pots and flush with PH'd water? Does it matter that I'm going to be planting seedlings in the coco or would you say 2 EC is sill good?

Some of the seeds are just starting to show the tap root so am I right in saying that when the tap root gets about 15mm long, I put the seed in a jiffie with the root facing down, still in the dark? And should I soak my jiffy in a weak solution of rhizo or just use PH'd water?

Sorry for all the questions coco and jiffies are new to me in the past I've just used soil. I'm sure it will be worth it when I get my head round it :yep:

Ey up bud, no bother eh.

aye that’s right. But for the love of god don’t tip the coco into the water. You mek a reyt fucking mess lol … pour the calmag mix onto the coco :) 

-2.0 EC 

-6.0pHish 

-Soak overnight preferably but at least a good 8 hours. I drain it off using a colander.

-Do this twice. To be sure to be sure like.

-When you’ve done that just run through an appropriate feed for whatever stage yer plant is at. Check yer run off as yer do it so you know the coco is good to go.

Disclaimer - this is what I do and it works well enough for me. 

e2a - I just germinate in the jiffy TBH. But the couple of times I’ve used paper towels I just bob’ ‘em in whatever they’re going to live in. Cover the seed husk ever so slightly and under a gentle light. I’m not best giving advice on that method coz I’ve no real experience of doing it. But seedlings want light. Not dark. So I’d pot em up in small pots, using yer buffered coco and maybe 0.8ec of A&B watered through and under a T5 or summat similar. 

e2a again - sorry bud I’m a bit preoccupied so I keep remembering to add stuff after the fact.

Edited by mikeydoughnut
  • Like 3

Final bit of advice … Next time buy canna coco pro whatever it’s called lol 

What’s your water like? Have you checked the repot from yer local water board n that? It should tell you how much calcium and magnesium is in yer tap water. 

It always helps to know things like this. Helps with troubleshooting should you run into any bother. Some folk have to correct their ratios of calcium to magnesium. But let’s not worry about that just now lol I’m stoned as hell and I keep going on and me brew is stone cold. 

There’s always folk about to help. Enjoy yer grow bud n good luck :) 

Edited by mikeydoughnut
  • Like 1