End Of Season Bubble Hash Run!!! AKA Ignorant Bubble Hash From Memory

Cajafiesta

'Sup Folks.

I'll preface all this by saying I'm far from proficient at making hash.  My "education" around making bubble hash, more or less, consists of me watching a video by Frenchy Cannoli a couple of years ago.  I *think* I remember most of the bullet points he outlined.  So here we go. A photo journey of Ignorantly Made Bubble Hash From Memory.

So I got some bubble bags.  We froze a bunch of plant material.  It was a mix of trim from this big ass salad spinner trimmer bowl looking thing, plants that were sub par and chopped specifically for hash, and some donated trim from grower friends.  I have no clue how much we had, in total.  Probably a couple of pounds of mixed up material.

Right, so wash it all a couple times yadda yadda.   Here we go.  A ball of wet bubble hash.  160G wet weight. Mixed into one "grade."  This is 120 mircon down to 25 micron. It's pretty clean aside from a couple stray pistils etc.  Good enough for us. 

large_hash.JPG

Me: " Hey, Growerbuddy.  I think that's damn near the size of a baseball!

Growerbuddy:  " Gotta be close.... hang on!"

large.baseball.jpg

Ok, so that's a big ball of wet hash.  The memory bank says we're supposed to break it up and dry it?  Cool.  I remember Frenchy passing it through a sieve to get really small pieces.  Ain't nobody got time for that shit.  Broke it up by hand/scissors and let it dry. This photo is a bit disheveled.  It was drying nice and neat, this photos is a couple days into drying.  Had an idea that I wanted to press it into bricks.  Hence one sheet of parchment has been moved around and messed with.  Abandoned that idea.  Wasn't consistent or pretty.  This method yielded little pebbles that went dark on the dry exterior and had some remaining blonde on the inside, I assume this is something hat isn't totally dry. Seems dry enough, though.  

large.IMG_7304.jpg

Ok, so we got a bunch of dried resin-head pebbles.  I think the French dude says we need to heat and press it.  He uses a wine bottle full of boiling water.  Ok, cool.  First press. This shit looks like the inside of a candy bar.  Doesn't taste like it, though.  Not recommended as a snack, if you're after something like some delicious caramel candy bar filling.  Looks the part, kinda sticky, though. lol

large.hash1.jpg

Ok, so that's one round.  Need to keep going.  This water bottle thing is silly.  What are we accomplishing, at the core?   Gentle heat to make it malleable and then mechanical force to mix and rupture the resin heads?  That seems like the general idea.  How can I do this more logically?  I have a piece of plate steel in my oven as a pizza stone. hmm....ok.  Set the oven for 170F (77C) and verify it actually stays around there with an oven thermometer.  OK, it does.  Cool.   So at this point, I start heating the resin mass on the steel, very gently.  About 30 seconds per side.  Then use the hot water bottle as a rolling pin.  Much quicker.  Much more effective. Cool.  It starts to speed up here. 

large.hash2.jpg

Yep, ok.  We're getting some where now.  Keep going, fold, knead, roll.  Heat, fold, knead, roll. Getting more homogenous now. 

large.hash3.jpg

Annnddddddd now we appear to be totally homogenous.  texture has changed.  It's this odd sorta "over-chewed bubblegum" texture when still warm.  Very malleable. Sticky, but oddly not sticky, if you handle it quickly.  Cool.  All one color.  Kneading and mixing done.  Or at least I'm calling it done.  

large.hash4.jpg

Right, so this shit isn't very useful in thin, sticky sheets glued to parchment paper.  Lets get to blobbin'

Blobs achieved. 

large.blobs.jpg

That's a total of 60g there in that photo.   Still have 20g to process.  Total yield is around 80gish. 

I see people holding a lighter to this stuff.  If it immediately goes to liquifying and bubbling that means it's good? Or I assume so, since that's what people do?

This hash does the lighter-melt-bubble thing.  So, uh, I guess that means.........something?

I tested it out last night.  I always go pretty hard on something new to sort of get the full picture of what it's like. 

Rolled out a 0.3g worm and put it in a joint.  Absolutely clobbered!  Laughing at nothing, singing to my dog.  Laughing some more, at nothing. Awesome!

Rolled another 0.2g worm into a joint and continued on with getting dumb.  Definitely got more dumb. Went from laughing to pretty comatose.  Cool!

Rolled another 0.15g worm into a joint.  Smoked it.  Woke up in my recliner at 2am. Stumbled into bed. 

Woke up at 6am feeling AWESOME.  I mean AWESOME.  I assumed I would wake up cloudy headed what with smoking .6-.7g of hash along with a couple grams of flower.  Nope.  Crystal clear, energized feeling when I woke up.  That's pretty neat. 

So all in all, I'd say successful. This is maybe the third time I've made bubble hash and definitely the first time I've attempted to process it "correctly."  Or at least as correct as I remember from watching one video a couple years ago lol

• Like 27

4 minutes ago, Gaijin said:

Nice result mate :yep: From memory, too lol 

No chance I'd be relying on my memory :rofl: 

Fortunately ( and oddly, what with the amount of dope I smoke) I've got a pretty razor-sharp memory.  At least for the stuff that fascinates me.  I went back and watched the video again after I made the hash.  I got it pretty close!  Aside from the drying.  He's much more adamant about complete drying than I was.  I think I'll be ok, though.  

• Like 2

It looks a bit wet, that's why the sieving thing is a good idea. But at least it does the trick eh! Well done. 

Just something to consider for next time :) 

• Like 1

Just now, KC said:

It looks a bit wet, that's why the sieving thing is a good idea. But at least it does the trick eh! Well done. 

Just something to consider for next time :) 

Yeah, I assumed that was the case, what with the initial color variation.  I've done this once prior, with a MUCH smaller amount.  But I dried the same way.  That experiment has been in existence now, in two different environments, for months.  No mold or any adverse impact on the small run experiment, so I just went with it. 

We'll do this again next year.  I intend to plan better and attempt to do the sieve method.  That just takes up SO MUCH space with sieving it onto parchment.  I didn't have anything available, space wise, to accomplish that.  So I just said " fuck it" and went with it.  

This stuff will be passed out and consumed within a couple weeks, I think. So not much risk of mold.  

But noted.  Thanks for the tip!

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Cajafiesta said:

Me: " Hey, Growerbuddy.  I think that's damn near the size of a baseball!

Growerbuddy:  " Gotta be close.... hang on!"

large.baseball.jpg

Very nice :)

I'll be more impressed if you can pronounce the name of that sauce correctly though lol

• Like 6

@latigid aikon

Woo...Wor....Woos..Worch....Woorwarscheste...tershi...testerschire....

Good.  It's "tastes good" sauce!

hah!  We call it "wooster-shire"   Who knows how to *correctly* pronounce it! 

• Like 4

36 minutes ago, Cajafiesta said:

We call it "wooster-shire" 

"wooster" is correct but "shire" is not lol

I don't think I'm allowed to tell you how to pronounce it correctly lollol

It looks so wrong without the traditional orange label too.

Baseballs and Lea & Perrins is a proper culture clash lol

I'm off to make some cheese on toast and some dry sift now...

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, stu sleeper 20vt said:

Wooster sheer lol

FFS it's the 1st rule of English pronunciation club lol

3 minutes ago, KC said:

have heard people say "shy Arr"

Those people are simply wrong.

• Like 4

Wooster shur

I've heard Americans pronounce it warchestershyre lol

E2A Don't even attempt to pronounce Cholmondley or Burwardsley (both in Cheshire, the county I grew up in) unless you know how, cos you'll be wrong lol

Edited by Boojum
  • Like 3

shir.

like saying Cher with an I.

second edit forgot to say, nice hash @Cajafiesta

sod the worcestershire sauce though, hendersons northern relish is flavour country :yep:

Edited by Exhale
  • Like 1