Looking ahead to next season

Crow River

Just now, Ch@ppers said:

I remember years ago reading of a crop found smack bang in the middle of a huge area of fenced off waste ground, razor wire and a high fence, anyway somehow the crop was discovered as it was about to be harvested, smell perhaps, over a thousand plants. 

If I had started GG a decade or more ago, I'd have been spoilt for choice for waste land, gap sites, etc. nearby. All been built on since then. Hardly anything left unless I want to trek ten miles or more (I don't).

Developers, eh? Like a cancer on society...

Edited by Crow River
  • Like 4

Multiple plots if you have the time spare is a good shout.
Not sure about putting the autos out that early at your lat though. They’re fussy fuckers with low temps (or restricted roots) and will stunt easily. I go with a late April sow, into the greenhouse first or second week of May and out late May or just into June. Try @panik jiffy deep slotted peat pots - worked superb for me this year. 

If you think you need Frisian duck for stealth at one plot, it’s probably not secure enough.

And one photo at a plot ? Put three out for every finisher you want, can’t go wrong then. 

oh yeah and it pisses down a lot more up here than most of the lower Lats so as long they get a nice water in, you shouldn’t need to worry about watering missions (northern lat compensatory perk) 

I took a walk with the dog through a plot I used in about 2018 this evening. It’s a good plot in every way other than the footpath that runs past about 80’ and the area does have evidence of occasional folk. I wouldn’t consider using such a plot now. It was a one shot one year type of spot and produced some lovely buds. 

Enjoy the trip :) 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Clean Green said:

Not sure about putting the autos out that early at your lat though. They’re fussy fuckers with low temps (or restricted roots) and will stunt easily. I go with a late April sow, into the greenhouse first or second week of May and out late May or just into June. 

That's pretty much what I did this year, sowed seeds on 1st May, into greenhouse mid-May/early June. Reckon I could have gone a few weeks earlier.  I'll be looking at forecasts and temperature averages before wetting beans though. One thing I did find is germinating autos in June is too late for the greenhouse, giving a September finish where temperature and humidity caused problems. Obviously a bit different at an open air plot, but I’ll try to get autos finishing in August where possible, except maybe some XXL strains that could need longer.

If you think you need Frisian duck for stealth at one plot, it’s probably not secure enough.

And one photo at a plot ? Put three out for every finisher you want, can’t go wrong then. 

Quite a few plants there will be pretty much "hiding in plain sight" so I'll be using stealthy strains and lower numbers at that particular place. There are trees, bushes etc. for camouflage, but it's not as secluded as the other sites. I will be taking clones from most plants, so there would be three or more grown from the initial seed, but not necessarily at the exact same spot.

Main issue I have with the sites earmarked so far is that only one is really suitable for photos in any numbers. Combination of shading at certain times of year, plus space restrictions. Quite difficult to find sites that tick all the boxes in an urban setting…

oh yeah and it pisses down a lot more up here than most of the lower Lats so as long they get a nice water in, you shouldn’t need to worry about watering missions (northern lat compensatory perk) 

Very true, although it was pretty dry this summer it’s not usually a problem. One site has easy access to water (where the ducksfoot strains will grow), a second is only a very short distance from water supply. For the other two, carrying water will be more effort and hassle, but not impossible if required.

Edited by Crow River
  • Like 4

I didn’t really need to water at all. I’m not sure if we even went a full week without rain. When there was a drought in England it was raining here. Saying that, it was still a lovely summer here 

• Like 2

A cow’s trough saved me lugging water with me. Turns out there’s 1 in near every field. Fresh water from irrigation system. Have been spotted a few times by walkers. No one said anything. I was gonna say it was safety prep for a mad bonfire or something lol better than ‘I’m thirsty’ 

morning/night visits would have prevented being spotted but it’s a bit of a trek from fields to plot so I wasn’t worried about it. 

Edited by AnonyMice
  • Like 3

@AnonyMice, no fields or livestock near my plots. Was considering a collapsible water butt or similar for one site, but it would maybe be too visible. So if there's a very dry spell might need to carry water. We had nearly a month with no rain earlier this summer, but not a drought like in southern England.

Edited by Crow River
  • Like 1

Had to google what a water butt is.. that looks like a great idea.  I was thinking of digging a “lake” (body of water in ground?) and filling it with plastic sheeting to collect rain water, though I’m not sure if that’ll work haven’t looked into it much 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, AnonyMice said:

Had to google what a water butt is.. that looks like a great idea.  I was thinking of digging a “lake” (body of water in ground?) and filling it with plastic sheeting to collect rain water, though I’m not sure if that’ll work haven’t looked into it much 

If your carrying loads of kit in do it over winter, your not going to leave trail through thick overgrowth, and come spring the vegetation grows over your trail. large.Screenshot_20200602_183824.jpglarge.Screenshot_20200603_160424.jpglarge.Screenshot_20200526_155331.jpg

• Like 6

@Ch@ppers, that's very organised!

I did have a plot pencilled in near a river, but it's too far away. So no pumps and hoses. But maybe a water butt, a half height one might do the trick, let it collect rain water over the winter then put a top on to stop it all evaporating in dry spells. I'll get the thinking cap on. :) 

Currently my mind is working on the best access routes to each plot. I've invested in some bolt cutters so I can get through wire fences more easily. Railways may be disused, but still fenced off and tricky sometimes to get to the bit you want. 

Good point about stashing equipment there over winter. I was already thinking that for two of the plots it might be a good idea to store basic tools on site: spade, fork, etc. Wrap them in polythene and then cover with a camo tarp before hiding under some bushes. Easier than lugging them in every visit...

• Like 2

That’s some setup @Ch@ppers will definitely take that tip and get my stuff there over the winter. It was hassle and a bit risky carrying spades, chicken wire etc on a bicycle April time lol 

@Crow River I’m looking around a river myself for next year. Have to keep in mind that some areas are prone to flooding. I’ve found a few spots on google earth that look like elevated bramble patches. Will be checking them out 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, AnonyMice said:

I was thinking of digging a “lake” (body of water in ground?) and filling it with plastic sheeting to collect rain water

That should work too. Bit of pond liner sheet, place stones or soil round the edge to stop it falling in. Easier to carry onto site, but more work once you're there! :) 

I've been looking at builder's and plasterer's buckets as as cheap alternative to water butts. Just needs maybe a mesh cover over to stop leaves getting in.

• Like 1

Anything big enough to catch water should do I suppose.

My idea could be a lot of wasted effort if for some reason the plot isn’t usable in spring. But could really come in handy too. But i’m hoping to find a few plots close to the river so may not even be an issue. 

Ive wrote a big plan in my notes lol 

• Like 1

I'm coming around to the 'pond' idea. Only needs a hole 1 metre square, 0.5 metre deep. Once full, that's 500 litres of water! Bit of digging and a few quid's worth of pond liner, job's a good 'un. OTOH easy to carry a builder's bucket, but only holds maybe 40-75 litres, the bigger it is harder to carry.

Amazing how plans start to crowd your mind once you start thinking about this! :D

Edited by Crow River
  • Like 1

@Crow River   Hey mate ,  just spotted this thread ,  Amongst the selections you have settled on i also highly recommend putting some of -

Slims MWF out !   Rock solid and pretty fast.   Any of Slims work mate.  

Brocks  -  SHD x BBG is a tough semi thats monster on flavour.      Brocks gear has been tested up north and romped home  ,  ran happily with no dramas in Glasgow & Orkney :B):

• Like 4

@OldFord, thanks for the tips!

I'll have to wait and see if @Amarillo slim makes available a new round of MWF, as there's none in stock. In principle, his work would be well up my list of candidates.

I picked up some subbies from @brock1, two of which are autoflowers (regs I think): Joshua and BSM. I will probably try one of these strains next season. :) 

• Like 1