Looking ahead to next season

Crow River

8 minutes ago, AnonyMice said:

@B-real my other guess was the first bag was older & lost nutrients. maybe second bag was too hot. Never know now lol. 

Will make sure I have a decent medium next year :D might just include some coco :) 

Any potting soil usually does the trick.

Peat free was abit twiggy and shit I preferred the peat seedling compo bnm had for a 5 rather than lidl shit.

@Clean Green, thanks for the advice. Do you mind me asking which strains you have found to perform well? Would be useful to know a bit more about your experience as you are pretty close to my latitude.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Crow River said:

Do you mind me asking which strains you have found to perform well?

Not at all .. This year I was lucky with two rgs Zkittles that finished early October though others further south have had more late phenos so not reliable up here unless you put a few out. They are bomb proof though and I still have a later one out in all this crap weather.
Other properly finished photos I’ve had are rgs fast cookies (again could have been lucky but was down early October and big solid nugs and potent too) rgs fast diesel have done well as have their DFG - I would say the DFG have proven a bit more bomb proof than the fast diesels over the past few years.  I ran some danish stuff from hybrids from hell a good few years back and there were some very nice early finishing big yielders amongst them, wild super 07 is the one I remember best. I’ve also had success with some other random strains, OG kush, biddy early and even a green crack. All standard photos finishing mid to late October even first couple of weeks of November and have been lovely. RGS autos blew me away this year though with Dosidos, Tangie and Lemonade OG especially doing well producing 1.5 a 2 oz plants - 4’ bushy beasts!  It is doable up here but for every plant that works there is often one that doesn’t. Celebrated my decade of pure self sufficiency this year though so well worth the graft 

• Like 10

1 hour ago, Clean Green said:

I ran some danish stuff from hybrids from hell a good few years back and there were some very nice early finishing big yielders amongst them, wild super 07 is the one I remember best.

Cheers for the run down on good strains, really helpful. I have some RGS beans, and also some from HFH. They'll definitely be the mainstay of my photoperiod efforts. I'll also try a couple of Dutch Passion outdoor strains. They'll probably finish quite late here but worth a punt. The rest will be autos, guaranteed early harvest...

1 hour ago, Clean Green said:

It is doable up here but for every plant that works there is often one that doesn’t. Celebrated my decade of pure self sufficiency this year though so well worth the graft 

Yeah suppose I'll need to be prepared for losing a few. Will be trying to do some clones to make up the numbers and spread the risk. Good to see that it can work in northern climes though. Really looking forward to the year ahead!

Off work today so went for a recce of three sites. Bit of a mixed bag.

One site was better than expected, found a few areas surrounded by trees, shrubs and brambles that have got potential. They were getting sun today which is a very good sign. I was very alert to paths showing where folk had been, and tried to avoid any areas where people might be hanging out (e.g. beer cans, signs of fires or even camping). It'll be a fair amount of work to get plots prepped, but I'll wait until the vegetation has died off a bit which will simplify things slightly.

Another site proved a bit disappointing. There are some places with potential, but quite difficult to get to. Of course this will maybe help security, but I'll have a fair bit of hacking through brambles to do. There's another spot which looks ideal, but I couldn't reach it today, will have to return another time. 

Third site is very easy for me to get to, shaded by trees at this time of year but I know it gets sun April-September. It will be okay for some autos, and there's one sunnier corner where I'll try a photo. I'll have to use stealthy strains at this site as while the place is fairly quiet, it's not as well hidden as the other two. Auto Duck and Frisian Duck most likely, as they don't look like weed until well into flower.

There's a fourth site I've yet to recce in full detail, though I've identified the spots I think could be good. Again that will be for autos only, because of shading from trees later in the year. Will try and get access at the weekend.

It's been good to roam the sites and get a feel for how secluded or otherwise they are, check the soil, etc.

Edited by Crow River
  • Like 2

Sounds like your plans are truly underway mate. I’m excited for next year to see what you can produce. 

My current spots all face security issues so I’ll be doing some spot hunting for myself soon. 

A good tip Revive gave me was that spots that seem good & accessible now could be completely over grown and inaccessible come spring time. I was originally planning to build my spots over winter but with that in mind I realise it’s better to start grafting the spots in spring time. I’ll definitely be spending my winter spot hunting like yourself. 

You probs already know that, you didn’t mention anything about building your spots over winter, but it’s a handy piece of advice for people who do want to get ahead of it and start grafting, only for their spots to be completely grown over again. 

I think I’ll go spot hunting with a pal next week 

Edited by AnonyMice
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, AnonyMice said:

You probs already know that, you didn’t mention anything about building your spots over winter, but it’s a handy piece of advice for people who do want to get ahead of it and start grafting, only for their spots to be completely grown over again. 

Aye, it's a bit like tending an allotment. You have to get stuff dug over, weeded, mulched and covered otherwise as soon as spring hits it's a jungle! :) One difference with the GG plots is the need to camouflage any bits that have been dug over. Otherwise could give the game away very early...

I will be doing prep over the winter though. I'll be taking cardboard and bits of carpet to suppress weeds so, even if access is more tricky, at least the plots themselves shouldn't be too overgrown.

Edited by Crow River
  • Like 1

I forgot you were already into your gardening :wallbash: just finishing a joint here. Nice n stoned lol This was my first gardening experience. I’ve learned a lot and it’s spiked my interest. Been taking out a lot of gardening books. I don’t have a garden but I’m considering GG some fruit/veg. Not completely decided on that yet though. Think I should focus on the weed for a season or two, build up my knowledge. 

I have a sunflower head. plan to make a wee GG sunflower field for fun lol 

Edited by AnonyMice
  • Like 1

The main things I learned this year related to timing and airflow. Was growing in a polytunnel greenhouse so semi-outdoors. Had big issues with humidity and rot, first occasion was my own fault due to lack of ventilation, second one was timing as auto was finishing relatively late in the year, wet weather, no wind.

So for next season, I will try to get my autos out earlier. Germinate in April, plant out in late April/early May. Then they get the benefit of the best of the long summer days. I'll take clones and they'll finish later, but still within the summer hopefully.

Photos can probably go out a little later, mid-May to early June. I'll need to think about airflow on plots, balancing that with wind exposure and camouflage from surrounding vegetation. Ideally I want a ring of brambles around my plants (but not too close), and/or shelter from trees/shrubs against the prevailing winds. All while maximising hours of sunlight. Not asking much eh? :D

My greenhouse will be mostly a nursery for seedlings and clones next year (alongside normal crops like tomatoes, peppers). Will also grow out a couple of autos there, should be able to start them in April.

16 hours ago, AnonyMice said:

I don’t have a garden but I’m considering GG some fruit/veg

Maybe try growing fruit bearing shrubs, e.g. currants, raspberries? Expensive in shops. Won't get much fruit first year though.

Also, now is the time to plant garlic. Just buy some bulbs from supermarket, split into cloves and plant cloves in well-drained soil. Late spring/early summer you'll have fresh garlic. :) 

• Like 1

One thing to keep in mind with clones is their lack of a true tap root. They struggle to push their roots as deep as a seed plant so tend to be a lot less resistant to drought. Not to say you shouldn't use them, but just keep in mind that they will need more regular water visits if we get a repeat of this summer. 

Finding a good spot is the hardest part IME, balancing security, accessibility, sun exposure and shelter etc. Took me a good few years to find that Goldilocks location, but it was definitely worth all the bramble scratches and nettle rash.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MindSoup said:

One thing to keep in mind with clones is their lack of a true tap root. They struggle to push their roots as deep as a seed plant so tend to be a lot less resistant to drought. Not to say you shouldn't use them, but just keep in mind that they will need more regular water visits if we get a repeat of this summer. 

Aye, noticed that with the clones I grew out this year indoors. Strange isn't it? Will keep this in mind when planting out. I've got plenty of seeds but I need to keep height down on plants for several of the sites I've identified, so will be topping and may as well root out the tops as clones...

4 minutes ago, MindSoup said:

Finding a good spot is the hardest part IME, balancing security, accessibility, sun exposure and shelter etc. Took me a good few years to find that Goldilocks location, but it was definitely worth all the bramble scratches and nettle rash.

Yeah, definitely a challenge, especially in an urban area. I'm trying to spread risk by using several unconnected sites. We'll see how it goes. Already got a few scratches from bramble thorns yesterday... :rolleyes:

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Crow River said:

Yeah, definitely a challenge, especially in an urban area. 

Best sites I ever saw were in the middle of a city :ninja:large.user462206_pic1764878_1500293030.jpg

• Like 8

Just now, Ch@ppers said:

Best sites I ever saw were in the middle of a city :ninja:large.user462206_pic1764878_1500293030.jpg

Ha! Yeah no chance round these parts, alas...

2 minutes ago, Crow River said:

Ha! Yeah no chance round these parts, alas...

I remember years ago reading of a crop found smack bang in the middle of a huge area of fenced off waste ground,in a major American city, razor wire and a high fence, anyway somehow the crop was discovered as it was about to be harvested, smell perhaps, over a thousand plants. 

Edited by Ch@ppers
  • Like 2