Making a hash of it

rumplestilskin'n

I use one called the pollen extractor. They seem to have changed the design totally now, no idea if it's better/worse. It's a diddy little thing. Mines like the one in this clip:

Anyway I think you could make a better one yourself tbh. It's cheap though, and it does a half decent job tbf. It'll fit in the freezer and you can run it in there with the door closed on the lead. It's a skinny 12v wire. Probably fits a half Oz at a time so not the best for capacity! I just Tupperware all my trim, freeze and tumble it frozen. You can overdo it if you run too long, as it's frozen it's pretty fragile. But it gives a tidy product considering. Not as good as bubble but still....

You can clean it up a bit with the dvd case method (Google it) if you're fussy but this'll blow your socks off compared to your baked blended craziness!

large.IMG_20201030_225741_579_compress71.jpglarge.20180921_220445-1167x1276.jpglarge.20180921_220330-1167x1554.jpglarge.20180908_225500.jpglarge.20180808_165330.jpglarge.20171126_101045.jpglarge.20171125_222120-600x765.jpg

Edited by lildaveham
Remove facefuck link
  • Like 11

Should mention that you'll find the motor wheel slips as the drum ices up in the freezer. I stretch a charity wristband around the metal drum at the motor end so it grips.

• Like 1

@rumplestilskin'n

To me, it seems like you're process of making hash is done by combining multiple versions and methods of making. And adding both good and bad things from those methods.

Two things that I would stop doing is using water and oil. Water risks getting trapped inside the resin and mould, and even though some oils are tasteless, they do add flavour to the hash. If it's a problem with it getting stuck in the mold, freezing the mold after pressing will aid in the removal.

If I was you, I would invest in bubblebags. Even if you grind the material (grinding or blending too fine is not optimal, I use my gloved hands to break it down until similar consistency as it would come out of a grinder), the water does wonder for sorting it all out. 

There are other methods of cleaning farmers grade, like static sifting. But I don't like it myself, takes too long, screens are too expensive and you need plenty of space.

• Like 1

I'm not on there. Just where the video happened to be. If you guys want to see what it looks like Google it. It's the version with the little metal drum rather than the new white plastic square job.

• Like 1

So, am I right in thinking you have to find a suitable sized container to put the tumbler into?  Weird it doesn't seem to come with one.

• Like 1

@FarmerPalmersNT absolutely delightful mate, looks scrumptious it really does. thank you very much for posting that up it gives us all something to aim for. its like Amsterdam in my livingroom.

just looked up the pollen extractor looks great! 

@Translator yeah bud tend to agree with you i sort of came to a gun fight with a pen knife. alot of talk about these bubble bags but i just couldnt be arsed with the hassle but i do appreciate what the end result is when they are used.

looks de-light-ful.

wouldnt mind doing what FPNT does so think I'll botch something together to do this, going to get the thinking cap on and start chalking some plan up. thinking of using a tiny fish tank and using tile bits to drill it and stick a drum and motor  in it some how, my mind is racing (pretty much like yours FPNT just look it up there and realised its near the same as im thinking so could just take you wheel and vajazzle it) . probably take me to lie in the bath a while for thats where i hear my pennies drop mostly. 

the chelato trim is basically ready @4kali so im going to order up some finer mesh and not grind up the trim/popcorn and do two runs, one with the tumbler as it is now and one with the finer mesh on and we can all compare, can't wait! 

just two question guys,

no1

i was just going to leave the material in the freezer for 24 hrs or is more of a case just leave it in until it freezes in approx 2hrs or so. 

no2

do i need to let the trim cure or can i just seperate it and let it cure as hash? 

stoked with the feedback, was near trembling with excitement earlier. what can i say im a bit bat shit doo lally when i get something in my head and run with it. 

thanks a million everyone

Edited by rumplestilskin'n
looked up FPNT's device and added to my lost
  • Like 2

Reason so many talk about bubblebags is just like you said, the end results are outstanding. Also very hard to mess up, and you can clean farmers grade with them aswell. I have personally not tried it though.

Think I paid about 100 Euros for my 4 bag set from Growmart, sometimes wish I bought the 8 bag kit though. As the 45µm bag would sort out the heads that are good enough for the 73µm bag, but don't really belong in the 25µm one. 120µm and 90µm I'm not so sure about.

I have not tried the DVD case method as mentioned by FarmerPalmersNT, but sounds worth trying. Even if you are able to clean it up just a little bit, it will greatly improve the end product.

And no, you do not need to cure the trim. Curing is done to improve the plant material and not the resin.

There is another method of cleaning farmers grade, but I don't know what it's called. Think I saw it in a video from either Lebanon or Afghanistan. They used two flat metal pieces, similar to machetes. The farmers grade hash was placed on a suspended cloth and the metal pieces was dragged over the hash back and forth at a slight angle. Eventually clean hash got stuck to the edge of the metal, and once enough was collected you removed it and continued to clean the rest.

If anyone know what method that is, please fill in. Better yet, find a video of it.

Edited by Translator
  • Like 3

sound like a good bit of kit translator bro.

had a wee jeff to see if i could find that dvd case method but im none the wiser as i cant find any info. 

had a eureka moment lying in bed this morning.......... how about...... one of those electric powered cooler/ice boxes converted into a tumbler. sounds plausible guys right? 

I think the cleaning technique being referred to involves creating an electro static charge if I'm understanding things correctly.

What I think I remember seeing years ago was,

someone wrapping a piece of parchment paper/baking paper around a credit card or similar and I can't remember if they rubbed it on their jumper or something,

before waving the card/paper slowly just above the product attracting unwanted material on the edge of the card iirc

Leaving behind only trich heads :bong: 

Atb

:yinyang:

• Like 2

nice 1 guys. cheers for the info. 

thanks for clearing up the trim/cure question as well translator. 

• Like 1

round 3

chelato trim trim was epic fail as far as top notch hash goes, tumbled material was green as get out, didnt even blend it just popped trim and stuff in freezer first. Didnt bother taking pics, need to change mesh to finer screen.

Be a while until my next attempt, order new mesh, wait til it comes, change tumbler mesh with new mesh, go to work, etc. 

loved this so far, thanks evryone. 

• Like 4

hash conisseurs please dont hate me or hunt me down for crimes against top quality hash. 

after talking to the bros its clear what they want from the discussion. 

they were both absolutely horrified and delighted. they both liked the idea of getting better quality hash but in the end they didnt like the fact that they'll get next to nothing compared to what they are getting now. the survey said dont change the wheel bro so its them im doing it for so things will remain as they are for them, for now atleast. 

i really do take in what everyone has said so next plant/grow (SHD x Blackberry gum) ill do a dry sift of the buds with a 200 mesh screen equivalent to 74 microns i think and give everyone a goosie, maybe even go finer mesh just to try and show off a bit and show what ive taken on board from you all. After that ill whack it into the tumbler. 

so please dont think im spitting in your faces guys when i post these next few posts up, just following the wishes of my very very hash hungry brothers who would smoke the tongue off a boot so this brown i make for them is like fillet mignon. 

here is my chelato buds and trim, going to hash the lot. When i do I'll post up pics of the finished product, we all know what way its done from the previous posts.

large.IMG_20221023_113359.jpglarge.IMG_20221023_113408.jpg

thanks everyone. 

• Like 1