Any DJ's in here?

Hashslag

Just wondered if there were any other members with decks etc. If so, what you got and what do you play?

I'm an old bastard so I've only got 1200s and a a big old analogue Ecler mixer, and I play trance, progressive house and all that sort of thing, and drum & bass/jungle. :hippy:

• Like 7

Bedroom DJ here from around '94 

Me and my crew of mates were all heavily into jungle/dnb when it first came about in our early teens. One of us got a set of shitty belt drives off his older brother (Citronix maybe??) so we'd always be round his smoking bongs and learning to mix.

As time progressed a few of us (not me) got 1200s which obviously made beat matching a whole lot easier. I didn't get my first and only set of decks (Vestax PDX A2s) til about '03 by which point I was long into hiphop/rap.

Doesn't happen very often any more but love getting together with some old mates and having a lil b2b sesh.

Been contemplating getting a Pioneer DJ controller jobby for a bit of fun.

You ever play out @Hashslag?

• Like 5

Still messing about on my 2 x M5Gs and Xone 4D regularly entertaining the neighbours with old rave tunes from 88 - 93 ish 

I got into the digital stuff and downloading everything I could for a while but rarely switch on the computer, controllers or CDJs these days 

• Like 4

@Thirty3 You sound like you're probably about the same age as me, give or take a year or two. We used to spend all our time round my mates house as he was the only one with decks (Soundlabs) playing drum & bass and jungle. Probs from around 95. I remember AWOL Live being huge at the time :) Spending all our money on soapbar and vinyl haha. Good days they were, stoned almost constantly, learning to mix, ripping bongs and gigantic spliffs, towels rolled up at the bottom of the bedroom door lol

Then I got myself a set of decks and a mixer (JB Systems decks / Soundlab mixer) and then we had two places to go :) Started getting into trance after going to Peach @ Camden Palace and then it all just carried on from there. I never really played out tbh, one or two guest appearances on internet radio was about it for me, until about 6 years ago me and some pals decided our area needed an event for us older peeps, bringing back the club classics we all used to love. We did four or five events, and it went really well. Made some money for local charity etc too. 

Now I'm relegated to my shed (studio?) where I'll jump on the decks every now and then. I did last night as it goes, dug out some old trance :)

• Like 2

Been at it just over 20 years now. Mostly just for fun but do the odd festival and free party if requested.

Mk2 1210's all the way but find myself often using timecodes on them purely because of availability of new tunes and the cost of vinyl is abhorrent for a dj these days.

Dj mostly any tech, bass and disco house or jungle/ jump up d n b.

I dont think I will ever part with my technics. 

Cdjs and controllers can suck my big fat dick.

• Like 5

I remember back in 1994 + we used to do just this, go to a mates loaded with soap bar lol an empty bottle and a bucket and just spin them tunes. I always tried to mix but i was and still am useless lol i never bought any decks or got into it but i love music, back in 2007 i actually set up a radio station online and teamed up with loads of bedroom Dj's who used to link up and broadcast, it worked really well, i was more technical and the business side of it though, we managed to link up weekly to a Dj in Ibiza who was at a top venue (Cant mention the name as it would give it away lol ) one of the Bedroom Dj's after we packed it all in actually continued and worked with a big airline company and did mixes for the inflight entertainment !! 

I still have Virtual Dj on my lap top and every so often i try but miserably fail at mixes, keeps me entertained though lol If i could change one thing about growing up i would have learned to mix properly....

• Like 3

Been messing around on decks since 1993.

Currently own a Tractor rig. It combines the best elements of DJing and sound production IMO. The two combined add extra elements which can also be achieved now in multiple ways using different technologies such as Tractor, CDJ's etc.

Massively into House, deep and minimal, Hip Hop especially instrumental and Ambient.

Stuffs still all packed up at the moment as the house is a partial building site.

Still love tinkering on it though when I can.

Tried all sorts over the years. Decks, CDJ'S etc.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, blackpoolbouncer said:

Mk2 1210's all the way

I dont think I will ever part with my technics. 

This, and this. MK2's are the only Technics for me, although I've not tried the latest releases. I think it's the digital pitch that puts me off - I saw a side by side video a little while ago of a MK2 vs a MK5G. The guy is a Technics service engineer by trade. The MK2 came out way better for holding the pitch and not having to constantly ride it to keep it in time. I'm just a sucker for analogue stuff anyway tbh and I will probably be buried with my MK2's.

I cannot get my head around timecodes/traktor/serrato/rekordbox blah blah blah... I just don't even know where to start although I do like the idea of opening up a bigger music library yet still be able to use the techs. Also I have nowhere to put a laptop in my setup haha

These are my mates deaks from back in the 00's, You put a CD in the front and control them with the decks on top, where the blue light is it over hanging the record with a laser to detect the movement, they were smooth like butter lol

large.62d976e0a740b_marksdeck.jpg

• Like 3

Current setup (already posted this in another hifi thread). 

You can see I've got no space for CDJ's anymore...

large.cb498ab2-d378-4097-9cf5-c72032551cb9.jpg

• Like 3

Just now, Military Grade said:

Honestly the best decks my fingers have ever touched, but I'm not a DJ lol

I guess don't knock it 'til you've tried it!

• Like 1