Nice load of dry trim delivered! Next stop... HASH!

Hashslag

Dry sift is usally much harder to press than bubble due to contaminants, but you seem to have cleaned it good. Better than I did last time I tried it :D

How long did you work it for? Or how many press and folds? Last time I made hash from dry sift I think I had to work it for little over an hour and a half, double the time it took for bubble to be done.

Edited by Translator

1 hour ago, Translator said:

Dry sift is usally much harder to press than bubble due to contaminants, but you seem to have cleaned it good. Better than I did last time I tried it :D

How long did you work it for? Or how many press and folds? Last time I made hash from dry sift I think I had to work it for little over an hour and a half, double the time it took for bubble to be done.

I probably spent about 20-30 minutes all told, I probably could've gone on longer but hey, it's done now. Press and folded 3 times I think?

Just now, Hashslag said:

I probably spent about 20-30 minutes all told, I probably could've gone on longer but hey, it's done now. Press and folded 3 times I think?

Definitely not enough, especially since dry sift is so much harder to press. The contaminants act like a shock absorber in between the trichomes making it harder to crush them.

I would press it again, even for dry sift the ball should shine more. But you could also change the method on the next ball since you are going to press more, that way you have something to compare it to. You might even like it better lightly pressed, all personal preference :)

• Like 1

Just now, Translator said:

Definitely not enough, especially since dry sift is so much harder to press. The contaminants act like a shock absorber in between the trichomes making it harder to crush them.

I would press it again, even for dry sift the ball should shine more. But you could also change the method on the next ball since you are going to press more, that way you have something to compare it to. You might even like it better lightly pressed, all personal preference :)

Yeah, you might have a point mate. I wasn't sure if I'd pressed it enough, it was really late and I was knackered and assumed that since I'd got it into a ball, that'd do lol

Won't the ageing process make some natural changes to the ball too? I'm sure ol' Frenchy mentioned a chemical process that takes place during ageing, whereby the resin begins to actually eat up some of the plant material and that in turn causes it to get better and better with time.

Just now, Hashslag said:

Yeah, you might have a point mate. I wasn't sure if I'd pressed it enough, it was really late and I was knackered and assumed that since I'd got it into a ball, that'd do lol

Won't the ageing process make some natural changes to the ball too? I'm sure ol' Frenchy mentioned a chemical process that takes place during ageing, whereby the resin begins to actually eat up some of the plant material and that in turn causes it to get better and better with time.

Yes. But for that process to be optimal, the ball needs to be a single piece of resin. If you don't press it enough, you will have a mixture of crushed and whole trichomes. I forgot what it's called, but the layer or shell around the trichome head is not only hard, but hard to break down. So those trichomes that are not crushed will not age to their fullest potential.

Edited by Translator
  • Like 1

Fair play @Hashslag thats a lovely looking puck of hash.

What is the texture like? Does it go soft with the heat of your hand?

I'd recommend putting it in the freezer after giving it heat treatment a lot less will stick to the bag.

Enjoy.

toki

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, toki said:

Fair play @Hashslag thats a lovely looking puck of hash.

What is the texture like? Does it go soft with the heat of your hand?

I'd recommend putting it in the freezer after giving it heat treatment a lot less will stick to the bag.

Enjoy.

toki

I don't think I'd have been able to ball it up after freezing though! Not much residue was left on the bag really, aside from a light frosting.

Comparison shot... at the top is the ball from the 1st 2 sifts, which I may have to press again. It is darker brown and rock hard.

Below, broken in pieces is the result of my pressing fro the 3rd sift. I pressed this a lot more than the other one I'm sure, but it still looks like it could do with more. It is much softer than the other one, and easy to break apart (it doesn't want to stay together so much, more leaf material I guess.

I've done a 4th sift today so I may press that separately or combine with the broken one when I repress it.

Any info from you lot on this? Do I have my theories right?

large.20e23a2e-1605-446c-b429-683ddb15cbd0.jpg

• Like 6

That's fairly normal for the third time ime, as the plant material increases it gets hard to knead and wants pressing. I dont do a 4th sift

• Like 1

@inceywinceyspider I didn't plan to tbh, but I'm a greedy cunt and just want as much kief as I can get my filthy hands on. Maybe I won't even bother to press it - just use it as a booster for vaping/bongs/hookah whatever. Or I may attempt to combine it with the other one, just for the hell of it.

What do you usually do with all the leftover trim? I mean, there's still definitely 'mashup-ability' left in it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hashslag said:

@inceywinceyspider I didn't plan to tbh, but I'm a greedy cunt and just want as much kief as I can get my filthy hands on. Maybe I won't even bother to press it - just use it as a booster for vaping/bongs/hookah whatever. Or I may attempt to combine it with the other one, just for the hell of it.

What do you usually do with all the leftover trim? I mean, there's still definitely 'mashup-ability' left in it.

There are techniques for making and cleaning dry sift using multiple screens, but I'm not so familiar with it. You use gravity to feed the heavy trichomes through the first screen, those will drop or bounce under the second screen, where as the plant material slowly falls down and usally gets caught on the screen under the one you are working on.

Bubble hash is the most effective way to take care of trim and larf. I don't care much about the start material either when I make mine, I even grind up the frozen material using my hands until a course grind before washing it.

I should make a thread about my bubble, I have some that needs pressing.

Edited by Translator

@Hashslag  You could just need to be careful with the dosages until you work out how much to eat in one session :hippy:

I've just recently got myself a Magical Butter Machine for taking care of my trim. 

I do like eating cannabis treats, 

I can go without even thinking about a spliff for a couple of hours :D

Atb 

:yinyang:

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Thought I'd post a little update on this, as it's been over two months since I pressed.

The fourth sift was really rough, and really didn't want to press together. However, I managed to force it into unison with the aid of my Nan's old flower press! I've now nearly finished that piece of hash and it's been fine, vapes well and does indeed work.

The 3rd sift I've dipped into here and there and the flavour difference from the 4th is noticeable. Much more spicy and earthy. I'm about halfway through that piece as well, and again, it's a lovely vape.

The ball from the 1st 2 sifts is still wrapped up and I haven't tried it yet, so my plan is to break it out at Xmas. During the last 2 months it has become MUCH more malleable and soft, and it smells delicious. I can't wait to bust it out.

• Like 7