Nice load of dry trim delivered! Next stop... HASH!

Hashslag

OK - I've taken advice and done the first run really gently - probably too gently in truth. I started with 114g frozen dry trim. Like I say, there's not a huge amount. After the first gentle run, small batches, gently move around for a couple of minutes, tap the screen a few times and then recollect, I've got only a very small pile of resin/kief/whatever. It's a lovely sandy gold colour and doesn't look to contain any plant material under macro conditions (although of course, there will be some). But like I say, it's only a very small amount. Less than I'd hoped for, if I'm honest but realistically I'm sure it's fine.

I'm going to pop the material back into the freezer tonight, then do a second more vigorous screening tomorrow, where I'll go someway to breaking up the popcorn and increasing time. I may even end up mixing the two lots of kief together, as I don't think the better grade has enough to make it worthwhile keeping separate. We'll see. The first batch does look gorgeous though. The difference between this and kief from your grinder is so obvious.

I've just vaped one of the popcorn nugs and I'm battered, so nighty night :D 

• Like 7

Some pics from last night, thee are some contaminants in the kief but it's fine. Round 2 today hopefully, then I can think about the pressing :)

As you can see, the trim is mostly leaf material but there are still a few lil' nugs in there too. That was just one batch. Screen is from Hobbycraft, in case anyone wondered lol

large.ed20d117-0fe0-48c5-b312-dcce8e55b5b7.jpglarge.c1f6f73a-a744-40dd-894a-e535ca23f0e9.jpglarge.7a7dee07-9ee0-4d9e-8ac9-18ae9b934604.jpg

• Like 7

That's the spirit. love the screen too :)

Do you have ' bubble bags' to ice hash all that trim once you've finished dry sifting?

toki

Just now, toki said:

That's the spirit. love the screen too :)

Do you have ' bubble bags' to ice hash all that trim once you've finished dry sifting?

toki

Nah - I toyed with the idea of bubble but I'm sticking to dry this time. Far easier to keep on the downlow and just quietly get on with in the confines of my shed!

What I may do is sift another time or two, try to get as many trichs through the screen as I can. Obviously grade would diminish each time I guess but tbh, I don't really give a shit. It'll still be better than most of the shit on the street :)

• Like 4

Just now, Hashslag said:

What I may do is sift another time or two, try to get as many trichs through the screen as I can. Obviously grade would diminish each time I guess but tbh, I don't really give a shit. It'll still be better than most of the shit on the street :)

So true..

toki

looks decent for a single screen run, if you can find a cheap second screen like 25 micron to clean the sift you get back from the screen your using it would be worthwhile. i use a 4 screen set myself but if you went with a 25 micron screen with what you have already i reckon you could get some really nice hash out of them, you would use the 25 screen different as in what comes out the bottom would be discarded or put into edibles an the goodies would sit on top. something i cleaned myself from just frosty leaves..large_hash.jpg

• Like 7

Sift No. 2

Still pretty clean, not a lot of difference from sift No. 1 tbh. I've combined the two runs. I reckon there's still plenty of gold in them thar trimmings!

large.fe3320cd-4caa-4d8a-b3a3-41ca09815c6b.jpglarge.d8d84cd6-5948-4ce7-82a2-99179aaa4e40.jpglarge.5fc1c26e-0f7d-4e9f-be41-2c1afea3f832.jpg

• Like 8

31 minutes ago, toki said:

Lovely stuff @Hashslag

Are you going to be pressing it today?

toki

Not sure, maybe. The trim is back in the freezer now, going to do another sift later tonight, if I get time afterwards I may do the press, or I'll do it over the next day or two. Still really don't know if it's best to just combine all the kief once I'm done, for a bigger piece of hash of very good quality, or split it into smaller pieces, one better than the other. Maybe it's a good idea to keep the best stuff separate, then allow that to go in storage for a few months before breaking it out for a special occasion. Then just use the other stuff as and when I want. I dunno! Gagh!

Sift No. 3. Definitely more yield, because I broke the material down further and really worked it around the screen, and broke up the popcorn nugs. I'm going to do one last sift tomorrow, I'll refreeze the trim and see if there's anything much left in it. Then it's onto the pressing part.

large.75dc8c9a-0e3e-4a91-875f-af47787f0b40.jpg

• Like 7

I'd probably combine sift 1 and 2,

then keep 3 separate as the quality will likely have dropped massively since sift 1 :) 

Then like you say,

stash the best one for as long as you can.

Atb

:yinyang:

• Like 3

I fell asleep last night putting the kids to bed, so I didn't get time to do the fourth sift - however, I did hot bottle press the first two batches together. That's another first ticked off my list :)

It went OK I think - the only thing is I reckon there was more plant material in there than I'd hoped for, as the little hash ball is pretty hard but also that may be partly due to its small size. Still, it's a piece of hand made hash, and I'm happy with that. I've wrapped it up and put it in my bureau, I'll try to leave it there for a couple of months at least. I still have the third sift to press, and maybe a fourth too.

For anyone interested, I used cellophane oven bag material for the pressing, and it was really good - easy to pull apart from the resin and didn't leave too much residue behind on it. No tearing either, which can happen with baking paper. Overall, I'm happy - considering it's a single screen sift, from mostly just leaf material, using an unknown screen mesh (probably 150u but who knows) and being my first attempt. I'm sure it will be a nice smoke/vape experience regardless :)

large.420b21c6-8f77-497c-b301-28e785d2e785.jpglarge.9500c1f9-ffe3-4b71-90c9-eb79607e85b1.jpglarge.bc8bff77-d4d4-4243-a846-b6eb90310d3c.jpglarge.50af0c97-86c4-4976-afb5-4bb00481a6d6.jpg

• Like 11

Nice!

It can be hard for loads of different reasons, different strains make different consistency for a start.

If you tear the piece of hash in half and look at the torn faces with a magnifying glass you get a good idea of how clean it is.

• Like 3

Just now, inceywinceyspider said:

Nice!

It can be hard for loads of different reasons, different strains make different consistency for a start.

If you tear the piece of hash in half and look at the torn faces with a magnifying glass you get a good idea of how clean it is.

Thanks dude. TBH I'm not even sure if it's tearable lol Anyway, I'm just going to leave it be now and come back to it at another time - see if the ageing process does it any good.

• Like 2