Coco Nutes

Tippers75

Hi all,

I've just started my second grow and as usual I've gone at it like a bull in a China shop and have chosen to go down the coco route without any research!! Tbh I thought I could just use coco like soil apart from having to feed from the offset! 

I am new to growing in a tent, with LEDs, auto flowers and coco! I have just finished my 1st plant and plan to continue. My main issue is I done my grow in soil and when I purchased my nutes I purchased them with this in mind and went for Bio-Bizz. They do state that their nutes are suitable for growing in coco but after seeing a few threads in here it seems they are not great for coco at all!!! The bundle i have acquired has cost me about £100 so far so I'm reluctant to buy something else especially as they state its ok for coco. So just for this grow I will continue to use what I have and will see how I get on. Moving forward what coco nutes come highly recommended for both value and quality?

I have 2 seeds on the go from RQS both in their first week.

1X Royal Critical 12.5l Air Pot 70/30 coco/perl

1X Northern Lght 9ltr Air Pot 70/30 coco/perl

I germinated them in tissue and after 24hrs of sprouting I planted them straight into their final pot  as this is the best method with autos but yet again it seems this isn't standard practice with coco-coir!  They did surface 2 days later and at the moment they look fine buts its only been 3 days since. I've been feeding/misting the coco-coir with 3ml/l bio-bizz root juice and 2ml/l bio-bizz bio heaven. 

Please advise on nutes for future use and if I should take any urgent steps to ensure my babies get a good start! Also should I be thinking of using some mycorrhizal fungi too?

If need be I could attempt repotting in another substrate or make a coco peat mix so I don't have to worry as much about my nutes! But if I do the sooner the better as the tap root won't be that deep yet....

• Like 2

Just now, Tippers75 said:

That sounds far to easy! lol

large.20220602_101042_copy_1200x2667.jpg

well its all this has had + a few shots of PK14/15   .... i never said its easy. :beer:

• Like 8

Wow they look very healthy indeed! What light are you using?

it looks healthy bach im using 810 watts shared between 3 plants that pic is almost 1 plant see. :yes:

• Like 1

Well if its just an A&B solution I need then I think I can stretch to that! After spending that much on the bio-bizz I was reluctant to start obtaining a whole new set. 

I'm going to see whats available, any brands I need to avoid and are there any good organic options? 

Great effort! 

• Like 1

Well if its just an A&B solution I need then I think I can stretch to that! After spending that much on the bio-bizz I was reluctant to start obtaining a whole new set. 

I'm going to see whats available, any brands I need to avoid and are there any good organic options? 

Great effort! 

my only advice is butt... slowly slowly catch E  monkey  :yes:  good luck on your venture. :hippy:

• Like 2

I feel an experiment coming on. I'll source some canna and I'll feed one on the bio-bizz and the other on Canna A&B and start a diary to show progress. :skin_up:

• Like 1

Hi, I agree with @thekingofobsolete keep it simple.

Having said that, I grow Autos in Coco, using 25L airpots. Allegedly this combo gives you the perfect water/air ratio in the root zone. Dont bother with Perlite, it will alter that ratio, and just float to the top.

I plant directly in Coco to avoid any transplant stress, and give them a good start.... any kind of stress with Autos will slow things down and affect the final outcome.

I use House and Garden nutes, with a couple of extras thrown in...

- Cal-Mag - essential of you're using LEDs especially on a 24 hour on schedule.

- Roots Excellurator (or any kind of root stim - big roots = big buds)

- Multizyme (an enzyme is a good idea to clear up any dead roots and convert them to usable feed for the plants)

and in flower I add:

-PK 13/14 for one week, 4 weeks before harvest

-Bud XL and Bud Candy (the plant needs loads of sugars to build buds)

I regularly get Autos to yield 10 ounces plus per plant, some have come in at 18 to 20 ounces.... hard sticky bud.

Here's 3 plants at day 77, Banana Blaze in front, Lemon Kix back left and Orange Bud back right in a 1.2m x 1.2m wide, 2m high tent, each has a 400W Skyline LED, just cropped them last weekend.

large.62b32392a6f62_day77group2.JPG

Good luck!

Edited by teehee
  • Like 11

I also just use canna Coco a+b and rhizotonic 

large.20220510_190602.jpg

But listen to @teehee if you want some.monsters :D

Edited by rolio
  • Like 8

Interesting thread. I too must've spent nearly £150 on nutrients that others barely touch. Boost being the main cost then cannazym. 

Was told all I need it canna A&B with some rhizo to help roots get started and nothing more. Oh and a little calmag if problems rise but let the plants dictate and don't just use willy nilly. 

Seeing some pics without using additives like above does help though 

Edited by Darknight420710
  • Like 3

10 hours ago, Tippers75 said:

any brands I need to avoid

not avoid per se, but for coco you will be best feeding with a coco-specific nute

its important as coco can be finicky with some of the elements in the feed

a coco nute will say it on the front of the bottle, like 'coco a&b'

do you have any calmag in ur bio bizz collection? you might need some. I personally wouldn't bother with any other additives, 'cept perhaps some root stim for the 1st few weeks

mystic

• Like 2

I dont get how biobizz will work in coco. We had a shop demo from the canna guys recently and the way coco coir and a/b work together, it just doesn't seem possible.

Just buy coco specific A/B and get your environment right.

• Like 7

@mysticriver thanks for reply. I know I've seen people slate Bio-Bizz, I'm sure these people have theses concerns for a reason but Bio-Bizz do state it works well in Coco they even sell Coco and encourage its use, 

I really appreciate the advice and I have already ordered canna coco a&b and yes I do have cal-mag in my collection. I live in a soft water area so cal-mag is always handy to have close by! I generally add 0.5ml/L every other feed just as a preventive measure. 

I am still tempted to keep one of them growing with bio-bizz and the other on Cana. If I start having issues I can always change over to cana. I've invested a lot of time and money building my nute collection and refuse to believe they would risk their reputation by claiming amazing results using their feed in cooc-coir. Im a big advocate for anything organic hence investing in the Bio-Bizz brand! 

I was planning on putting the Northern Lights outside as I only needed 1 plant for my tent (I plant 1 auto a month so I can crop 1 a month) so.... I can use her to test the nutes in coco. After all that's why I started this hobby so I could experiment with different varieties and growing techniques. Sometimes we just have to learn for ourselves! Lol. Although some will say I NEVER LEARN!! :bangin:

Judging by the pictures @teehee @rolio posted in this thread it seems I've come across the right people to ask!! Well done guys they look amazing!! And I fully intend on following your advice and its greatly appreciated. As mentioned Cana on order and tonight I'll order the Rhizo and some form of boost too. 

How are you all applying feed? Are you mainly just watering by hand or are you using some form of a hydro watering system? 

• Like 2