Sweettooths Hash Adventure

sweettooth

Trim and popcorn buds have been building up. Usual practice is to send it off to a "friend" that would produce shatter with his closed loop chemistry lab and then make slabs of butter with the left over material but loosing 50% is proper harsh. Looked at butane extraction systems but missus doesn't want the possible danger and solvents in the house, thought about dry sifting but possibly too much excess plant material will get mixed in so bubble hash it is. Done the ice water method years ago, small amounts, didn't press or apply heat, just crumbled the pollen into spliffs. The dry ice method looks really appealing so that's the plan Stan.

Bubble bags on order.. 75, 160 and 220 microns. Plastic paint scrapers and plexiglass tray also on order.

I've got 1.5kg of trim and lower buds bone dry and crumbled up ready to go.

I'm thinking a 5kg bag of dry ice pellets should do the job so once all the other equipment has arrived and a weekend I don't have the kids.... dry ice will be ordered and its game time :thumsup:

One question though....... how to finish it? I've read about bagging it and putting in boiling water or wrapping in baking sheet and hot rolling pin?

I'd love to hear the best way of pressing those hash blocks before I start and if there's any other equipment I need.

Love to learn from the best, I see a lot of tasty pressed hash on this site... Im all ears.

Watch this space for the upcoming hash attack

• Like 7

following with interest but how did you know Im called Stan? long time whie widow but recently Bubba Island Kush  convert.

Edited by mudman123
extra info
  • Like 1

1.5kg of dry trim, jesus christ haha! I'd do the Frenchy method personally, hot water wine bottle, pressure and a bit of elbow grease. Make up some nice little temple balls and cure 'em for a few months :)

I've read that the dry ice bish bash bosh method can also introduce a fair amount of plant material into the mix, although if you're going through several grades of mesh I'm sure it'd be absolutely fine. Looking forward to seeing what you get!

• Like 2

Also, you say losing 50% is harsh... doesn't making hash give you something like a 10% return in weight? Am I barking up the wrong plant?

lol

Isn't using dry ice in your bags, without water, basically dry sift or tumbling anyways ????

Before you fork out for the dry ice, I'd put some tunes on and wander about the house like Bez with his maracas and see what you can shake out of the trim with the mixing bag first.

Adding dry ice will yield more, and be quicker but will also introduce moar contaminant.

After having a go at that, I bought a tumbler to do the hard work  ;)lol

And you can then further refine the collection with more screens afters, if you want 

• Like 2

Just now, Hippie on hill said:

lol

Isn't using dry ice in your bags, without water, basically dry sift or tumbling anyways ????

Aye n no as far as I can make out tho not having tried dry ice I can't say fer sure but it's one I plan to try in the future tho :yep:

ive done the dry ice method and like the others said theres a bit of contaminant in it usually. it also gets pretty boring shaking bag after bloody bag till your arm feels like its gonna fall off. 

i would be going for the mini washing machine, a la Frenchy Canoli, especially with a kilo and a half to do.

check out hiis yootoob vids, he really was the kiddo for hash.

• Like 5

Just now, badbillybob said:

ive done the dry ice method and like the others said theres a bit of contaminant in it usually. it also gets pretty boring shaking bag after bloody bag till your arm feels like its gonna fall off. 

i would be going for the mini washing machine, a la Frenchy Canoli, especially with a kilo and a half to do.

Yeah, I've watched his videos over and over. He certainly knew his onions. I've got some trim coming to me next week, I had wanted to do the whole bubble bag/wash method, but I don't think it's very practical for me with my home situation. Far more discreet for me to sit out in my shed at night with a couple of sifting screens and quietly get the job done. Someday though, I'd love to get my hands on a mini-washer and do the full process, a la Frenchy.

Trouble with the washing machines now is a lot of them get poor reviews with water leaking in to the motors.

I would just split the 1.5kg in to multiple buckets, stir each one for a minute gently and repeat the process 5 or so times then just pour the buckets through the bags.

You don't need a hell of a lot of agitation, green contaminants can really ruin a good hash.

• Like 4

I think old trim makes top quality dry sift as the resin is more cured. I just use the one screen 43t and a light touch for the first pass makes really really nice hash.

large.Resizer_16564545823361.jpg

• Like 11

22 hours ago, Hashslag said:

Also, you say losing 50% is harsh... doesn't making hash give you something like a 10% return in weight? Am I barking up the wrong plant?

by loosing I meant he takes half of the shatter. not anymore.

12 hours ago, badbillybob said:

now you mention it, watching the vids of the shaking is boring, might just get a plasterers mixer for my drill and use that to agetate it up with iced water 

Bags arrived today, on the hunt for a mold and a press, been looking at the dabpress mold and a paper press (only 60 quid and has 2000lb of pressure).

Gonna watch a few cannoli vids and wise myself up. Next weekend I reckon, kids are here now, got to stock up on ice too, maybe run my freezer down so I can fit the massive bag of trim in the freezer before the big wash

10 hours ago, inceywinceyspider said:

I think old trim makes top quality dry sift as the resin is more cured. I just use the one screen 43t and a light touch for the first pass makes really really nice hash.

large.Resizer_16564545823361.jpg

looks yummy. my material is a mixture of old and fresh so should get some great colours and flavours 

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

It's finally arrived!!!!!

large.20220723_114919.jpg

Already got the bubblebagdude 220 micron bag to go inside and some finer micron sized bags. All ready to make some hash. Gonna hit this up later, off to get more ice

• Like 5

Just now, sweettooth said:

Already got the bubblebagdude 220 micron bag to go inside

I never bother with a bag inside the washing machine. Never had an issue and I think it helps agitate the herb better without. The first couple of bags (220 & 160) catch the contaminants and I never have an issue draining the machine at the end. 

Good luck. Whilst a bit of a ball ache the results never disappoint and it's quite exciting to see what you can produce.

• Like 1

and we are live......

large.20220723_164716.jpg

large.20220723_170214.jpglarge.20220723_170629.jpg

Washer set to 10 mins, 50L bucket ready with a 220, 160 and 75 micron bags. reckon I've got 500g in there. bag was about 2.5kg

Edited by sweettooth
  • Like 9