Semi autos

Creed

Just now, Erbman T said:

It sounds like an interesting but mysterious strain 

Yeah can't be sure of exact lineage, I was thinking could be mighty mite in there but recently heard that apparently reeferman said it was Love potion x  Nepalese (which doesn't sound too far fetched)  Whatever it is, its a good example of a 'semi auto' (or whatever a better term would be), in that it isn't day neutral (autoflowering) but can act like it is under certain conditions. Ofcourse the ability to flower during short nights outdoors is a big bonus to outdoor growing at our latitude, which is why I've been working with the line. But you may find with yours that they have very low resistance to septoria.  Not a problem in all areas, but if it is in yours, you can bet the UEL will suffer.   Hope they do well for you .  

Edited by Amarillo slim
  • Like 3

17 minutes ago, Amarillo slim said:

Hope they do well for you

Cheers

I probably should give them a whirl or they might just sit there. I keep looking at the packet then keep putting them to one side and sowing more fem seeds instead for my upcoming planned July assault. As I wasn’t sure about the things we discussed above I.e will they trigger due to photoperiod or not, plus them being regs, was an unknown plus potentially double doom situation for me to risk. 

But now you mention you take cuts of UEL aswell. So that’s opened even more options up for me potentially. Cause I was thinking if it’s a ticking clock from germination then there’s no point in cuts. 

Also the rootbound flowering thing is something I’ve been wondering about in recent times too. And you’ve confirmed it. I suspected but wasn’t sure if it’s a thing. Like I say. My Whitey Freeze cuts seem to do this plus the Malawi somewhat. Where I can keep Tropicana Poison FV and Red Mandarine FV pretty root bound as a cutting and they still stay properly in veg mode. With no excessive pre flower production or reveg issue.

I would have said pretty much the same thing Mindsoup said as a definition  if I were to try and explain semi auto/fast version to someone else. I thought an auto had to be involved in the mix. 

So yeah learning a lot on this thread, so cheers for starting it OP. 

I’ve only been aware of what they calling ‘fast’ or ‘semi auto’ strains since 2020. Though I have utilised many of them since in multiple indoor runs, and noticed the ones I’ve been growing from RGSC & Sweet Seeds pretty much act like photoperiods overall. 

Though something else I’ve kinda noticed is... they seem to have reduced yields when compared to many full photoperiod strains. Not sure if this is true of all of the semi autos/fasts. Well as we have discussed on here. The term is quite broad it seems. I have found Mighty Gold BX1 seemed to produce the largest yields indoors from the batch of semi autos I’ve run. I thought I’d seen someone mention somewhere the reduced yields is due to the involvement of auto genetics in the mix.. 

But yeah semi auto doesn’t mean what I thought it did or necessarily mean it will act like I thought they are meant to act across the board.

Long tings

cheers   

Edited by Erbman T
  • Like 2

P.s no one listen to me about the root bound thing. Listen to Slim or Brock. Just my observations and ponderings. Maybe some full photodependant varieties may show signs of flowering if excessively root bound. Might be as much about variety/strain being more susceptible to this than semi auto or not.

also in regards to firearms. Slight correction. Many fully automatic assault rifles/sub machine guns etc can be switched between semi automatic fire and fully automatic fire. There’s usually a switch to switch between modes. Say for instance the SA80 or Heckler and Koch. Semi auto isn’t a type of fire arm but it’s capabilities. Some only have the one mode. And others  have both. So remember that when the rippers come. Short controlled bursts deals with most issues  

Edited by Erbman T
  • Like 1

I too find the whole semi auto / fast version situation totally confusing - this year I'm growing both MAFF and DFG by real gorilla seeds the sales blurb for which mention that they get their semi auto ability from the mighty mite but how do you get it to auto? I've initiated mine into flowering by keeping them in the dark for 12 hours but that's exploiting it's photo period traits - nothing to do with any auto characteristics - I just don't get it - fast and semi auto aren't helpful terms at all. 

All I want is a photo period that will start to flower at the end of June at lat 51 and be ready to harvest at the end of August - is that really too much to ask for? :)

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Erbman T said:

P.s no one listen to me about the root bound thing. Listen to Slim or Brock. Just my observations and ponderings. Maybe some full photodependant varieties may show signs of flowering if excessively root bound. Might be as much about variety/strain being more susceptible to this than semi auto or not.

also in regards to firearms. Slight correction. Many fully automatic assault rifles/sub machine guns etc can be switched between semi automatic fire and fully automatic fire. There’s usually a switch to switch between modes. Say for instance the SA80 or Heckler and Koch. 

You're on the right track bro.

Lines get blurred at times. Like bringing a mountain indica seeds down to the valley and them expressing sativa traits. 

Exposure and evolution cause canna to do all kind of things .

Imagine sativas that grow where it's 12/12 nearly all the time. If there's no real loss of light, are they really acting on photoperiod or expressing a similar trait to Autos but at 12/12 with long veg.. maybe the Auto trait we know is a mutation of this gene that occurred when seeds were moved to zones with short summer and wider luminance ranges like Siberia .

alternatively, they can sense the changes in season down to humidity and wetness and that will trigger in some cases like in the equatorial tropics.

Anyway, I got a firearms ban so I won't get into that other version of semi autos . :pitchfork:

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Roofless won said:

I too find the whole semi auto / fast version situation totally confusing - this year I'm growing both MAFF and DFG by real gorilla seeds the sales blurb for which mention that they get their semi auto ability from the mighty mite but how do you get it to auto? I've initiated mine into flowering by keeping them in the dark for 12 hours but that's exploiting it's photo period traits - nothing to do with any auto characteristics - I just don't get it - fast and semi auto aren't helpful terms at all. 

All I want is a photo period that will start to flower at the end of June at lat 51 and be ready to harvest at the end of August - is that really too much to ask for? :)

Flowering at the end of June is a BIG ask from a photo mate,  even so called fast versions are normally only 1 to 2 wks ahead of a normal photo in flowering terms from my own humble experiences.   Summer solstice isnt until nearly  the end of June so triggering for flower is a huge ask unless you poss go light dep to start them and even then if you stop and we get a late sunny spell its game over.    Poss run some autos or XL autos to hedge your bets and let the photos do their thing when the daylight hours set them off ?     Just my observations and by no means a dig mate :yep:        I am strictly outdoors and always have been ,  i do 2 auto runs combined with light dep & full temr fems to try hedge my bets , got my method nailed down and my system works for me across the year for staggered harvest ,  with our shite summers its the only method i can use to ensure i get fully cooked out end product home safely with no dramas and a healthy amber spread across the mains.    

• Like 4

@OldFord that last paragraph was intended to be humourous - obviously I'm not as funny as I thought I was - I should have added that I would also like at least 100g from each plant and that each plant grows no more than 60cms tall.

The rest of the post was serious - why call a early flowering photo period like the DFG or MAFF a semi auto? What is the auto flowering gene from mighty mite bringing to the party because I don't get it.....

• Like 2

Just now, Roofless won said:

@OldFord that last paragraph was intended to be humourous - obviously I'm not as funny as I thought I was - I should have added that I would also like at least 100g from each plant and that each plant grows no more than 60cms tall.

The rest of the post was serious - why call a early flowering photo period like the DFG or MAFF a semi auto? What is the auto flowering gene from mighty mite bringing to the party because I don't get it.....

Its all good mate ,  im medicating at present and even typing's a struggle let alone detecting humour lol     I believe the semi auto is a loose term,  in my experience with other lesser breeders ... it generally means ... " we put so little work into these beans than some may auto flower and some wont " lol   

Fast version is another ,  you may get 1 or 2 weeks earlier flowering motion than a standard fem , great but its not a guarantee. 

Paniks gear is on point and im guessing they will trigger the 1 or 2 wks ahead of the normal fems.     

Easiest way is to ask the man himself the question :yep:    A technical & good all round guy ,  im sure he can explain.  

• Like 1

14 hours ago, CheechChongReturns said:

I'd hold fast photo for a hyperphotosensitivite plant. 

I guess some equatorial NLDs would count and hyperphotosentive? Relying on a small change in light hours + other environmental cues to initiate flowering. But they wouldn't flower under longer days..   And I'm not sure how well the term would fit the UEL which is flowering under 24hours light indoors? At that point its clearly not responding to a photoperiod...  Obviously there will be early photoperiods which are just displaying a higher degree of photosensitivity, which wouldn't necessarily qualify as a semi-auto.. 

14 hours ago, CheechChongReturns said:

But like you say, it ain't up to us to coun the terms .

Nothing wrong with coming up with new terms if they are useful.  Even something like autoflowering is just a term someone came up with in the canna world. You won't see that in reference to any other species or in science books. But its arguably more self explanatory and easy to use for most growers than 'day neutral'...  Maybe semi-autos could be called 'day nonconforming' varieties lol  

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Erbman T said:

Cause I was thinking if it’s a ticking clock from germination then there’s no point in cuts. 

It's not quite as simple as that IMHO. The 'clock' may tick, but it doesn't run on human time. It seems it's measuring more the stage of development of the plant. So even if the cut is from a full autoflower, if a cut is taken during veg it may not flower at the same time as the mother. Lots of variables including strain, but with luck the clone will veg for a while before the 'clock' tells it it's ready to flower. 

Edited by Crow River
  • Like 3

9 hours ago, Roofless won said:

All I want is a photo period that will start to flower at the end of June at lat 51

Sounds like you should give these ‘new’ (new to me) autos a go. So far I’m impressed with them… there much bigger than what I thought autos grew to. I’m not at harvest yet tho. I will be keeping a record of weights per individual plant to assess how how much space I want to take up with them next season… 

One downside I’m feeling about them so far is they require more watering thus more visits (making more visable trails). Due to using coco in the mix to help with their roots 

Edited by Erbman T
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, Erbman T said:

Sounds like you should give these ‘new’ (new to me) autos a go. So far I’m impressed with them

I already run a few early auto's - I started them in early April - I expect to harvest them sometime in July - don't like to keep all my eggs in the same basket but I definitely prefer photos - you can really go to town on messing around with them without having to worry about it. 

• Like 2

Just now, Roofless won said:

don't like to keep all my eggs in the same basket

Defo. I’m running Autos, Semi’s and Full photos 

what autos are you running ?

2 hours ago, Erbman T said:

what autos are you running ?

Just some super cheap Northern lights I had left from last year - they weren't great last year and I don't expect them to be great this year either but it's fine - if I grow again next year I might try something a bit better 

My main grow this year is the DFG/ MAFF experiment 

Edited by Roofless won
Eta
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, Roofless won said:

Northern lights

I love things with Northern Lights in. Think it’s why I’m in love with this Malawi strain. The best thing I smoked back when, was Northern Lights #5 x Haze by Sensi Seeds. Makes me think I should get some beans of it as I’ve never grown it. 

cool, I’d like to try MAFF to. I grumbled a bit last year when my DFG Bx1 flowered a lot later than I was expecting. When I looked at diaries. Like one of@Tommy tucker’s from a few years back, the original DFG before the Bx1 seemed to be starting flowering way earlier like in July in his diary if I remember right. But seems there are so many variables, environmental etc and can be other factors. Hence some peeps did get a much earlier flowering than me with DFG last year.

I’ve popped a few more DFG Bx1 in recent days. Saw a root poking out on one of them earlier today. Plus got a few mutant reveg’er DFG’s at one spot ha

The semi autos seem to be much earlier than strains that use to get called ‘early’ a decade or so ago….  That’s why I gave up trying GG back then… cause the shit weather would come even before they’d even got going flowering wise back then. That was my experience. 

So bring on the semi auto / fast versions (early triggering ones)