Semi autos

Creed

Afternoon guys,

Can anyone advise me on when I should expect a semi auto to flower? What is the difference between auto and semi auto? I have 2 ladies out this year both the same strain,both started at the same time. One seems slightly further ahead of the other and one has started to flower and the other hasn't. I wanted an early finisher which was my thinking behind trying a semi auto strain but I feel I've been robbed of a few weeks of veg time. Can anyone help on this matter? 

Many thanks.

• Like 1

Do you mean "super" autos? Ones with longer than normal veg periods?

I grow a lot of Dutch Passion strains, and many are classed as super autos.

The difference is usually 5 - 7 week veg, instead of 3 - 5 weeks.

However, you will always get some phenotypes that flower earlier than others.

I suggest you get in touch with the supplier, tell them you wanted the longer veg time and are unhappy with the fast flowering.

They may offer you a replacement. Good luck!

• Like 2

A semi auto is a mix of photo and auto, otherwise known as fast versions. They are still photo dependant but they will trigger into flower with fewer dark hours than some pure photo dependant strains, I've never been good at keeping track of time, but I'd expect they'll usually start to flower about 4 weeks after solstice or so, maybe mid July.

Sometimes a semi auto/fv will just be a full auto that might be what's happened with yours

Edited by MindSoup
  • Like 4

22 minutes ago, MindSoup said:

A semi auto is a mix of photo and auto, otherwise known as fast versions.

While these kind of crosses can produce plants which fit the term, thats not really the meaning of it.  Most things i'd call semi auto are not autoflower hybrids. 

• Like 2

Dang it, I don't think I'll ever get my head round this breading lark lol

OP ignore my clueless rambling lol

• Like 1

Just now, MindSoup said:

Dang it, I don't think I'll ever get my head round this breading lark lol

OP ignore my clueless rambling lol

If you keep working with the same seed(s) and cut(s) you'll get more familiar with certain traits than other folks . Qualities that may suit ,or suit someone else . The list is long ,and other folks will be working with different plants too . Really ,we need folks making crosses to keep lineages alive . 

I have to make a few hacks because I can't get seed ,won't arrive most often .God be with the days eh ,before Brexit and the extra red tape . 

• Like 3

Semi auto is too misleading imho .

Especially when you get into all the possible triggers for flowering.

Should call Autos with long veg - long Autos and fast photos just fast photos .

Photo x Auto crosses be named as such , with the caveat of their generation (f1,f2) .

Super and semi feel more like sales terminology.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, CheechChongReturns said:

fast photos just fast photos .

Hindu kush is a fast photoperiod, but thats a world away from the UEL mother I have which goes into flower under 24hours of light the moment it fills a pot. Plenty of examples of varieties that are best described by the term semi-auto. Moroccan, lebanese or highland nepalese landraces, mighty mite derivatives, lot of the danish stuff (think Hybrids from hell) Auto offie etc.. All semi autoflowering, but not autoflower hybrids, or simply fast photoperiods. 

The term has been in use long before 'super auto' or 'fast versions', and isn't the same as either.  

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Amarillo slim said:

the UEL mother I have which goes into flower under 24hours of light the moment it fills a pot

I’ve x10 UEL reg seeds. I received them free when I bought my Essex Gold seeds. I was chatting to a fella. I said I might try and sex them indoor first then take cuts of the females to put out so I can avoid males.

He then told me they begin flowering in 3 months time from when they go into the soil so my plan of cuttings might not be a good one. I’ve heard you mention someone called Arnold (is it?) who’s line of UEL are  good. I’m not sure if they are his version of UEL. I should ask them really, do you know if it is it right what he said about the 3 months? I’ve pretty much abandoned the idea of putting them out this season now as males are undesirable to my needs. Too much extra work. But I’m still tempted 

Interesting what you said about it flowers when it fills the pot. Do you have to trim the roots to keep it as a mother/to stop it flowering  ?  Are they photoperiod dependant at all ? 

I found my cuttings of Whitey Freeze seem to start flowering from being root bound. And most don’t want to go back to veg

info on UEL is helpful as maybe I might still stick them out. 

Cheers 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Amarillo slim said:

Hindu kush is a fast photoperiod, but thats a world away from the UEL mother I have which goes into flower under 24hours of light the moment it fills a pot. Plenty of examples of varieties that are best described by the term semi-auto. Moroccan, lebanese or highland nepalese landraces, mighty mite derivatives, lot of the danish stuff (think Hybrids from hell) Auto offie etc.. All semi autoflowering, but not autoflower hybrids, or simply fast photoperiods. 

The term has been in use long before 'super auto' or 'fast versions', and isn't the same as either.  

You should have quoted my whole post and you would notice in the first lines where I mention triggers. 

Just like root restriction and hyperphotosensitivity .

Not to sit here listing them all , but once again in my humble opinion I feel the term semi auto is misleading... Simple . 

Nothing to argue with . 

• Like 1

@Erbman T you should easy be able to sex them around by 6 weeks indoors.  

10 minutes ago, Erbman T said:

Do you have to trim the roots to keep it as a mother/to stop it flowering  ? 

A case of having to keep potting up, taking cuttings etc, its a ball ache for sure.  

10 minutes ago, Erbman T said:

Are they photoperiod dependant at all ? 

Yes. If I dropped the hours no amount of potting up would keep them in a vegative state.  

Just now, CheechChongReturns said:

You should have quoted my whole post and you would notice in the first lines where I mention triggers. 

I read the whole post

Just now, CheechChongReturns said:

I feel the term semi auto is misleading... Simple . 

Fair enough. But 'fast photo' is hardly an improvement. 

Until there's some better terminology then semi-auto (how ever misleading it might be to some people) is best we've got.  

E2a: Im not a massive fan of the term either to be fair lol 

Edited by Amarillo slim
  • Like 3

Just now, Amarillo slim said:

Yes. If I dropped the hours no amount of potting up would keep them in a vegative state.

This helps, because of him saying it flowers in 3 months. I wondered if it acts like an auto therefore it might not be suitable for a late plant out as might begin flowering too late 

hehe does sound like a ball ache. I’ve only just entered into the realm of root trimming to Keep mothers. Also to keep cuttings in smaller pots for longer periods until I need them, so not to take up extra precious tent space 

It sounds like an interesting but mysterious strain 

• Like 2

Just now, Amarillo slim said:

@Erbman T

Fair enough. But 'fast photo' is hardly an improvement. 

Until there's some better terminology then semi-auto (how ever misleading it might be to some people) is best we've got.  

E2a: Im not a massive fan of the term either 

We're almost agreeing here. 

I'd hold fast photo for a hyperphotosensitivite plant. 

But like you say, it ain't up to us to coun the terms .

Erbman sorry you got tagged, couldn't take you out the quote for some reason 

Edited by CheechChongReturns
  • Like 1

Semi auto is a type of firearm that you only have to cock once at the beginning before firing. Once you’ve  squeezed all the rounds out inna single shot stylee. You only have to cock the weapon again when your magazine is depleted of rounds and you wish to continue firing after you’ve stuck a fresh mag in  

boom boom 

• Like 2

I kept two different Nieuw Dame Blanche cuts going for maybe two years ,some others too and a few that weren't so fast to initiate /photoperiods half overwintered and managed to re-veg just like above ,you have to keep potting them on . 

Plants grown way up North where the light hours are longer but season shorter ,and way down at equatorial level act very differently ,so it's a great mix ,along with the potbound triggering ,hunger triggering plants or other environmental factors . 

I remember the old Hindu Kush from Nirvana (2003/4) ,but only grew it two seasons and a few plants . Also the years were better than others but it was a great plant ,airy enough and early .Tasty flowers too . On wet ,duller years it may have been crap ,I don't know it's all a gamble . You might find a batch of autos to lean a little toward the photoperiod or photoperiod plants to stay in veg on 14-15 hours of light ,might or might not flower when rootbound . Lots of variables ,as they say . 

• Like 4