alternate to ecothrive coco lite 70/30

mysticriver

21 hours ago, J.C said:

I've had problems every run I've ever done

ive grown 1 decent plant, a stardawg auto, in 12 months

its got to the stage where I cant imagine it going right

is it too much to ask that I can grow 8-or-so plants that keep their dark green and healthy patina all the way through flower

if it wasn't for the reasonably healthy 'dawg, I wouldn't be holding much hope

*please - im silently praying that this whole time its been the coco thats is the problem, so now ive changed it at last, its a big point in the narrowing-down process. fcuk me if it happens again I will be at a total loss, because I dont know what else I can change... I changed the actual air this last time - thinking it must be causing the issue somehow and it still happened, which lets face it, is what it would do if it was the coco

mystic

1 hour ago, mysticriver said:

*please - im silently praying that this whole time its been the coco thats is the problem, so now ive changed it at last, its a big point in the narrowing-down process. fcuk me if it happens again I will be at a total loss, because I dont know what else I can change... I changed the actual air this last time - thinking it must be causing the issue somehow and it still happened, which lets face it, is what it would do if it was the coco

Its not like we haven't discussed that the ecothrive coir isn't buffered properly. You're probably fucking the entire buffer up by soaking it in cal-mag, at a ratio that probably isn't conducive to your water no less, when its been pointed out a few times in differen't threads that a couple of feeds at a bit higher EC (0.2 in my case) is more than enough to fulfil that buffer deficit. 

Not to mention the fact you're using 70/30 and hand watering, so you're probably never ever getting enough water through your plants, especially if you're only watering them once per day till run off. It's barely enough in pure coir, so I'm baffled why you think it isn't contributing to your problem? (what with you proceeding to buy ANOTHER brand of coco/perlite, after advice to the contrary) It feels like you're complicating beans on toast.

• Like 6

On 30/06/2022 at 11:09 AM, mysticriver said:

the ecothrive lite 70/30, along with the 8no orange diesel 10-day-old seedlings, in there 12L fabric pots, have last night seen the business side of a bin

100L jiffy pro7 70/30 on its way + new pots

8 do-si-dos auto's into a glasss of water

im starting again as the issue has still shown itself. I had a few options, the 1st was to leave it and hope that it might be ok, but ive done that for the last few grows and especially the last one, it ended with a brown and crispy canopy, and like 20-odd zips I cant do much with, so thats not really an option at all

the 2nd option would have been to aggressively flush the coco out, but I was struggling to think how I could do that easily without killing off the seedlings. it would have req'd me to lift the fabric pot into the bathtub, and flush it with, I dont know, 20+ L of water, completely flush everything out of it so there's only water coming out the bottom. however, id already ran ~8L water through it at the start to pre-soak the coco before planting, always do, wasn't sure how much it would need - figured around 20L to flush it all clear, with the seedling in there, 8 plants, 160L of careful pouring so as not to upset the seedling(s)..... nah and even after that would it have been ok? I dunno. still an unknown. didn't like the unknown. people on here with the same prob have flushed it all through and it was then ok, but its still an unknown

and the 3rd option is the 1 I have taken, as im sick of this situation like none of you would believe. ive grown 1 decent plant in 12 moon. changed everything. guy above says its my environment and that im fucking them up with my feed? wtf. I dont think so. granted, ive not explained everything that ive done over the last 12 months, but its not that

Here is my take on the situation!!

the ecothrive lite 70/30, along with the 8no orange diesel 10-day-old seedlings, in there 12L fabric pots, have last night seen the business side of a bin - Sounds like the best place for them unfortunately!

100L jiffy pro7 70/30 on its way + new pots - Send it back and go the pure coco route, there is a lot of proof of it working well here.

8 do-si-dos auto's into a glasss of water - maybe don't do so many until you have your shit dialled in, its just extra time, effort and money in the bin if it goes wrong.

20-odd zips I cant do much with - Hash it or make edibles, whatever you get will be better than 20 zips of shit weed

and the 3rd option is the 1 I have taken, as im sick of this situation like none of you would believe. ive grown 1 decent plant in 12 moon. changed everything. guy above says its my environment and that im fucking them up with my feed? wtf. I dont think so. granted, ive not explained everything that ive done over the last 12 months, but its not that - Maybe its time to change your complete strategy and change tack! There is so much to learn on here I think sometimes people can get overwhelmed or just try to do way too much and overcompensate and basically just fuck it up. I've grown in pure coco for years and never experienced this level of problems in fact my problems are 100% user error and down to me making mistakes. One piece of advice I have seen lots over the years is unless you know what your doing then just grow one or two plants. keep everything simple and just don't fuck with it, no training, no boosters,  supercropping or anything and just learn how she behaves and grows that way before you start modifying it. Yes it won't pull you 20 zips of amazing weed but once you have it nailed you can then increase plant numbers and just replicate exactly what you did before.

21 hours ago, GSZZ said:

You're probably fucking the entire buffer up by soaking it in cal-mag,

dont know where u got that from, as I didn't do that

and I water well till prolly about 40-50% run-off. twice-a-day in flower

u must be getting me mixed up with someone else

mystic

19 minutes ago, mysticriver said:

I water well till prolly about 40-50% run-off. twice-a-day in flower

Too much run off, you're throwing money away and still not watering enough! Are you letting them sit in the run off until full saturation, continually adding water until the pot stops taking it up? Sounds like you're giving them what YOU want rather than what THEY want.

19 minutes ago, mysticriver said:

u must be getting me mixed up with someone else

Maybe I am, but the main point still stands. You're hand watering 70/30 for what reason? *why* the perlite? 

Just now, GSZZ said:

You're hand watering 70/30 for what reason?

because im too cheap to buy an automated system, I guess

mystic

Just now, GSZZ said:

Sounds like

thats it then it must be me overwatering thats causing my seedling and shit to have a calcium deficiency...

jog on ffs

mystic

Edited by mysticriver

Just now, mysticriver said:

thats it then it must be me overwatering thats causing my seedling and shit to have a calcium deficiency...

jog on ffs

mystic

Tell you what then dude, suffer and have shit plants, keep buying 70/30 and having shit results. Nowt like getting lip on due to your own inadequacy, fucking tosser.

• Like 2

It's always best to tell one of the most knowledgeable coco growers on here to jog on when you need help lol.

I'd bet a penny to a pound it's user error if you're still getting calcium deficiencies when using ro water, you're literally in control of the cal/mag content when adding it back in. 

• Like 1

Just now, GSZZ said:

Tell you what then dude, suffer and have shit plants, keep buying 70/30 and having shit results. Nowt like getting lip on due to your own inadequacy, fucking tosser.

who's got lip on

mystic

who's got lip on

mystic

You cos ya can't even grow weed properly. Give cress on the windowsil another go :wanker:

Just now, GSZZ said:

You cos ya can't even grow weed properly.

pick ur dummy up. name caller 

mystic

Edited by mysticriver

name caller

Dont come with a sarcastic and know-it-all attitude if you can't take a bit of stick back, I'm not prepared to be spoken down to by you when I'm actually commiting some of my time trying to actually help you out, but evidently you hadn't even thought about that because your ego got too in the way over something as trivial as watering a plant correctly. 

You can't even come back with a coherent reason as to why you continue to insist on using perlite in your coir mix when you're hand watering other than "cos I'm too cheap to buy a system" - why not just use plain coco? Its cheaper than 70/30, and you can still hand watering it? 

Knuckle headed persistence over some perlite, even after being told thats why you're having these problems - and at this point the only reason I can think of is because you think you know better, in which case crack on dude keep having absolutely awful results lol

Just now, HazyDaze said:

Welcome back to civvy street fella 

what ever

mystic