alternate to ecothrive coco lite 70/30

mysticriver

im looking at changing my usual coco on the next run, from ecothrive coco lite 70/30 (with charge)

canna professional plus is what ive seen, but my question is about how it drains - as im used to 70/30 coco/perlite, is the pure coco any different in that respect?

I know a few growers on here use it and say u dont need perlite with coco

im interested to ask anyone who has used both canna coco & a 70/30 coco, and could they tell me if ill notice any difference?

oh and happy Sundays to you all...

mystic

• Like 1

Ey up @mysticriver I can’t tell you any difference as I’ve only used the canna pro. I hit the ground running with it. Really nice stuff. Drains well and doesnt compact or owt. Got lovely pearly white roots up the sides of my pots all the way up on my flowering plants so getting good air exchange down there n that. I’m no expert but the canna pro definitely works :) 

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, mysticriver said:

could they tell me if ill notice any difference?

You'll have to fertigate about 30% less for the same or better results :yep: 

• Like 5

Just now, GSZZ said:

You have to watch to not to get it too wet whilst they are young and the roots haven't yet fill the pot when using pure coco. Is that correct? I'll try it with the Jiffy stuff next year. Currently playing with Fytcocell as my testing this year, which is good but not economical and dries out faster than coco. Not seeing any visible gain over 70:30.

Edited by catweazle1

42 minutes ago, GSZZ said:

Is that because of the perlite mix draining slightly quicker, easier 

mystic

13 minutes ago, mysticriver said:

Is that because of the perlite mix draining slightly quicker, easier 

mystic

Yes. It's holding less water with perlite. So far, I've liked the speed of draining with perlite with handwatering.  I've gone from 20L to 12.5L airpots, so I'm thinking the surface area to volume ratio of 12.5L airpots might be better suited to pure coco.

Edited by catweazle1
  • Like 1

Always used canna coco. Last 3 runs I moved over to ecothrive 70/30 as read so luch about it on here. didn't see any much difference tbh except they to9k less feeding to get run off.. yes due to the perlite. went back to 100% canna last run, plants are great, slightly more feed to get same run off.

My advice is get some drippers, you'll experience much healthier plants, explosive growth and so much less hassle. Manual everyday feeding is a thing of the past now, once a week I fill the butt.

pot size wise, Im in 5L airpots and pulling great amounts.

Edited by sweettooth
  • Like 4

@catweazle1 I average 5oz a plant, had a few heavy weights pulling 8 to 9 on the last run, I'm aware a lot is down to strain. Last run is nearly finished curing, from 15 plants under a 600w led and a 700w led (1300 combined) I've so far pulled 65 and I have the lower 50% of each plant to clean up and sort out. The next 20% is OK and just requires a finer trim, the lower 30% I'm going to run through my spin bowl to chop it all up and make some bubble hash along with all the fine trim from the trim bag.

• Like 5

38 minutes ago, catweazle1 said:

@sweettooth What % or watts are you running your lights in flower? Sounds good.

lumatek 600 pro is always 100%

maxibright 1050 pro I never go above 75% as I don't have the head room.

I don't always belive bigger pots make bigger yields. most people on here try for a rolling grow which means you have typically 8 to 10 weeks between crops, enough time to take cuts, fill a 1L pot and then move to the 5L and fill that ready for flip. the airpots keep em pruned and prevent root bounded pots. I've always ran into issue with larger pots,  coco and nutes are expensive, plus I can do multiple smaller feeds and get run off and the plants really thank me for it. Can't tag fatboy anymore but taken a lot of inspiration from trying to maximise what can be done from a 1.5 x 3m tent.

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, sweettooth said:

I don't always belive bigger pots make bigger yields. 

That's what I'm thinking, with root-pruning type pots anyway. This is my first time on LED, so I have that variable to confuse the effect of smaller pots this time round.

• Like 1

also seen this -

jiffy pro7 70/30 coco/perlite

or there's also plant magic 70/30, which has a beneficial fungus mixed in to help promote root growth

the jiffy pro7 sounds like it could be a goer. not sure about the plant magic

the reason I want to change in the 1st place is im not sure if the ecothrive is contributing to the issue ive been having

mystic

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mysticriver said:

the reason I want to change in the 1st place is im not sure if the ecothrive is contributing to the issue ive been having

what is the issue. is there a thread in sick plants somewhere?