alternate to ecothrive coco lite 70/30

mysticriver

7 hours ago, mysticriver said:

also seen this -

jiffy pro7 70/30 coco/perlite

or there's also plant magic 70/30, which has a beneficial fungus mixed in to help promote root growth

the jiffy pro7 sounds like it could be a goer. not sure about the plant magic

the reason I want to change in the 1st place is im not sure if the ecothrive is contributing to the issue ive been having

mystic

The only problems coco give you is by being too dense or not buffered properly, the latter you can do. Before you use the next lot, run through or soak in some quite strong (1.2 -1.5) calmag solution overnight, then run through your normal nute solution and use. I'm using jiffy Pro7 and will stick with it. I like its fluffy texture.  As for PM saying there is 'beneficial fungus' in theirs, Trichoderma species is endemic to all coco that hasn't been sterilized. Apart from that, I'm not sure it's useful in a DTW or RTW system since it does not enter into symbiosis inside the plants roots, but rather outside and could be washed away. It's endomycorrizae you want, not ectomycorrizae for dtw/rtw coco.

Edited by catweazle1
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, sweettooth said:

is there a thread in sick plants somewhere?

there's a few over the months

mystic

17 hours ago, catweazle1 said:

I'm using jiffy Pro7

thats the 1 im going for, as im used to 70/30

something thats good quality and neutral, without the charge boost

mystic

Just now, mysticriver said:

thats the 1 im going for, as im used to 70/30

something thats good quality and neutral, without the charge boost

mystic

I use the bricks. The charge boost is a hindrance, as you say it wants to be neutral. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, sweettooth said:

what is the issue. is there a thread in sick plants somewhere?

tl;dr ive changed everything bar coco, including the environment

mystic

@mysticriver Seeing as you are trying assess where your issues are, it would be a good idea to start with a clean slate with your coco and rinse it in a pillowcase running water through it, then pour some strongish calmag through and leave it overnight. Put it in your pots, water through with your nute solution and see how that goes with your plants.

• Like 1

Just now, catweazle1 said:

@mysticriver Seeing as you are trying assess where your issues are, it would be a good idea to start with a clean slate with your coco and rinse it in a pillowcase running water through it, then pour some strongish calmag through and leave it overnight. Put it in your pots, water through with your nute solution and see how that goes with your plants.

thats cool but its too late to do that now, im at about 9 days from when they sprouted the coco

and next run im getting the neutral jiffy pro7

mystic

• Like 1

Just now, catweazle1 said:

issues

issues

its a word ive used a lot lately

it starts at about 5 or 6 days. brown spots, marks on the leaves of seedlings

they progress to the familiar Ca deficiency marks. then I have usually cut off the offending leaves with training throughout 3 & 4 weeks, and I do get a lovely dark green and healthy palette throughout veg (if there is one with auto's) and early to mid flower. really smily promising dark green

then from mid flower ill notice calcium deficiency(s) in some of the mid and lower leaves of some of the plants, but nothing that would cause any major concern as its small and localised at this point, stay like that, and were golden, I think

but that just slowly and surely gets worse to where it tajes over the whole canopy, every day I go in there I lose a little more heart and will to live, seeing more and more of those brown and getting crispy by now, leaves

to by the end of flower the whole crop is, well, toast. 8 plants. not 1 decent 1 between them

this time ive given them a fresh air feed from outside, as the constant flats occupation gives a canopy reading in the range of 1000-1200ppm co2

which apart from the coco is the last things to change, its what im monitoring right now this run. I didn't realise it about that it could be having an adverse affect until recently 

my thinking is, that the co2 is pushing them over the edge, 24/0; 24/7; led; coco [w/charge]...

and would they even need higher co2 in seedling and veg? I think no. ive still got it in reserve for late flower

its still to early to tell, as I still got some brown marks in these now - but its not that simple, as I'd added traces this run (from the start instead of in flower) which had lowered the pH to be in the acidic, 5.0 to less-than 5.0, high 4's... for like the 1st 4, 5 days, 'whoops', and that low pH can cause brown marks so I need a few more days to see how that progresses to know whether the fresh air change has made a difference at all

only happened on 3 out of 8 this time, instead of at least half, so thats an improvement

mystic

• Like 1

@mysticriver co2 wont be the issue, plus thats quite high ppm without using bottles. That aside, u say your doing autos....? I cant comment but I would ditch the autos imo, never had any luck with them, Im aware people grow some beasts but personally i think they're a headache. Plants also need darkness, don't care what people say, yes u can really push cannabis but plants DO NEED REST. Unsure what your temps are but under led u need to be aiming for at least 27. IMO, 28 to 30 is the sweet spot. Plus you need your humidity up. All of these similar issues ive corrected with high RH. and i mean up in the high 68 to 72's and i keep this throughout flower without any rot issues until the final week when ill drop it down

• Like 1

19 hours ago, sweettooth said:

co2 wont be the issue,

what do you think it is then?

mystic

2 hours ago, mysticriver said:

what do you think it is then?

mystic

environment most likely causing feeding issues which you're trying to over correct and causing bigger problems. just my 2 cents.

• Like 1

the ecothrive lite 70/30, along with the 8no orange diesel 10-day-old seedlings, in there 12L fabric pots, have last night seen the business side of a bin

100L jiffy pro7 70/30 on its way + new pots

8 do-si-dos auto's into a glasss of water

im starting again as the issue has still shown itself. I had a few options, the 1st was to leave it and hope that it might be ok, but ive done that for the last few grows and especially the last one, it ended with a brown and crispy canopy, and like 20-odd zips I cant do much with, so thats not really an option at all

the 2nd option would have been to aggressively flush the coco out, but I was struggling to think how I could do that easily without killing off the seedlings. it would have req'd me to lift the fabric pot into the bathtub, and flush it with, I dont know, 20+ L of water, completely flush everything out of it so there's only water coming out the bottom. however, id already ran ~8L water through it at the start to pre-soak the coco before planting, always do, wasn't sure how much it would need - figured around 20L to flush it all clear, with the seedling in there, 8 plants, 160L of careful pouring so as not to upset the seedling(s)..... nah and even after that would it have been ok? I dunno. still an unknown. didn't like the unknown. people on here with the same prob have flushed it all through and it was then ok, but its still an unknown

and the 3rd option is the 1 I have taken, as im sick of this situation like none of you would believe. ive grown 1 decent plant in 12 moon. changed everything. guy above says its my environment and that im fucking them up with my feed? wtf. I dont think so. granted, ive not explained everything that ive done over the last 12 months, but its not that

mystic

Just now, J.C said:

Did you get your water tested in the end?

yes but I dont use tap water any more - r/o

mystic

Ah in which case I'm not going to be much help!

Either way, keep your head up, I've had problems every run I've ever done and this one I'm on now is no different. I "think" I've just got it in the sweet spot but there are so many variables it can becom overwhelming at times

• Like 1