Best coco

JohnBudman

Whatever is cheap at the shop. Biobizz lately and I like the stuff. Haven’t seen much difference in brands, but I’m not testing for rec or med sales. No perlite. Grab the cheap bag at the shop and mix in some Azos and Mykos or something along those lines if you think you need something else in there. Best of luck with it!

• Like 1

On 19/06/2022 at 11:38 AM, JohnBudman said:

Cheers for the input all.

@mysticriver I’d seen reports of a couple coco growers on insta finding big lumps of grit in it and when they called Ecothrive out they didn’t get much response. And after reading @J.C post I’m not going to take the risk, a few of you on here say you do ok with it so maybe there’s some quality control issues going on. 

I’m switching to coco due to struggling to get soil right, and I really want this next grow to go well, having to smoke a load of swag each time one comes down it’s wearing me down lol 

I found lil tiny and quit biggish pieces/bits of quartz rock/crystal in my coco. Enough that I was wtf is this shit. First noticed it in ecothrive who I msgd on instagram to no avail. Then I switched to canna pro and that was the same contaminated with quartz rock/crystal all be it a tiny bit less it seemed.  I then tried plagron and that was also the same issue but again a bit less. I sent a msg to canna on instagram who took it seriously or seemed to at least. They sent me some goodies too to apologise. The thing is they also sent a tiny small bag of canna terra soil but wtf was in it is anyones guess. I opened it to find a load of solid rocks like massive ones and little ones too and then a massive lump of this clay like putty stuff and the rest of the “soil” looked like it was mostly dolomite lime like stuff and was almost black in colour an kinda rocky/powdery. Weird shit and  not the terra I used years ago I also found the whole situation highly ironic. They also sent some nutes (organic so useless to me who uses coco lol) and a hoody/T-shirt and hat. I never bothered contacting plagron as I gave up. 

It seems canna has gotten much less lately but it was still an issue when I purchased some in April-may this year and I notified them last year of this issue. It seems it’s a main supplier issue tho as most if not all coco sellers have this issue.

It’s jus quartz rock tho so I don’t see any real issue apart from it can maybe come with some sharp bits in it if you’re unlucky. 

I did post this on instagram to so maybe you came across one of my posts/pics. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 26/07/2022 at 3:35 PM, Grimweeder said:

I found lil tiny and quit biggish pieces/bits of quartz rock/crystal in my coco. Enough that I was wtf is this shit. First noticed it in ecothrive who I msgd on instagram to no avail. Then I switched to canna pro and that was the same contaminated with quartz rock/crystal all be it a tiny bit less it seemed.  I then tried plagron and that was also the same issue but again a bit less. I sent a msg to canna on instagram who took it seriously or seemed to at least. They sent me some goodies too to apologise. The thing is they also sent a tiny small bag of canna terra soil but wtf was in it is anyones guess. I opened it to find a load of solid rocks like massive ones and little ones too and then a massive lump of this clay like putty stuff and the rest of the “soil” looked like it was mostly dolomite lime like stuff and was almost black in colour an kinda rocky/powdery. Weird shit and  not the terra I used years ago I also found the whole situation highly ironic. They also sent some nutes (organic so useless to me who uses coco lol) and a hoody/T-shirt and hat. I never bothered contacting plagron as I gave up. 

It seems canna has gotten much less lately but it was still an issue when I purchased some in April-may this year and I notified them last year of this issue. It seems it’s a main supplier issue tho as most if not all coco sellers have this issue.

It’s jus quartz rock tho so I don’t see any real issue apart from it can maybe come with some sharp bits in it if you’re unlucky. 

I did post this on instagram to so maybe you came across one of my posts/pics. 

the quartz etc you’re seeing is most likely crystallised salt deposits. 

it happens sometimes with coco. I can’t say 100% what it is but you get them forming sometimes if you haven’t been feeding frequently enough. 

I’ve used many different brands of coco over the years. 

Started with  ATAMI BCUZZ coco which out of the bag was registering 3.2EC when plain 0.2 water was passed through it. 

used this straight out of the bag feeding at day 0. 

I’ve used canna coco pro the most. EC buffered at 1.5EC straight out of the bag it’s good to go no pre rinse or buffering requires. 

I’ve used a few other bagged coco products too but can’t remember them all. I think there was even a coco I tried from CENTURY who usually make ballasts and that was pretty good out the bag too. 

I’ve used compressed bricks for ease aswell.

One thing with this is that I’ve found it to be a finer size than the “premium” coco and as such have generally needed to add perlite along with a charge or 1.0-1.5EC of Calmag to prebuffer before using but then I’ve also managed to just feed from the get go and later on in the grow found I needed the occasional CalMag only feed at current EC feeding strength for that time. 

the only times I add perlite is if I need quicker drainage for additional feeding frequency based on pot size. Anything over 11Litre pots I won’t use perlite. 

the smaller the pot then I’ll tend to add perlite as when you fertigate more frequently the coco can pack down a bit more especially once the pot has become full of roots.