Crow River

A Midsummer's Night Dream - Summer Solstice

The magical flower 'Love-in-idleness'

“The juice of it, on sleeping eyelids laid, / Will make or man or woman madly dote / Upon the next live creature that it sees.” 

large.DSC01320.jpeglarge.DSC01319.jpeg

Edited by Crow River
  • Like 5

The three Dr Jack Auto sisters are still in the propagator for now. I've tried removing the eldest original cutting a couple of times, but she wilted pretty quickly upon encountering sunshine. So I'm guessing she's not ready for the big time yet. All three are looking green and healthy, they're just taking their time it seems. If they do root properly and become viable, I'll make sure to train them early on so they don't shoot up too tall like their mum.

• Like 1

I've cut the tall Dr Jack Auto back a third time.

I took the twin tops as cuttings and they are in the propagator along with their sisters. Madness really, but maybe I can salvage something from all this. Time will tell... :wassnnme:

• Like 2

I must say I'm impressed by how much growth your first cut has put on.

Is she showing signs of flowering yet?

These autos do seem rather random.

I've got a Bloody Skunk auto that has started flowering really quick. She's perfectly formed but only eight inches tall :-)

My five weeks in flower and five weeks in the fridge cuts have both rooted and started new growth now.

The one in flower rooted first but it was a while before any new leaves appeared.

The fridge one has had a hell of a ride. At ten days she was looking a bit sad and as I was inspecting her I could see she wasn't rooting by rotating her by pushing at a leaf.

I had a close look at the bottom of the stem with a jewellers loupe to see if there were any signs of roots forming and found a tiny white worm eating away at it!

Worms...! In coco...!?!

I cut it again at another node and replanted it. A couple of weeks later and she's well away.

I can only assume the worm (egg) came from either the insect frass I inoculate the coco with or was in the bag I used to prepare the small batch of coco as it's the same bag I use when prepping small compost batches for seeds and clones. My compost does contain a large number of worms.

I look forward to seeing how your experiments progress.

• Like 1

@Wacky Wardrobe yeah Big Yield Auto Jnr is doing well. I keep thinking that I see signs of flowering starting, but then she just grows. However I am almost certain there are some white pistils now on the main "top" stem over on the left. So she could be starting now. Her mum has stretched in a very sativa fashion during flower, so I presume junior will too.

The other five (!!??!!) cuttings are enjoying the warmth and humidity of the propagator for now. I'll wait probably until the weekend before putting the oldest one at the windowsill, see how she gets on.

• Like 1

Day 26 since the Big Yield Auto Jnr made contact with soil. Some central branches were getting higher than others, so despite having entered flower now, I decided to spread her out a bit with some LST. This will open up lower buds to the light more. I'm sure she'll be fine and the various tops will soon bounce back. Very pleased with this girls so far. :) 

large.DSC01322.jpeglarge.DSC01323.jpeg

• Like 2

The eldest of the five cuttings I took from the original Dr Jack "Auto" is 17 days old. I'm pretty sure it has rooted now, and have popped it on the windowsill. She looks a bit droopy, but in fairness her sisters in the propagator and her tall mum are droopy too. It's just what this one does when there's no direct sunlight.  Importantly, she's not wilting. Reckon she'll harden off a bit by the window and then I'll look to pot up into her final. This will most likely be 5 or 7.5 litres rather than the 11 litres her mum is in. This and the other clones will be trained heavily to keep a low profile.

large.dr-jack-clone-day-17.jpg

• Like 2

Well she's back in the propagator today. Looked very sorry for herself when I checked on her just now. Not as bad as last time I tried this, but still clearly unhappy. Maybe I'll just do half a day in, half out for the next wee while to try and toughen her up a bit.

Just now, MonkeyBlazed said:

Spray it with some silver and make auto seeds

Which one? :) 

I have plenty of Big Yield Auto seeds, though they might not all turn out as good as this one has.

Yeah, maybe I'll get hold of some CS and mess around with the clones a bit once they're rooted fully.....might end up with some Dr Jack Auto S1 fem seeds...

Day 32 for Big Yield Auto Jnr. 

She's doing great. Continuing to grow while pistils spread around the tops. She may not make it to quite the size of her mum, but she is starting to fill out the tent horizontally. Not that much stretch yet, but give it time...

large.DSC01364.jpeglarge.DSC01366.jpeg

• Like 3

Over at the window today are two Dr Jack "Auto" clones. I took the cover off the propagator last night, and placed three out of the five clones at the window - basically the ones that did not wilt. However the first clone started to wilt in the sunshine, whereas these two seem to be loving it. I think I left too many leaves on the first clone, so she couldn't sustain the level of transpiration. I've now removed two lower large fan leaves and she's back in the propagator to recuperate for a bit. She'll join her sisters once recovered.

I will prepare a number of cuttings from the mum today as she is once again too big. But I'm not sure I have space for them all just now, so might pop them in the fridge for a bit until I know what to do with them.

I am definitely up for @MonkeyBlazed's suggestion of making some seeds from this lot. Once I have resources and a separate space organised, I'll try and make a "boy" from one of the clones, and either collect pollen or let one of its siblings indulge in a bt of incestuous breeding. 

Things are getting interesting on the windowsill! :D

large.DSC01374.jpeg

• Like 2

I now have a further six cuttings. Currently in bags in the fridge. Will probably keep them there until the two in the propagator have rooted, maybe a week. I'll be potting up the two at the window soon. One of them will be reversed, so I'll probably just use a fairly small final pot for that one as it won't need to get too big. I've plumped for collecting pollen, assuming the reversal is successful. Then once another clone is flowering I can pollinate partially or fully.

• Like 1