Catching the run off

Darknight420710

14 hours ago, Owderb said:

And another thing if that is perlite I can see. Drop the perlite. No need to add anything to coco. That is the point of coco

Owd

Thanks for that advice. I'm still learning and assumed coco was mixed with perlite by reading other diaries of 60/40 - 70/30 mixes. I'll defo do a grow without mixing it to see how things go

@Darknight420710 

Love the cobbled run off mate... I'm nicking that if that's okay with you? :thumsup: 

I've done something very similar with some mesh fencing, old pots  and off cuts of composite decking I had lying around in the garage. It's okay but a bit wobbly. 

• Like 1

Runoff is a bitch I admit, but once you get it plumbed up, it's a dream. Watering several times a day makes the plants thrive!! 

large.IMG-0270.JPGlarge.IMG-0273.JPG

• Like 5

@Slippy One I've got plans for this and also hard plumbing the flll up and waste pumps for RDWC - it's a grind having to connect unconnect connect unconnect connect unconnect - what sort of tray is that? I've seen some called Dutch trays I think 

• Like 1

@Puffdiddyexactly those, not the cheapest but worth every penny. The 25mm drain plugf I use is called a deck drain, as it sits almost flush, unlike most. :yep:

• Like 1

large.20200105_172750-1209x1612.jpg

This is my solution. 1m² garland tray with hole drilled for outlet in one corner that sits lower than the rest. The run off tank holds up to 30L and since this was taken I've now added a bilge pump which pumps the waste directly into the soil stack when it reaches a certain level

• Like 7

11 hours ago, BushDoctoR said:

large.20200105_172750-1209x1612.jpg

This is my solution. 1m² garland tray with hole drilled for outlet in one corner that sits lower than the rest. The run off tank holds up to 30L and since this was taken I've now added a bilge pump which pumps the waste directly into the soil stack when it reaches a certain level

thats the other option - to build or not to build

im syringing atm. from round trays and fabric pots. the paint tray thing sounds it could be a go-er

Im also thinking building a little frame for each pot (underneath, to lift 'em) so my round trays can slide in and out

shite at joinery tho'

mystic

• Like 1

On 02/05/2022 at 0:02 PM, mysticriver said:

bro im using ecothrive 70/30 coco 

did you ever have any issues (read: deficiencies) with calcium (or anything else) using ecothrive coco?

I have to calmag it to the moon atm. ro water

mystic

I've never had to use cal/mag in any coco mate, I just use a soft water version and never had a problem. 

Waters 0.2-0.4 out the tap depending on time of year. 

On 5/1/2022 at 7:02 PM, Darknight420710 said:

Cant believe 4 grows in ive finally found the perfect solution to catching the run off in a tray and even having the slope to allow collection at the front without moving my plants.

Drum roll.......... an emulsion tray for painting, absoloutely perfect and can collect 1.5pint before it even outs. Sitting on top ive got an old dog guard I used to use in the car and all 3 plants now sit evenly and drain away perfectly 

Just checked my ec 6wk in and going in 1.3 and coming out 0.4 ouch! 

Hi Darknight420710 

I like the problem solving you have done,I'm going to use a emulsion tray myself now, 

I've needed a remedy for run off from day 1( for 20 years) I have never seen anything for sale in a grow shop to suck up the run off ,I have had lots of spillages because of flimsy plant pot saucers/trays and you have to lift the plant up.

Brilliant idea Darknight..

Any chance of some pictures showing the remedy you have come up with.

@Skunkman.uk the photos are on 1st page  but here they are again 

large.Screenshot_20220503-194837_Gallery.jpg

Nothing really to look at except 3 emulsion trays with a dog guard on top and 3 sexy ladies on top lol

I find using a giant car washing sponge (mine is yellow ) ideal for mopping the run off up. I slide it under, compress it down so the run off soaks in and then squeeze dry in a bucket.. I then wipe the trays with hand towel so completely dry and ready to measure EC next time around and repeat cleaning cycle. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Darknight420710 said:

a giant car washing sponge

Get yourself a turkey baster.

You can get BIG syringes too.

• Like 4

On 01/05/2022 at 11:55 PM, Owderb said:

And another thing if that is perlite I can see. Drop the perlite. No need to add anything to coco. That is the point of coco

Owd

Says who?

• Like 1