Catching the run off

Darknight420710

Cant believe 4 grows in ive finally found the perfect solution to catching the run off in a tray and even having the slope to allow collection at the front without moving my plants.

Drum roll.......... an emulsion tray for painting, absoloutely perfect and can collect 1.5pint before it even outs. Sitting on top ive got an old dog guard I used to use in the car and all 3 plants now sit evenly and drain away perfectly 

Just checked my ec 6wk in and going in 1.3 and coming out 0.4 ouch! 

• Like 2

but can they sit in the run-off long enough to suck up to saturate the root ball?

• Like 1

Keep flushing feed through until runoff is the same. Will probably take a good few runs. Looks like the coco isn't buffered. Running feed through will eventually buffer it. For catching runoff, I use Medusa trays but that sounds like an idea.

Edited by catweazle1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ratdog said:

but can they sit in the run-off long enough to suck up to saturate the root ball?

No, I didn't think they had to sit in the run off. Most images I see growers have the pots elevated.

I'm going to be increasing the watering to x2 daily soon when in 12/12 so hope that will help with things 

Just now, Darknight420710 said:

I didn't think they had to sit in the run off.

i let mine sit in run off if they are a bit dry, usually they suck it up right away, but if you don't allow that moment it will all rush through the pots and not wet the root ball again properly, usually water just the right amount but will be trying coco so will have to deal with extra run off then

• Like 1

If you are around, water it 4x a day until it's ok. Next grow, when you first wet your coco, put about 1 - 1.5ec calmag in the water and leave it a few hours or overnight. Put the coco in your pots and plants, then run normal feed through as normal. 

Edited by catweazle1
  • Like 2

Thanks folks. 

I use the canna Pro coco and read it didnt need buffered and im using calmag in every feed as water doesn't even read on truncheon. 

I'll defo increase watering and fingers crossed things work out OK. 6wk in and its the 1st time I've checked EC, im just glad it's the lower scale and not a higher where I'm flushing! Did that last time and must've used 30litr to get things right again 

If you're 6 weeks in the coco will be buffered.

I use canna coco pro+ and I've never had to buffer it before, had too the last few bags of ecothrive coco I ran hence going back to the canna. 

I'd monitor your ec for a few more days before making any mad changes @Darknight420710 to make sure it's deffo right. Do your plants look hungry ?  

• Like 4

@ukbudz I don't know how to copy a link to a diary but I think my plants look alright. Maybe to dark but I did just neem them before lights out 

Its the same pro stuff I'm using. I'll increase watering over the next 2 to 3 days and will start to do more defoliating from 4 nodes down so another week or so they'll go all going well 

I dont know how to copy a link to a diary in here but here's some photos I took today 

large.Screenshot_20220501-184912_Gallery.jpglarge.Screenshot_20220501-184928_Gallery.jpglarge.Screenshot_20220501-184921_Gallery.jpg

Edited by Darknight420710
  • Like 10

4 hours ago, ratdog said:

In coco thats the last thing you want dude. 

it expands from a compressed block to usable substrate in minutes, so a normal pot will absorb water like a magnet vs your trusty compost dude. im using compost now 1st time indoors for years. its great :wallbash:

so ideally you want it totally drain to waste how this chap as set up here.  

• Like 5

And another thing if that is perlite I can see. Drop the perlite. No need to add anything to coco. That is the point of coco

Owd

• Like 7

12 hours ago, ukbudz said:

had too the last few bags of ecothrive coco

bro im using ecothrive 70/30 coco 

did you ever have any issues (read: deficiencies) with calcium (or anything else) using ecothrive coco?

I have to calmag it to the moon atm. ro water

mystic

• Like 3

16 hours ago, Darknight420710 said:

an emulsion tray for painting,

genius

mystic

• Like 1