Weed it and reap: 2022 garden grow

PermanentWaves

On 01/05/2022 at 10:42 AM, PermanentWaves said:

Hi, everyone - hope you’re all well. Excited to see everyone’s diaries starting for the new season, especially those of you having a go with the big pots!

This is the first time I’ve tried Seedstockers, so big thanks to @Seedstockers-Mark for the beans. I hadn’t got a clue what Mark would be sending me - I was praying it wouldn’t be a sativa strain as I don’t get on well with them. It would have been a bigger bonus if they were fast versions. So I was punching the air when he sent over some Cookies Fast Fems and some Gelato 41 Fast fems. I tried a couple of fast versions (Green Poison from Sweet Seeds) last year for the first time and was impressed with the earlier finish time (late Sept rather than late Oct) so looking forward to seeing how these new strains fare.

I’ve only been growing since 2018 and have done some Dinafem diaries in the past so hopefully I can keep these girls alive to finish a diary.

The girls will be growing in my garden, getting as much sun as possible. I also have a couple of greenhouses, so use these when we have wet weather; otherwise they’ll be outside sunning themselves as much as possible.

I’m using fabric pots again, and Biobizz All Mix. I used this compost last year for the first time and was really impressed with it. I don’t think I had to use any fish mix/bloom at all with my autos as the compost seemed to hold nutrients during the whole grow. 

So this is the first time I’ve tried one of the “Cali” strains - it’ll be interesting to see how she copes with the UK weather. If anyone else has tried them, let me know how you got on with bud rot, etc. My first year of growing, 2018, was a freak year as we had that glorious summer. Since then it seems to have been battle of the mould!

Anyway, enough rambling. Last Sunday, I popped the beans in some water for a soak for 24 hours. On Monday I sowed them. 

On Friday, the Gelato was the first to pop her head above soil. And yesterday, the Cookies said hello to her new world.

large.F7A07238-7D69-4169-91F5-EE3977D1DD0B.jpeg

large.2C741BB1-FD16-44B1-B6DD-BD6C9ECF3CEC.jpeg

So, we’re up and running for 2022. Good luck to everyone this year. Looking forward to reading everyone’s diaries. May we be blessed with plenty of good weather and some fantastic harvests! 

:hippy:

Looking good pal. Good luck with the grow.

There are a few of us doing the same strains, cookies fast and Gelato 41 autos.

The cookies we’re taking a fair while to get going in a tent but as soon as they went outside seemed to explode.

haven’t put the Gelato out yet but should be latter part of this week.

You should have no issue growing trees with these strains.

• Like 4

Hi, everyone - hope you’re doing ok.

Not much to update as the girls get into their veggie growth spurts. The weather here has been lovely - bit chilly at night and first thing, but warm and breezy during the day; perfect!

The Cookie FV is my biggest girl. She’s really shot up in the past week and is looking good.

large.8B20EB50-6F59-454C-AFFC-BAD7BEA62308.jpeg

The Gelato FV has an issue with curling leaves. One of my autos has also got this problem. Since I took this photo yesterday, the curling has got worse. Blooming typical. What do you think? Maybe overwatering? The pots are still pretty heavy so plenty of moisture in them below the surface, despite being quite dry on top.

large.5F26BDA0-97E0-41BB-ABA0-990CD946A884.jpeg

I decided to germinate another Gelato a few weeks ago as one of my other seeds failed. Here’s Gela2 (geddit)! She’s a week behind the other two but looking good. She went into her final pot yesterday.

large.5F03B6CC-C729-49F8-8051-5BCFD6033BD4.jpeg

It’s a pain having that curly leaf problem. Why can’t grows be straight forward - grrrrr. Oh well, it’s all part of the learning (and failure) curve. Anyway, not much of an update, but at least they’re all still alive (famous last words)! Take care, all!

• Like 9

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, everyone - hope you’re all well. Haven’t updated much as the girls are vegging away nicely, but they’ve had some growth spurt so better upload some piccies.

First up is the Cookies FV - she’s coming along nicely but is already showing flower. Is there too much auto in her - seems, very, very early to be flowering already. I’m sure @Revive has the same issue? This girl has been grown purely outdoors so no forced light cycle or anything. I topped her last week as well. Had I known she’d be this early, I wouldn’t have topped her. Hopefully this won’t affect her too much.

large.4272EE6E-8453-4882-BBD0-2D71321D33B5.jpeglarge.02A03558-F67B-45DE-9902-80DD63B7AC1D.jpeg

The Gelato FV is up next. She’s still got this weird leaf-curling going in and she’s as ugly as f**k. There’s no way she’s winning any beauty pageants. On the plus side, she’s growing well so hopefully all is not lost.

large.635362C6-D326-4EBA-AD2B-7E17DCC25FD5.jpeg

And lastly is Gelato number 2, or Gela2! She’s a week or so behind the other two, but vegging away nicely in the sun. The weather hasn’t been too bad here so they’ve been outside more than in the greenhouse. Long may that continue.

large.8E18EC7F-B140-4A77-B756-7380D320A881.jpeg

So that’s the latest. It’ll be interesting to see if that Cookie FV continues to flower. At least I might get an early smoke :hippy:.

Take care, all!

• Like 12

Just now, PermanentWaves said:

I’m sure @Revive has the same issue?

Hey buddy.. well I must say your 1 looks better them mine.. illget a upon a stick I think as of side branching either..she about 14 inches tall and flowering fast.. still in thetent been on a strict 18/6 but still this is what we have with her.

Her sister is on the plot and was initially flying but again isn't doing great, her top seems like it is started to shrivel a bit.. she just dont look happy mate.. hope yours turn out ok dude.

Be lucky :yinyang:

• Like 5

4 hours ago, Revive said:

Hey buddy.. well I must say your 1 looks better them mine.. illget a upon a stick I think as of side branching either..she about 14 inches tall and flowering fast.. still in thetent been on a strict 18/6 but still this is what we have with her.

Her sister is on the plot and was initially flying but again isn't doing great, her top seems like it is started to shrivel a bit.. she just dont look happy mate.. hope yours turn out ok dude.

Be lucky :yinyang:

Thanks, @Revive - your photo looked pretty good. I’ve seen a lot worse (usually mine)! I’ve probably ruined my Cookie by topping her. I don’t know how topping an auto will affect her. Hey ho!

• Like 3

18 hours ago, PermanentWaves said:

Thanks, @Revive - your photo looked pretty good. I’ve seen a lot worse (usually mine)! I’ve probably ruined my Cookie by topping her. I don’t know how topping an auto will affect her. Hey ho!

Just reread my message i sent.. fuk was i stoned or what lol.. you got what I was trying to say so that's all good mate.. she got put out in the wild last night so lets see how she performs bro.. folk tend not to top autos and opt for last training.  Im guessing its just the loss in recovery time that is the issue and not so much if they can handle it.. there a ticking clock from germination imo so no real time to waste if we want the best of them.. ill be keeping and eye on yours mate.. ill report on mine but its in plain sight so can only visit her at night.. I may get sneaky early morn 1 if I get  the chance.. 

Good luck with her dude :yep:

Edited by Revive
  • Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Evening, everyone - hope you’re doing ok. Not much to update on apart from the Cookies FV is definitely an auto as she’s in full flower now. She’s not going to be the biggest, but she’s starting to bush out now. Me topping her has probably delayed her growth but she’s doing ok.

large.5E237884-57D8-4941-9B31-B7F771A3FC2A.jpeg

large.9F0E9412-199E-4D9D-B289-DF31F2CBCB22.jpeg

My Gelato FV number 1 is doing quite well now after a shaky start. She had terrible leaf curl which I’m sure was down to the compost being too wet early on, but they’re all under a strict wet-dry cycle now so she’s recovered quite well. I’ve found that letting fabric pots go as dry as possible before watering also helps prevent stem rot - something else I’ve endured early on in my growing days. So here’s number 1:

large.326957F7-7CF3-467A-993A-98DC4E284DA6.jpeg

Gelato FV number 2 is about a week or so behind her sister, but she’s vegging away nicely. No signs of flowers in either of these two so hopefully these will harvest end of Sept. I think both of these girls are going to get really tall. I’ve already got the longest stakes in their pot and they’ll be outgrowing these soon.

large.05F3BF9E-AB65-4F1D-A0B9-946BEDAE98BF.jpeg

And lastly a quick shot of all my girls, hiding amongst some other garden shrubs. I’m doing a few autos as well - White Widow, OG Kush, Summer Berry Kush and Haze - all older freebie seeds I’m using up each year.

large.4376FA84-D6FE-47BE-B13F-9F83EEE438CD.jpeg

I’m going to have to start spreading these out a bit as it’s getting crowded on there! The weather here in East Anglia hasn’t been too bad - pretty dry, warmish and plenty of wind, so let’s hope it stays that way - strengthen those stems up a bit! Anyway, have a good everyone and keep those updates coming! :hippy:

• Like 11

• 2 weeks later...
On 26/06/2022 at 8:31 PM, PermanentWaves said:

Not much to update on apart from the Cookies FV is definitely an auto as she’s in full flower now

So sorry about this mate :(

We are using Cookies fast also in the 420l competition so I'll check to see if anyone else had had the same issue  :yep:

Apart from the girl Autoflowering everything else looks spot on ;)

Keep the outdoor updates coming :cheers:

• Like 6

Hi, everyone - hope you’re all ok.

Well it’s been a sweltering week here in the east of England and set to get even hotter over the weekend into next week. The girls are loving it, though. I must be the only person around here not wanting any rain for a little while yet - if it stays like this I might get to harvest a plant when it’s actually ready, rather than a week early as always seems to be the case. I’m usually fighting mould at this stage of flowering so fingers’ crossed it stays dry for a couple more weeks.

The Cookies FV (now an auto) is getting near the finish line. There’s still lots of popcorn buds lower down so when I do harvest her, I’ll leave the lower flowers to keep growing and hopefully get a second harvest. At least I know that you can top an auto without ruining it. I don’t know whether I’ll get more buds from her than I would have if I hadn’t topped her, but it’s an early smoke so I can’t complain. She might have a couple more weeks to go.

Here she is:

large.AB2129C7-8F2C-4B9E-9175-D20A1B7915A4.jpeg

large.A31DC4FB-EA05-426D-A17B-47A50C16C747.jpeglarge.F4EA29CE-C1D8-4D13-9C6D-9D0A141CFA9C.jpeglarge.3936CDEB-5BA0-49A1-98F2-5A8CF5BFAE7A.jpeg

The two Gelato FVs are vegging nicely. I think I can see a few pistils starting to show - this seems about right. The two fast version strains I grew last year started flowing in mid July so these two are following the same pattern. Both plants have been ravaged by insects, but they usually do in my garden, especially as we have a lot of fruit trees. It’s the caterpillars I’m always on the lookout for because those damn things can ruin your bud in a few days.

large.B85D2413-E5DA-4908-813D-5D421453F0A4.jpeg

So that’s all for the latest update. I feel for any of you guerilla growers fighting this drought at the moment, especially if you’re in the south-east. Must be a nightmare lugging tonnes of water to your girls. I guess it’s preferable to weeks of endless rain. Anyway, enjoy the weather if you like it scorchio! :pitchfork:

• Like 11

• 3 weeks later...

Hey everyone - hope you’re all doing ok. Just a quick update from me on the Cookies FV (now an auto). She’s done and been harvested this week. She wasn’t a huge plant but I got a nice Kilner jar’s worth out of her. She smells extremely fruity and was lovely and frosty. Here in this part of East Anglia, we haven’t had any rain at all for about two months. It’s been an incredible growing season. I harvested five autos this week - not a spot of mould on any of them and they have been permanently outside. This is the first time this has happened and I’m not complaining. The only issue is that they dried out really quickly as it’s been so hot but, again, this is preferable to trying to dry them in damp, high humidity conditions.

As the bud dried quickly I’ve managed to have a sneak vape. All I can say is wow! It’s such a creamy flavour - reminds me of a nice Cream Caramel I grew a few years ago. And it hits pretty hard as well. This is definitely a lazy day/night smoke and sucked all the moisture out of my eyes. I wish I’d grown another now - maybe next year. 

Anyway, here’s a few pix of her just before I cut her down.

large.8650C359-0136-49D3-AE18-EF76BBBC86E5.jpeglarge.5A40DE65-E9EB-4791-8807-8E9BD09B82D8.jpeg

large.6C3E1B70-88E4-482A-A035-CB23762B7DCD.jpeglarge.FC51DD20-13A6-4E3B-B107-F257E65B2D3B.jpeg

So just the two Gelato FVs left standing. I thought I’d seen some pistils on them a few weeks ago, but it was a false alarm. However, checking today, I think they’re both just started flowering, so maybe looking at late Sept/early Oct harvest all being well. No doubt the weather gods will even things out and make it the wettest autumn ever and it’ll be a mould-fest - fingers’ crossed for an Indian summer!

Take care, all :hippy:

• Like 8