Weed it and reap: 2022 garden grow

PermanentWaves

Hi, everyone - hope you’re all well. Excited to see everyone’s diaries starting for the new season, especially those of you having a go with the big pots!

This is the first time I’ve tried Seedstockers, so big thanks to @Seedstockers-Mark for the beans. I hadn’t got a clue what Mark would be sending me - I was praying it wouldn’t be a sativa strain as I don’t get on well with them. It would have been a bigger bonus if they were fast versions. So I was punching the air when he sent over some Cookies Fast Fems and some Gelato 41 Fast fems. I tried a couple of fast versions (Green Poison from Sweet Seeds) last year for the first time and was impressed with the earlier finish time (late Sept rather than late Oct) so looking forward to seeing how these new strains fare.

I’ve only been growing since 2018 and have done some Dinafem diaries in the past so hopefully I can keep these girls alive to finish a diary.

The girls will be growing in my garden, getting as much sun as possible. I also have a couple of greenhouses, so use these when we have wet weather; otherwise they’ll be outside sunning themselves as much as possible.

I’m using fabric pots again, and Biobizz All Mix. I used this compost last year for the first time and was really impressed with it. I don’t think I had to use any fish mix/bloom at all with my autos as the compost seemed to hold nutrients during the whole grow. 

So this is the first time I’ve tried one of the “Cali” strains - it’ll be interesting to see how she copes with the UK weather. If anyone else has tried them, let me know how you got on with bud rot, etc. My first year of growing, 2018, was a freak year as we had that glorious summer. Since then it seems to have been battle of the mould!

Anyway, enough rambling. Last Sunday, I popped the beans in some water for a soak for 24 hours. On Monday I sowed them. 

On Friday, the Gelato was the first to pop her head above soil. And yesterday, the Cookies said hello to her new world.

large.F7A07238-7D69-4169-91F5-EE3977D1DD0B.jpeg

large.2C741BB1-FD16-44B1-B6DD-BD6C9ECF3CEC.jpeg

So, we’re up and running for 2022. Good luck to everyone this year. Looking forward to reading everyone’s diaries. May we be blessed with plenty of good weather and some fantastic harvests! 

:hippy:

• Like 17

Just now, B-real said:

2018 was a cracker! 

2nd hottest summer on record, and hottest since 1976 !

• Like 6

4 hours ago, PermanentWaves said:

“Cali” strains

Dunno if Wedding Cake counts but I put a cut of that out last year as I was running it indoors.

It did really well considering the late plant out and minimal/ non existent prep.

• Like 4

good luck 

hopefully the weather's on side this year

I'm be following ya diary

Atb

• Like 4

@PermanentWaves good luck buddy.

Lots of us are running the same so be interesting to see everyone's approach and results as to what worked best for these ladys..

Be lucky mate :yinyang:

• Like 4

@PermanentWaves Best of luck this season mate  ;)

Really excited to see what you can do with our "Fast" strains  :yep:

Bring it on :headbang:

Kind regards  :bong:

Mark..

• Like 3

Hi, everyone - hope you’re all doing well.

I’m into week 2 and the girls are going well. The Gelato was looking really leggy in her nursery pot so she and the Cookie are now in their final 20L fabric pots. This means they’ve also moved into the greenhouse at night, which hopefully won’t be too much of a shock. It’s supposed to be double-figure temps at night here for the next week so plastic covers and plenty of fleece should keep them protected.

Here’s the Gelato Fast. As you can see, her leaves aren’t fanning out in a straight line; they seem to be pointing backwards a bit, which I haven’t seen before. I’m sure it won’t be an issue, though.

large.79F622FF-AC05-4D8C-9BB1-91FE9824D4EC.jpeg

The Cookie Fast (below) also in her final pot.

large.E2933839-5EB4-4EB1-A5A8-1F707D221982.jpeg

I had planned on growing a fast version seed from last year (Green Poison), but it didn’t germinate properly, so I thought I’d pop another Gelato instead.

Gelato2 germinated on Saturday and here she is:

large.55C42F7C-2304-4E65-9AEA-AE46C4863EBA.jpeg

It’ll be interesting to see if her leaves stick out straight. It certainly looks like it from here. The other one did have quite curly leaves when she emerged from the shell.

So it looks like the weather could be warming up next week, and it still looks fairly dry and warmish down here at Latitude 52 for the next few days.

The snails are also out in force so need to keep a close eye on the greenhouse. One night last year I put a clear plastic cover over one of my seedlings (Industrial Plant CBD)  not realising there was a small snail stuck on the inside of the lid. Needless to say it had a right old feast overnight and left just a stalk. Amazingly, the plant still survived. The snail didn’t! 

Anyway, have a great week everyone. :hippy:

• Like 9

Following! Have great admiration for outdoor growers in the UK. Don't think my nerves would hold.

Are you just starting seed in the greenhouse, then moving outdoors when old enough?

Also, snails aside... Do you get any other insect/pest problems?

• Like 2

Hi @Groking_ - we’ve had nice weather this week so the seedlings have been outside under some trees because it was too hot in the greenhouse. I was bringing them in at night as it’s been pretty cold. Now they’re in the final pots, they’ll stay in the greenhouse at night and out in the garden during the day (unless the weather is really foul).

Garden grow plants are plagued by all sorts of critters. Snails/slugs/greenfly/spider mites/leaf miners - I’ve had problems with most. It’s fighting mould and stem-rot that’s worse. What must it be like to grow in a country with a really dry climate!

• Like 3

5 hours ago, PermanentWaves said:

What must it be like to grow in a country with a really dry climate!

We still have the same issues, just less often.

• Like 2