Bluelab PH pen won't calibrate

Darknight420710

Well im pleased to report back after forgetting I put my other bluelab in rice I checked it after 5 days and it calibrated on both 7 and 4 and was bang on par with my new one. 

Needless to say I dropped some of the storage fluid in the cap and put it back in the box out if sight so ill have a spare when and if the time comes thst my new one plays up 

• Like 2

It's good to have two with one as a reference. Besides, sods law says it will break down at the worst possible time and you'll be strapped for cash to buy a new one.

Edited by catweazle1
  • Like 2

I’ve got a right grave yard of bluelab ph pens lol I’ve just come to know that usually everything is alright without them with the nutrients I use .. now my ec truncation has packed in .. I since use mills per l. Feel like I’m working blind a bit but it saves me some serious cash 

• Like 1

@OddNut I could probably wing it fairly well now without ec or pHing and just a disposable pipette for measuring. When I'm experimenting though I would still need them to nail down parameters so they can be noted as a number.

@catweazle1 I’ve got sloppy in my ways Tbf i get what your saying but it can be done without as im finding out .. however I’ve been chasing an fe deficiency for a few days now and only just sussed it out…. I didn’t have any of my lights on lol sloppy to the max 

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Seriously these pens are SHIT!! 

I can say that as ive now got 2. 

Sucked in to buy the best. Most accurate pen on the market, self calibration blah blah blah.. fucking complete and utter shite!!

Last one stopped working so went and bought a new one thinking it may be my fault it stopped working... don't know how as all I do is still the fecker in a bucket about an inch under water!!

But after buying ny new one it started again

Anyway now my new one less than 4wk old is stuck on 6.7 and flucruates on shakes and no its not the ph of my tap water. 

Cant calibrate as it just reads 7 when putting in buffer 4. 

The way things are going this is going to be my last grow in coco because I've spent nearly £200 on PH pens buy 2 bluelabs, an essentials and other cheap ones

So frustrating when you know your mix is NOT 6.8 on 1 dip then 5.5 on the other pen and your plants want fed. 

I was told I'm the only one who moan at the hydro shop and they have a new batch but can't be that fecking new if serial code is only 3 digit difference. 

Monday morning rant!

@Darknight420710 - I'm not the biggest fan of BlueLab (despite having at least 4 of their devices) but your issue sounds really strange and I'm guesing your local shop is just assuming user error.

Anyway, looks like in the US they are really into Hanna and Apera, migth be worth giving one of them a go and reporting back. I'm been looking at one of the Apera's for a while but my BLueLab keeps on working so holding off for now

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Darknight420710 said:

I've spent nearly £200 on PH pens buy 2 bluelabs, an essentials and other cheap ones

how about some litmus paper

mystic

• Like 1

Just now, mysticriver said:

how about some litmus paper

mystic

Never heards of it but I'll have a Google 

Anything that helps appreciated 

2 hours ago, Darknight420710 said:

Never heards of it but I'll have a Google

Good to hear the rice thing kind of worked.

I did mention earlier in the thread:

On 24/04/2022 at 8:52 PM, Wacky Wardrobe said:

A side note about litmus paper for a backup plan.

I just went and found something I remember seeing before.

They do litmus papers with narrow ranges for better accuracy.

I found they do one that's ideal for our purposes.

Google: Comparator Paper PH 5.2 - 6.7, 5M Reel.

Only a few quid for a 5 metre reel.

• Like 2